Dapol DP2

DapolDave

Hi everyone,

just starting a new thread for this model.:D

As you know we announced it at Warley this last weekend but basic work has been going on for about 2 months now.

We have made a basic bodyshape in the cad/cam, and are now taking great pains to get the detail right.

for instance, the buffer beam compound curve or slight flair outwards that is missing on models of the production deltics has been incorporated, and we have spoken at length with Brian at Shawplan and gotten the window frames correct along with other features he currently seems to offer for the production models as corrective / detail parts.

Main bodyside grill and roof detail next, and i'll update as we go along on this.

The specification is as per our 22 really........new 5 pole can motor with heavy large brass flywheels, darkened RP25.110 wheel sets with 14.4mm back to backs and 2mm axles and 26mm over pin points, directional lighting, cab lighting, DCC 21 pin decoder socket, large space for sealed speaker under etched roof fan grilles and possible fuel tank, separate cab steps etc etc.

liveries to be BR Green, BR Blue, and BR Blue with wrap round yellow ends. (ok i lied about the last 2);)

anyway, more when we have it.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Hi Dapol Dave,

I guess that means 'not for Christmas' but thanks for the posting. Plenty of interst for many, I am sure - me included!

I'll keep my eyes eagerly open for schedules in due course.

Great news all round and I wish you large success with the project(s).

Cheers,

Ixion.

Excellent news to hear DP2 is being produced ready to run - I hope you don't mind Dave, a little surprised it was Dapol and not Bachmann. I think Bachmann have dropped the ball on this one, given the success with the prototype Deltic.

All the best for this one Dave - I'll certainly be dipping into my groaning wallet for a DP2, if the detail and price is right. :)

• RMweb Premium

I will have to get one of these (wouldget more if the 2 other liveries were done ;))

If I recall correctly, DP2 carried two liveries. One in all over green and the latter in two tone green as per the deltics.

• RMweb Premium

If I get one it will probably end up being re-sprayed in a fictional application of BR Blue :) (Unless of course Dapol decide to allow a limited number to be made in such a fictional livery ;) )

Must be scope for a loadhaul commission from Hattons ;)

Not a loco I had considered but have a fondness for both Deltics and 50's so current thoughts are DP2 will be joining my collection.

Out of interest, as Dapol are going the extra mile in providing speaker areas, what sound would we install - is it simply a class 50 in a different body?

• RMweb Gold

If I recall correctly, DP2 carried two liveries. One in all over green and the latter in two tone green as per the deltics.

yep, see this photo

clearly TTG, with SYWP

Think I'd go for as delivered though, much as I like TTG :lol:

Out of interest, as Dapol are going the extra mile in providing speaker areas, what sound would we install - is it simply a class 50 in a different body?

I think a '50 chip is going to be as near to the real thing as we are going to get unless someone at the DPS lobs a '50 engine in a spare Deltic :blink:

If I recall the engine out of DP2 ended up in the production fleet of 50's after her unfortunate demise. In the late 80's this engine was in 50037 Illustrious - my first 50 to be pulled by) so technically a 50 sound chip will be the best thing this is what I will be fitting anyway.

• RMweb Gold

This is really good news however (hypethically) if there was another manufacturer with a model of a Deltic would it not be possible for them to steal your thunder by modifying their existing mould to produce a DP2?

Xerces Fobe

My guess is that Dapol think they are far enough down the line now to be to the market first even if another manufacturer were to tool up a new bodyshell for their existing chassis. Probably at the point of no return where they had to announce to protect their investment against said manufacturer reacting to recent posting on here stating that DP2 is the only one now missing from the line-up ;)

Oh dear... I've been working on my Bachmann/Craftsman based DP2 for about a year (not that a year of work has really gone into it; I'm just perhaps the world's slowest modeller), and at this rate the Dapol one will be released before I finish... :rolleyes:

Is it terribly uncharitable if I kinda hope the Dapol one ends up being a dog? :D

Oh well, maybe it'll spur me on to complete sooner rather than later.

I'll be interested to see what they do with the boiler outlet on the roof that people seem to have gone to lengths to never photograph very clearly (Silver Fox just chose to forget about it).

Okay, I'd better dash now as I have a lot of sulking to cram into the remainder of the day. :lol:

IIRC the two-tone green applied to DP2 differed from the 'Deltics' in that the lower green band was nearer in shade to the lighter green band on a class 47 than the 'lime green of a Deltic. I will try to find some evidence but that is my understanding.

Roy P

IIRC the two-tone green applied to DP2 differed from the 'Deltics' in that the lower green band was nearer in shade to the lighter green band on a class 47 than the 'lime green of a Deltic. I will try to find some evidence but that is my understanding.

Roy P

I've just had a look at a colour shot of DP2 in Modern Locomotives Illustrated #174 (Main Line Prototypes / The Private Builders), and even allowing for rthe eproduction of an old image the lower band of light green looks much closer to the 'Sherwood Green' used on the Brush Type 4 than than it does to that used on the Deltics.

I'm sure there are other colour images somewhere though.

HTH

Nidge ;)

DP2 was painted in the same livery as the Deltics when it ran on the ECML. When I saw it on the WCML it was all over dark green. Colours in old photographs do not always show the correct colours.

I'm with the 'sherwood green' faction on this one. Pictures of DP2 at the 1965 Marylebone exhibition show the lighter green skirt matches the sherwood green on two adjacent Brush 4s and is quite different to the 'yellow green' found on Hymeks and Deltics.

Sherwood green was also used on the Baby Deltics after refurbishment.

IIRC there is a Brian Haresnape article in Trains Illustrated/Modern Railways from around 1962/3 which suggests there was a last minute change of heart about the lighter green used on the Deltics but it was too late to change. DP2 (later) and the refurb Baby Deltics carried the version that was almost used on the Deltics.

Regarding the two tone livery of DP2, this link http://www.napier-ch....co.uk/0126.htm points to nice colour shot though if it's good enough to settle a debate remains to be seen. In the meantime I'll look out for more images. Anyway, so long as we are all in agreement by the time the model arrives.

Roy P

IIRC there is a Brian Haresnape article in Trains Illustrated/Modern Railways from around 1962/3 which suggests there was a last minute change of heart about the lighter green used on the Deltics but it was too late to change.

Quite correct - that's in the March 1962 issue, page 192 with reference to the Hymek "the light green band is incorrect in colour and tends to look yellow in strong light. This will be a grey-green shade in future - on other classes as well." It goes on to say the same for the Deltic on page 195 and then, interestingly on page 196 of 'Falcon' says "It was decided to try out a different green on this locomotive and a lime green, of the shade used on the skirt of the 'Deltics' and with a similar tendency to look yellow in bright sunlight, was adopted, offset by a russet brown band for the lower edge of the body and other areas."

From this there is the possibility that if any Deltics or Hymeks were repainted green between 1962 and 1965, they might have Sherwood green skirts like DP2. Of course, as they were only a few years old it is more likely they were never 'corrected'. Personally I like the brighter yellow on the skirts anyway!

My previous post regarding the Cemflo seems to have disappeared but judging by the number of hits on the wagon picture in PB's website, this item would create a lot of potential interest ??

Not sure how this pops into this subject, but yes CEMFLO had 172 downloads last week from my site. I suppose it does go well with DP2 as they wrote it off!

Paul Bartlett

Probably at the point of no return where they had to announce to protect their investment against said manufacturer reacting to recent posting on here stating that DP2 is the only one now missing from the line-up ;)

Ah but it is not the only one missing. How about the 3 gas turbines? GT1 and GT2 in N gauge would certainly get my vote. :)

Archived