Bachmann Desiro's

smg201

I can state that the SWT 450s have one piece discs after having a guided tour underneath one from end to end a few years ago, I asked how the inside discs were changed ans was told that one wheel had to be drifted off the axle.

Seems like a lot of work just to change discs but he said that the wheels normally wore out and needed changing before the discs (good old regen doing most of the braking) which were then changed at the same time as the wheels.

Edited by royaloak

If it's of use, attached are a couple of shots from underneath a Desiro. These were taken from a 444 at the Siemens open day at Northam last year, but the bogies/wheelsets are the same.

post-7258-0-63041800-1367443575_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-35205300-1367443591_thumb.jpg

I may have to get a set of the Colin Craig discs as well, got a 350 I've been meaning to weather up, so a set of discs will be a nice touch!

Andy.

Edited by SWT442
  • Like 1

That is a very useful picture Andy

Thing to decide on now is whether I fit internal discs too. It may be possible if the wheel sets pull apart as normal.

Will check later on and advise....

Regards

Nick

Non-powered wheels, no problem, they will just pull apart:

post-1261-0-00761800-1367478910.jpg

Powered bogie might represent a problem:

post-1261-0-41219500-1367478932.jpg

Question is........ how much of the inner wheel surface will be visible and is it worth doing ?

The discs are probably too small and don't have the right drill pattern.

I think I'll do a set with the outer faces only to start with - even if the pattern isn't correct it's gonna look better anyway

Regards

Nick

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Who saw that SWT Class 450 on Model Rail's stand at Warley.

A custom repaint by Dave Lowry I believe, but maybe a teaser for a future limited edition??????

yes that was rather nice, externally are 350s identical to 450s (bar the pantograph) i.e. windows in the same place etc

I was delighted to see it and when I asked at the stand I was told that there would be two exclusive Model Rail versions with different destinations/numbers coming out. It had been agreed with Bachmann. Good news

Actually I was aware of that when I posted but wanted someone else to give the definitive answer. :no:

yes that was rather nice, externally are 350s identical to 450s (bar the pantograph) i.e. windows in the same place etc

The first batch of 350/1 units were part of a cancelled order for five car 450s. To all intents and purposes they are the same as the 450s with the addition of a pantograph and 25kV underfloor module. Seating and interior furnishings would be different as they would have been done to Silverlink specifications when they took over the order.

That's brilliant news, put me down for both. It's interesting that Bachmann have decided against selling it themselves. I wonder if they've looked at sales of the slam-door third-rail stock and the 350s and decided producing it as a third party commission is a risk worth taking.

I wonder if they've looked at sales of the slam-door third-rail stock and the 350s and decided producing it as a third party commission is a risk worth taking.

I thought the whole point with commissions, is that there is almost no risk for the manufacturer?

The commissioning party takes on all or most of the risk

It will be interesting to see the price asked for the MR specials since I have already converted a cut-price class 350/1 to a 450 using Electra Railway Graphics overlays. Without counting the cost of my labour (it was a labour of love!!!), I paid £119 for the unit, plus postage to Australia but minus VAT, and around £30 or so for the ERG vinyls. If MR come up with a price of less than £150 I would gladly buy one. If it is dearer, I would look to go down the route I have already followed if I wanted a second unit.

Bachmannclass450-23_zps161c45a3.jpg

• Like 4

Electrostar, on 24 Nov 2013 - 15:33, said:

...keeping all profits for itself.

Bachmann probably do a bit better per unit on a commission than on a mainstream release as it has a guaranteed market for the entire production batch and a single point of sale/return for that batch. The cash flow situation is also presumably better as well, as there would likely be staged payments from the commissioning party throughout the process whereas with a normal release the entire cost of production is on the manufacturer right up until they start taking money for orders from retailers (who also have a mark up on these remember...).

Now on Model Rail's Facebook Page-:

The most popular item in our display case this weekend was this SWT Class 450 Desiro resprayed by Dave Lowery for a forthcoming article in Model Rail. We're in negotiations with Bachmann to commission a 'OO' limited edition for 2014. Who wants one?

I did notice this too, although it's not in my modelling area I've commuted on these for a while now I would certainly take one. But considering there is 127 of them in the South West Trains Fleet, the response by Bachmann does somewhat surprise me - SWT models are rather popular down this way, indeed having shared it via Facebook I now know of at least 7 friends who would also take one too so Model Rail better be ready for producing a fair number of them.

Bachmann say they have no plans to do it, so a limited edition commission is the only way we're going to get one as things stand

I hope MR are able to get a good price from Bachmann for it, as thats the biggest hurdle at the moment (Well said by MR staff on Sunday) Also mentioned that drawed most people over to the stand as well.

Although prefer LM i would be tempted to get one, if the price is right.

Chris

A South West Trains 450 (or two, if their in different unit numbers) for me please! I might even be tempted to buy one of the London Midland 350/1s to compliment it. As London Midland sub leased some units to Southern for their Milton Keynes to East Croydon services, the two units would have met each other around Clapham Junction.

82C

A South West Trains 450 (or two, if their in different unit numbers) for me please! I might even be tempted to buy one of the London Midland 350/1s to compliment it. As London Midland sub leased some units to Southern for their Milton Keynes to East Croydon services, the two units would have met each other around Clapham Junction.

82C

And you've got the option of a visiting London Midland 350 to Northam Depot as well, which could even give you a reason for a Network Rail 57/3.

• Like 1