Bachmann Desiro's

smg201

• RMweb Premium

Is that a converted GUV?

Previous identity was 96385 (6322 - 96386, 6323 - 96387, 6325 - 93973). Apparently they are now at Siemens Northampton depot, but unused for awhile.

Cheers,

Mick

EDIT - typo 6326 amended to 6323

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Previous identity was 96385 (6322 - 96386, 6326 - 96387, 6325 - 93973). Apparently they are now at Siemens Northampton depot, but unused for awhile.

Cool :) So potentially something Bachmann could tool up reasonably easily if they wanted to, or at the least reasonably easy to convert and bodge.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Are the barrier wagons the former EPS wagons (TOPS code AYA) used as Eurostar barrier wagons? They certainly look very similar.

http://www.semgonlin...eurostar01.html

I built a pair of these a few years ago to run with a Kato Eurostar; and I recall I sent the drawings to the DEMU drawing sevice, in case anyone needs them!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple of retailers at the Glasgow Ex are expecting a delivery of green 350's this coming week...........

EDIT - Hattons showing 350102 in stock

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

So, are any loonies out there planning to convert one of these to a Class 185, or do I have to go first?

Cheers,

Will

If you are proposing to cut up one of the (20m) centre cars to make the other three into 23m long vehicles, then good luck!

Cheers,

Mick

Odd that the publicity pics changed from 350101 to 350102.

My 350101 has already had a run-in session & had its sound chip fitted.

Shoes sit a little lower than my 2-EPB so I had to lower my conductor rail just a touch.

I am well impressed with the model. It was worth the wait. It will look good on the AC layout (when I build it :scratchhead:) in multiple with the 350/2 when it arrives.

• RMweb Premium

(Don't know what happened with the original text....)

I swapped a 238 on order for a 101 as I fancied a shoebeam fitted version

It's the first EMU I've ever bought and first impressions are very good.

I haven't had chance to run it, but fitting of sound looks easy - I presume Pete above will confirm/deny.

post-408-0-08109100-1330473293_thumb.jpg

There is some nice underframe detail - shoebeams and sandpipes

post-408-0-85543400-1330473315_thumb.jpg

And a big bag of bits for the cables between cars - "only for static display" according to the instructions. There is also a clip-on air dam/obstacle deflector that fits in the NEM socket and dummy Scharfenberg couplers.

post-408-0-72053400-1330473343_thumb.jpg

The panto is particularly nice, but the aerofoil sections stay angled downwards when the panto is raised.

post-408-0-80414900-1330473369_thumb.jpg

And this also arrived in the same package so I can do a delivery run. I have to find out how to simply demotor the unit until I build a layout with OLE! I'm also going to have a clser look at the working Scharfenbergs as supplied via Charlie Petty.

post-408-0-83264300-1330473420_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

If you are proposing to cut up one of the (20m) centre cars to make the other three into 23m long vehicles, then good luck!

In a word, yes!

...although (yes, I'm back-pedalling already :rolleyes: ) this would also depend on the sizes of the windows. If a 4-car class 350 can yield enough windows of the correct sizes for a 185 then this would make the job more achieveable.

Of course, when I'm about three-quarters of the way through the conversion Bachmann will bring out a RTR Class 185, so I'd be doing it for the benefit of fellow modellers!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

but fitting of sound looks easy - I presume Pet above will confirm/deny.

Yes.

The decoder socket is inside an underframe box which is held on by 1 screw (full marks to Bachmann for this). It is designed to hold a small speaker too but Olivia's recommend that a bigger one in its own case will provide better sound, so I went with their recommendation. The only drawback is that this needs to sit in the passenger compartment so you can see it through the window...just about. I had to cut the speaker box about a bit to fit inside.

The body itself is held on by 4 screws then a sharp pull will lift it from the chassis without any danger of damage.

I'm also going to have a closer look at the working Scharfenbergs as supplied via Charlie Petty.

Are they similar to those on here: http://actonwells.wikispaces.com/Desiro ?

They are Hornby International HO scale Scharfenbergs which fit striaight into the NEM pocket. They sit a little low for my liking & each coupling is about 1mm too short. You can couple them together but the gangways touch, so I'll try to engineer a solution to re-position them slightly.

• RMweb Premium

Are they similar to those on here: http://actonwells.wi...aces.com/Desiro ?

They are Hornby International HO scale Scharfenbergs which fit striaight into the NEM pocket. They sit a little low for my liking & each coupling is about 1mm too short. You can couple them together but the gangways touch, so I'll try to engineer a solution to re-position them slightly.

Thanks for the speaker info.

Yes, they are the same coupling - I'm interested if they'll fit to the IFA inner end, but looks like some modification will be needed to height as per this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuarts-phots/6921017813/in/contacts/

Thanks to GloriousNSE for the photo link.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

There is some nice underframe detail - shoebeams and sandpipes

post-408-0-85543400-1330473315_thumb.jpg

I've just had my ears bent - you know who you are - and almost politely informed that they are not shoebeams, but "height limiting bars" - so there!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I've just had my ears bent - you know who you are - and almost politely informed that they are not shoebeams, but "height limiting bars" - so there!

Cheers,

Mick

PAH !! - Ignore them - take it from someone who worked on REAL shoebeams in the 80's - that's like calling Dustmen "Refuse Disposal Operatives" :no:

• Like 1