Heljan 128

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Heljan may be pretty switched on in some ways but certainly not on their website - have just looked at the list of OO gauge rolling stock on www.Heljan.dk and find that the Cl.128 currently released are not listed.....but look at the "News Section" and you find that the impending release of the Cl. 128s is mentioned. Not very joined up......

Trawling through the Heljan website I can find no mention of any OO gauge models currently under development such as the next versions of the Cl.128s mentioned in this thread. Maybe that information is buried somewhere on the website but it's certainly not easily visible.

Also had a look at the Heljan section of the Howes website (who make it clear that they are only Heljan's service agents in UK) and find that they show the currently released Cl.128s - more than that shown on Heljan's own website.

Keith

As far as I'm aware, the two-character headcode boxes are a separate fitting which just pops out. Put a marker light in the pin hole and you're there. I would think that Heljan has that in mind - they're pretty switched on, when it comes to these things, as each variant that they can do will get a bit more mileage out of the main tools.

CHRIS LEIGH

Quite correct Chris, one of mine was loose when it arrived in Oz, popped back in no probs., likewise the gangway, on/off your choice! Anyone who is impatient, get what is nearest to suit your need and model away!

Cheers,

Peter C.

The latching/non latching feature is built into your DCC command station. On some systems it can be altered, some not. Check on the support pages for your system.

Thank you. I have since found out the following, which works:

For Prodigy Advance:

If F2 is ‘Trigger’, then to make that function ‘Latch’, apply the following:

Make CV 36  = 0  (Disables F2).

Make CV 37 = 4   The function now operates on F3.

ie F1 now works the cab light in one end and F3 now works the cab light in the other end.

David.

Called into Peter's spares on my way home from work and a blue midland region 128 beckoned from the display case. I grew up with these in Manchester on the Buxton and Chester runs so 'resistance was futile'. I am sure it will be at home on my 'Westbury' area layout!

Mike Wiltshire

Does anybody know if the plastic sprues are to be avalible as spares, like they have done with previous models. The underframe and engine compartments look great, and would be useful to anybody making dmu kits.

It appears spares are now available from Howes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I may have got things wrong, but when the Heljan Class 128 was first announced, I was under the impression that the midland units, which I understood to be the ones with 3 windows at the ends and no gangways, were to be modeled. Pictured below.

5190384330_74eda4e50a.jpg

Did I get this wrong, or has this variation of the class been delayed, or cancelled?

Jamie

Thanks Brian.

It was mostly the disappearance of the listing from Hattons pre-orders that prompted my question. Good to hear they are still in the pipeline, and for me anyway, no rush.

There is also the Midland Garrett to look forward to in the meantime too.

Jamie

Hello everyone,

I have the later blue version and I am also very impressed with it. However, when I coupled a Bachmann BG to it, the BG stands 2-3mm higher than the DPU, despite the buffers aligning. Is there a discrepancy with either model here?

Thanks,

Paul.

Hello everyone,

I have the later blue version and I am also very impressed with it. However, when I coupled a Bachmann BG to it, the BG stands 2-3mm higher than the DPU, despite the buffers aligning. Is there a discrepancy with either model here?

Thanks,

Paul.

I agree with you here Paul,I run mine with two dummy Lima 117's and t28 almost looks HO scale.

I agree with you here Paul,I run mine with two dummy Lima 117's and t28 almost looks HO scale.

Its because the Lima 117/121 sit to high on their bogies I've lowered my Lima 121 by removing the small lip on top of the trailing bogie and the same amount off the two vertical load bearers of the motor bogie frame. Apart from improving the looks the roof line looks much better although the bogie frames still look a bit anorexic I haven't tried my Lima  117's  yet as they are in my loft but as its a common chassis with their 121 the mods should be the same . My Lima 101 matches the 128 perfectly I've also ran the 128 with my Bachmann 108 and the 128 seems to sit about 1/2mm higher on the roof line but the buffer centers are about 1mm higher than the 108. The 128 also looks to sit a little high on its bogies but that could be down to them being slightly shallow in depth or just an optical illusion! Either way I think its one of the best models I have purchased so far cheers Heljan       

:drink_mini:

Its because the Lima 117/121 sit to high on their bogies I've lowered my Lima 121 by removing the small lip on top of the trailing bogie and the same amount off the two vertical load bearers of the motor bogie frame. Apart from improving the looks the roof line looks much better although the bogie frames still look a bit anorexic I haven't tried my Lima  117's  yet as they are in my loft but as its a common chassis with their 121 the mods should be the same . My Lima 101 matches the 128 perfectly I've also ran the 128 with my Bachmann 108 and the 128 seems to sit about 1/2mm higher on the roof line but the buffer centers are about 1mm higher than the 108. The 128 also looks to sit a little high on its bogies but that could be down to them being slightly shallow in depth or just an optical illusion! Either way I think its one of the best models I have purchased so far cheers Heljan       

:drink_mini:

Thanks for the above advice ,will do the samet o my 117 dummy cars.

• RMweb Premium

had a quick look at the diagram books on the Barrowmore site and height to top of roof for the 128 and most other BR stock (DMU/EMU/LH) is 12' 41/2" (3772mm)

had a quick look at the diagram books on the Barrowmore site and height to top of roof for the 128 and most other BR stock (DMU/EMU/LH) is 12' 41/2" (3772mm)

Cheers handy bit of info might have to do a bit of measuring on weds

Checked the 128 against my Lima 117 today the non powered DMBS and TCL both sit to high due to the bogie mounts and can only be corrected by making new ones or replacing the bogies. The powered DMBS actually sits lower than the other 2 coaches so the mods as per the 121 would work. I've also sat it with my Hornby 110 and the buffer heights and roof line match  even after fitting the DMS and TS with Hornby's 12.5mm 3 hole wheels. The Ringfield powered DMBS sits at the same height with its original wheelsets. I haven't done any bodyside measurements yet but as the 101,108,110, 117/121 and 128 all have differing depth bodysides I'm not sure which is correct. Unfortunately I don't have any diagrams for measurements  to go by so over to you experts for the correct info please

Just opened mine up to fit a 21 pin sound decoder only to find there are no solder pads to connect the speaker to on the PCB.

Grrrrrrrr......

It appears that the empty socket (CN6) on the PCB is the speaker connection, anybody know where you can get a mating plug from?

post-11105-0-53030700-1369337720_thumb.jpg

Failing obtaining the correct plug, you may be able to solder the wires to the wires coming out of the back of that socket.

You must have been reading my mind, well almost, I removed the socket and soldered the wires directly to the solder pads on the PCB.

Just have to mill out some of the chassis now to get a decent sized speaker in. Not exactly DCC sound friendly unlike Dapols Class 22 which is a doodle and takes a big bass reflex speaker, not bad for a loco half the size.

I bottled out of carving up the chassis to fit a Base reflex speaker, so instead I fitted two QSI 7/8" Hi Base speakers.

Just required slicing off the top of the plastic cab mouldings above the gearbox tower leaving a small ledge (1mm) for the speaker to sit on. Two strip of plasticard were glued down the sides to seal the speaker with some blue tack.

These pictures are fairly self explanatory.

post-11105-0-46531400-1369916100_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-22262400-1369916121_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-30756900-1369916143_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-99644800-1369916160_thumb.jpg

As these speakers are 8ohm I wired them in parallel, sound project is a 1st gen DMU from Digitrains in a Zimo mx244d sound decoder. There's a lot of button pushing as you have to 'drive ' the train using the function buttons to change gear, but it sounds pretty impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived