Bachmann Desiro's

smg201

Awww... the LM liveried versions are now both delayed until March/April. :(

I was told by Bachmann at Warley that the LM liveried models would be out for Christmas, Hattons told me on Mon that their system is saying Dec/Jan but another dealer has told me Mar/Apr! Anyone know? Santa was going to bring them for Crimbo! 😓

:(

I would rather it be delayed for corrections than rushed out with errors. I've been waiting about 20 years for an AC commuter unit too, so 4-5 months is nothing.

Maybe Howes will have a loksound chip ready by the time these get released? :sungum:

Olivia's Trains and DC Kits both have 350 sound available if anyone wants it. DC kits don't have it listed on their website but can do it.

According to the few videos I've watched on YouTube - they appear to sound more or less the same.

Nothing really stood out as being different - I think the 450's have lost the high pitched whine as they pull off (last one I travelled on didn't do it for very long) but this could be more a software difference between the classes due to the different characteristics of operating on DC vs AC. Essentially yes I couldn't tell them apart by sound alone - and none of them sound as good as a proper DC traction motor.

Cheers,

~ Gary

I've always thought the desiros sound a bit like something out of a laser beam out of the 1960s Lost in Space TV series when they move off... a most odd noise really. I prefer the noise of an electrostar out of the two. Pity the government didn't with the Thameslink order!!!

As already stated the 350/1s have shoe beams but the actual shoe gear was removed very early on (it wasnt needed in normal service anyway) and sent down to Northam as spares for the SWT fleet.

The shoe gear then had to be refitted for the units use by Southern and I think it has now been removed again, it isnt really a big job.

I travel to work on the WCML so have been observing this since reading the above post.

Every 350/1 I have seen has the 3rd rail collectors fitted. I have not seen 350101 for a while though.

Every 350/1 I have seen has the 3rd rail collectors fitted. I have not seen 350101 for a while though.

Is that the pick up shoe gear itself or just the shoe beam?

The beams were never removed only the shoe gear itself.

I've always thought the desiros sound a bit like something out of a laser beam out of the 1960s Lost in Space TV series when they move off... a most odd noise really.

I always thought of the whistling as being a stylised electronic version of wind. I have not heard a '450 for ages though, so don't know if it has changed, but I always quite liked the noise.

• RMweb Gold

The tone of the first few seconds of the 'whine' on the 450's (and 444's) changed after a software update a few years ago, it's now a lower tone before changing to the higher pitched 'whine' as heard on the 350's. Originally they sounded the same as the 350's.

The tone of the first few seconds of the 'whine' on the 450's (and 444's) changed after a software update a few years ago, it's now a lower tone before changing to the higher pitched 'whine' as heard on the 350's. Originally they sounded the same as the 350's.

Now the 444s have had a further upgrade and there is now a different sound up to 21mph when the normal sound kicks in.

• 3 weeks later...

They sound like a halloween novelty toy. Not good.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder in the LM versions, whether Bachmann will model 350101 with a slightly darker grey to the main bodyside than that of the 350/2.

This was a throwback to the original primary colour beneath decals and remained following franchise change from Silverlink/Westcoast to LM. Late 350/1's and 350/2's were delivered new in LM colours with a lighter shade..

It is not clear on the pre-production images, but hats off to them if they pick this up!

N

I've been running my 350 now since 25th December. In my opinion it knocks spots off any UK outline EMU so far produced for running qualities... even the 4-CEP! Sadly the Hornby VEP thread has been locked so comparisons can no longer be made on that thread but I have to say If Hornby ever wish to aspire into quality EMU production, they would do well to take a look at what Bachmann have done and learn from it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Showing as due in the next 60 days on the Bachmann website.

Maybe i need to get on with a couple of barrier vehicles........

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

You will need some brake force runners either end aswell as Desiros can only be hauled unbraked, there are no suitable translator vehicles if my memory is correct.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

• RMweb Gold

You will need some brake force runners either end aswell as Desiros can only be hauled unbraked, there are no suitable translator vehicles if my memory is correct.

The last batch of 450's when delivered to Bournemouth depot the formation was:-

66 - 4xVGA/VKA- modified VIA with 20ft Columbus Line container - 450 - modified VIA with 20ft Columbus Line container - 4xVGA/VKA. All except the 450 are available from Bachmann.

There is a video on

of a 350 being delivered in formation 66 - modified VIA with 20ft container - 350 - modified VIA with 20ft containe r- 4xopen wagons (???).

So apart from modifying the inner ends of a Bachmann Intermodal pair to couple to a Desiro it looks doable.

Edited by Red Fox
  • Like 1