Bachmann Desiro's

smg201

Despite my comment above - the last build of SR EMU's to have actual shoebeams (where the shoegear is physically attached to and supported by the beam) were the 4-CEP's. Everything since has the shoegear mounted centrally on a pivot within the bogie and the "shoebeam" merely provides support for the outer end of the shoe arm. This also accounts for the difference between the meaty beams fitted to 4-CEP's and everything before and the lightweight beams on all post 4-CEP units.

Had an odd running-in session last night Set the unit off on my old failthfull duette mid speed half wave and it went off nice and even then after ten minutes its speed doubled and did this every ten minutes during the half an hour. most odd. Tried with another loco and no increase in speed.

Cant say I had this before, the unit is smooth and stutter free so not sure what it was...

No obvious noise or blockage very controllable bar the spurts...

Ian

I have been told before that many modern motors like a nice smooth voltage rather than a half wave supply...

But that still sounds very strange.

I ran mine in on a rolling road with a small Beatties DC controller which I got given some time back. Mine did nothing unexpected.

Thanks Pete,

It was most odd, its had a small run today an no surges what so ever.

Its not like I havent run other things in a similair way. There are no worries with it other than these speed bursts!

Ian

I have been told before that many modern motors like a nice smooth voltage rather than a half wave supply...

But that still sounds very strange.

I ran mine in on a rolling road with a small Beatties DC controller which I got given some time back. Mine did nothing unexpected.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up probably relevent in view of bachmanns price increases.

desiro 350 238 (I think) london midland livery still £106 pre order price at hattons

Same model now £144 at rails sheffield so if you want one I suggest getting your pre-order in now for what could be a bargain! They are due any day.

(I have done)!

mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just rec my 350 238 excellent and a good price £106 from Hattons worth the

wait just one possible problem I have encounterd the destination board only seens to

work in one direction and does not come on in the other direction all other

lights are perfect I have fitted a decoder have I missed something

all coaches are connected in the correct order

TIA

David

Edited by bluefredie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

350101 made a foray north via Blackmill and the S&C for some trials in Scotland...........

post-408-0-17047200-1334100430_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Si Bendall for the inspiration on DEMU with a link to these recent photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northamptontoffeeman/6907667558/

The upcoming Hornby 67 has already found a train to work

I'd already made a start on the IFA/FIA converter wagons and this was a good opportunity to see if my coupling between the flats and the 350 worked - it did! Details of the coupling work will be on my NYWB thread soon.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

Saw a similar picture on another site, tempting but I'm going to hold off, in the hope of a 450 arriving one day..

Mick, yours is looking good. did you manage to work out a way to get it to free wheel or did you set the chip the same as the 66?

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Saw a similar picture on another site, tempting but I'm going to hold off, in the hope of a 450 arriving one day..

Mick, yours is looking good. did you manage to work out a way to get it to free wheel or did you set the chip the same as the 66?

Cheers

Scott

Made to freewheel by removing the driveshaft and worm, elctrical isolation by removing the 21 pin blank. I could reinstate it back to a working unit in about 15 minutes, of which about 10 would be removing and replcing the body!

Hi,

For those who are modelling Southern Region, you have another excuse reason to run a LM 350, 350120 was towed to Northam Traincare Facility to use the Wheel Lathe as the one at Northampton wasn't working:

The final push for doing the 350 drag was the above move - done with 2xVGA's at either end. Go to youtube and flickr.com and search 7Z01 and 7X42 for more desiro drags and train formations.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cracking picture mick.would you recommend the model? Cheers,bob

Thanks and yes - this was a test run to prove the consist worked and fitted in the storage roads on Blackmill. I'll do some more work to weather up the stock and detail the coupling between the IFA and the 350.

Hopefully will be ready for Derby in May.

Cheers,

Mick

• 1 month later...

Now that these have been out for some time are any retailers able to state how they have sold indicating if we can expect anymore overhead EMU's from Bachmann. Iwould ask Bachmann but I think they may consider this info commercially beneficial to a rival!!

I have been keeping an eye on the hattons website though and while the plain grey version remains at over 10 in stock, the two other versions a couple of times now have whittled down to non in stock only to be replenished and whittle down again. I note the Bachmann site shows all 3 versions still available from Bachmann.

cheers

mark

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Bump !

Seems like I'm obsessed with brake discs.. Maybe it's a problem I've got to admit.

Anyway.... I was thinking about the 350s - stunning model. I was convinced that the discs had been modelled but no, nothing. Silly shiny wheels.

So, I've mused some more. Finally settled on some Colin Craig 8.5mm discs - for me it makes a big difference. Photos attached of front set weathered (but no discs) and weathered (with discs).

post-1261-0-12879800-1366913756.jpg

post-1261-0-85077800-1366913766.jpg

post-1261-0-91709900-1366913777.jpg

Regards

Nick

• Like 4

Cheers Tase

You know I was just gonna say that PCAs don't have brake discs ....but I've found a picture that shows the discs...

Makes me wonder.... Are there differences ? The Hornby wagons have 3 hole wheels so I just assumed they were correct....maybe they are and they aren't ?

Anyone know ?

Cheers Tase

You know I was just gonna say that PCAs don't have brake discs ....but I've found a picture that shows the discs...

Makes me wonder.... Are there differences ? The Hornby wagons have 3 hole wheels so I just assumed they were correct....maybe they are and they aren't ?

Anyone know ?

PM sent.

Cheers Tase

Makes me wonder.... Are there differences ?

Bit OT - but it depends on the specific wagon you are modelling - some PCA had clasp brakes, some disk brakes...

Paul BB - Colin was kind enough to send me a sample of a few discs when I ordered some others recently.

I offered up the selection and the 8.5mm was the best fit.

I've ordered some of them to cover the 350s I have - size was CC06W

Super glued on (the gel type) after painting wheel rim with Railmatch underframe dirt

They don't foul the electrical pick ups or the running of the wheel.

Can't wait to get the delivery and do a complete 350 4 car.

Glorious NSE - thanks for the info, I'll keep it brief because as you say it's going well OT !

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick,

That does make a difference, didn't realise they had not been modelled. However strictly speaking, the brake discs on 185/350/360/450/444 are 1 piece brake discs. The discs you have used are sometimes referred to as split discs or 2 piece discs, basically 2 half segments make up each disc face on either side (inside/outside) of each wheel.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon

Useful info. In that case Colin's CC08W is not split and might be better. I think the drilled holes in the discs aren't right for the 350 but overall I can live with that !

As is usual, I looked through reference pictures - duly couldn't find many good shots. Came across one that looked like the discs were split but that must be an illusion.

Question is...do I now change my order??? I will offer up a CC08W to see ...