Heljan 128

beast66606

Hi All,

I’m on my second unit, as the first one only had one cab light working so it went back. I received my replacement and all was ok when running unit in on DC, but soon as I chipped it (all done very carefully) same problem again only one cab light works.

Am I missing something are the cab lights on different function buttons? (Bachmann 21 chip fitted)

Or have I just been unlucky, as the marker/head lights work ok at both ends I’m probably going to keep it as I don't tend to use the cab lights.

Just a bit confused/disappointed that this should happen on such a good model.

Thanks

Stu

• RMweb Premium

This is one powerful little beastie!

th_DSCN8500_zpsfbef2cea.jpg

I set up a loaded test run and kept adding more and more vehicles as she strolled away with everything I put on the hook.  In this clip the unit pulls smartly away and accelerates load 36 :O  and will clearly manage more.  There are a couple of spots where the train slows down but responds to more power being applied; one is where the 128 has reached the start of a gradient and the other is where it enters the long sweeping curves above the cliffs and beaches.  At the end of the clip the 128 is actually heading back towards my position on the opposite side of the layout but has the entire train moving up hill and around curves without a problem.

That's very impressive, Rick. It certainly has power at least equal to any of the Heljan diesel locomotives!

At the other end of the scale, here's a more typical parcels consist.

GloucesterClass128onShortParcelsTrain1cr

GloucesterClass128onShortParcelsTrain2cr

• RMweb Premium

Those images look a lot more typical of the workaday 128s Jeff.  Mine has found a pair of Hawksworth vans look good in tow among other short formations.

I based mine on a photo I found - needless to say that it doesn't even notice that it has a tail load behind it!! I am sure I have seen pics of Hawksworth, Stanier and Gresley vans behind these, as well as the BR and SR types. The model looks good with any of these, I think.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed Jeff.  Any of the above.  Plus DMU passenger cars as well though Heljan and Hornby don't run at all well together meaning I can't successfully pair the 128 with the bubblecars.  Works a treat with unpowered Lima cars though.  I'm definitely struggling to not buy a blue FYE one.

Hi All,I’m on my second unit, as the first one only had one cab light working so it went back. I received my replacement and all was ok when running unit in on DC, but soon as I chipped it (all done very carefully) same problem again only one cab light works.Am I missing something are the cab lights on different function buttons? (Bachmann 21 chip fitted)Or have I just been unlucky, as the marker/head lights work ok at both ends I’m probably going to keep it as I don't tend to use the cab lights.Just a bit confused/disappointed that this should happen on such a good model.ThanksStu

What decoder are you using? Both cab lights work on different function (F1,F2) so you will need the new Bachmann 21 pin decoder ( which I had other problems with ) or a Hornby Sapphire ( No problems ). As long as the decoder will handle 3 lighting functions you should have no trouble.

What decoder are you using? Both cab lights work on different function (F1,F2) so you will need the new Bachmann 21 pin decoder ( which I had other problems with ) or a Hornby Sapphire ( No problems ). As long as the decoder will handle 3 lighting functions you should have no trouble.

Hi John thanks for your reply,

Iv got the old Bachmann 21 pin chip in it at present but I do have the newer version will swap them around and see what happens, I did read up on the newer Bachmann 21 pin one and its problems, hence why I put the old one in.

But have had another read since and feeling more confident in the speed curve programming now.

Stu

Mine has the newer 36_557 decoder fitted and all seems to be OK. I have not yet experimented with the various speed curves but I have altered the inertia/momentum settings on CVs 3 & 4.

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO just walked into the office and asked "Where did you take that picture?"

This is the image which was on screen and which had her fooled despite knowing the layout very well.  Standing a couple of metres back from the screen she wasn't convinced it was taken here!

DSCN8510_zpsa1f8f40b.jpg

Guest dubdee1000

The weathering just sets it off nicely too.

Agree.   The weathering on this is absolutely stunning.  I love the ever-so-gentle soft sheen on the edge of the roof

Hi John thanks for your reply,

Iv got the old Bachmann 21 pin chip in it at present but I do have the newer version will swap them around and see what happens, I did read up on the newer Bachmann 21 pin one and its problems, hence why I put the old one in.

But have had another read since and feeling more confident in the speed curve programming now.

Stu

Yes fitting the newer chip has sorted the light problems I had.

Does anyone know which way is forward? Exhaust end or the other?

And does anyone know the CV for dimming lights as its not CV63 on the newer chip

Thanks

Stu

• RMweb Gold

And does anyone know the CV for dimming lights as its not CV63 on the newer chip

CVs 49 & 50 seem to be quoted for "Lighting Control" but only have values of 0 & 1. CV59 is said to be "Lighting flash rate" which sounds like beacons. Fiddle around with other CVs in that area to see if any works. If you feel really brave, try to make sense of this, which is all about the zillion combinations of flashing lights US diesels use, but may also apply to the Bachmann decoder, as it is a Soundtraxx product.  http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/mc2usersguide.pdf Good luck!

For anyone operating these units with DCC, you will need a 4 function decoder. Therefore the new Bachmann 36-557 and Hornby Sapphire are suitable. If you fit a 3 function decoder one of the cab lights will not work as there are not enough functions.

Hope that this clarifies some of the queries.

For anyone operating these units with DCC, you will need a 4 function decoder. Therefore the new Bachmann 36-557 and Hornby Sapphire are suitable. If you fit a 3 function decoder one of the cab lights will not work as there are not enough functions.

Hope that this clarifies some of the queries.

See post 333

I

I have just purchased one the early blue DPU and got the shock of my life when I came to fit the DCC decoder.  On the box it says 21 pins, but mine definitely has a  22 pin socket on to which you can't fit a 21 pin chip.    

Now I'm stuck as what to do.  Nipoff the offending pin or return it to the ratiler

post-8268-0-86675400-1364846028.jpg

post-8268-0-30962000-1364846042.jpg

Guest dubdee1000

Maybe pin 22 is not connected on the PCB tracks on the DPU.

I have just purchased one the early blue DPU and got the shock of my life when I came to fit the DCC decoder.  On the box it says 21 pins, but mine definitely has a  22 pin socket on to which you can't fit a 21 pin chip.    

Now I'm stuck as what to do.  Nipoff the offending pin or return it to the retailer

Eek!  I'm not sure thats a gamble i'd like to take!  It would be sods law that i'd snip off pin 1

Does anyone know which way is forward? Exhaust end or the other?

Thanks

Stu

Normally I would have treated the exhaust end as the number 2 end as it is usually the trailing end of most DMU single-ended vehicles in service. However, when I fitted the decoder, the default forward direction has the exhaust end leading, so that is what I have settled on for now.

As for StaffsOatcake's problem, I hope that it was a one-off error from the factory. My own definitely only had 21 pins and caused no problems with decoder fitting. I can only suggest what has already been said: that is, return to the retailer for exchange or snip off the offending extra pin, after very carefully identifying which one it is. Early issues of Dapol's class 22 had this problem and they gave very clear instructions on which pin to snip off.

• RMweb Premium

As per Jeff's comments the 128 should have a 21-pin mounting.  Dapol found to their surprise that the 22s were fitted (wrongly) with 22-pin ones and rather than have them all sent back for rectification and who-knows-how-long to wait for re-delivery they (via Dapol Dave of this parish) provided instructions on which pin to clip off.

Anyone remember where that post went?  Possibly in the class 22 thread?

Archived