The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

Mmmmm, where to start.

I think, given that David Miliband is an Arsenal supporter without any real connection to the N.E. other than his constuency just happens to be here, his acceptance of a non-executive role at SAFC was probably as politically motivated as his reasons for leaving. He probably only took the role at Sunderand because Newcastle didn't offer him a position. Anyway best be careful as the line between football and politics here is a fine one.

Di Canio? It's probably too late but the team needs motivating and he seems to be able to get people's bums* into gear. It may be that his experience getting a team promoted will come in useful next season. :(

Martin O'Neil? Everyone had high hopes but sadly his tactics and motivation have left an awful lot to be desired. The stats don't lie. It's a pity, but defending with eleven players all of the time lost the supporters (and games) very quickly.

*other expressions are available.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Its a shame that 'the two sons of God', Roy Keane and Martin O'Neill haven't really come on as much as we thought after being taught by the great one [Clough].

It seems a strange time in the season to make a change, but who knows it may work. Personally I doubt it and in my opinion for what its worth Reading, Q.P.R. and Sunderland will be relegated and before anybody thinks I am just Kicking Sunderland whilst their down I have supported Q.P.R. through thick and thin since 1956.

Its a shame that 'the two sons of God' - Martin O'Neill haven't really come on as much as we thought after being taught by the great one [Clough].

Martin O'Neill's best spell as manager was clearly when he was at Leicester City - in 4 and a bit years -  Promotion to the Premier League followed by four Top Ten Premiership finishes and Three League Cup Finals ,including two wins and a couple of appearances in Europe.

All achieved with next to no money and with what appeared to "outsiders" to be journeyman players and some "has-beens", although players like Neil Lennon, Robbie Savage, Muzzy Izzet and Matt Elliot all received International recognition and Claridge and Cottee weren't bad.

I think getting Liverpool to pay £11 million for Heskey may be his greatest achievement.

Going to Celtic next was his first mistake -  far too easy to be "successful" in a two team league.

• Like 1

Bye, bye to Neil Warnock following defeat to Derby County.

Okay I didn't particularly like him but the odds were stacked against him when the new 'owners' arrived.    They want an investment they can sell on when/if  Premiership status returns.   Obviously they forgot to review the last twelve years before buying us. :sarcastichand:   Lovely stand though and no doubt the executive boxes are very plush.

Forty-four years on and I've seen it all before.

Not bothered in the least, only one thing I wanted this year.

I'm kinda the opposite, I guess - simply beating my club's main rival in the league wouldn't satisfy me when there's so much more on offer. I want my team to do well in everything they enter, which has been a bit frustrating for me this year. As a Chelsea fan, I've seen my team enter (and fail to win!) the Community Shield, the Premier League, the UEFA Super Cup, the Champions League, the Club World Cup and the League Cup. That's 6 down, and only 2 left...

Thinking about it, has a club ever been in so many competitions? 8 in 1 season seems crazy! The 2 remaining ones are actually interesting, inasmuch as Chelsea must be among the favourites for the Europa League (which, by rights, they shouldn't even be in, IMHO, but still...) and the FA Cup, too, so it may not be an entirely trophy-less season. Even if the Blues win nothing this year, it won't completely eradicate the residual warm glow from last year's Champions League!

Wahey good news at last from boundarypark local council rubber stamps the planning aplication for the new Broadway stand so at last we get back to a four sided stadium and new non football revenue streams from the attached retail/liesure units things finally begin to look up .on the field however its squeeky bum time

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Light at the end of the tunnel!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22098749

As I have mentioned before, the name of the game is to be within a realistic chance of survival before we come out of adminstration. Then next season we will have a chance to finally stablise in League 2 and start building a firm foundation for the future. Too many people have made far too much money from the club...in many cases money they were not entitled to, whilst others (particularly the smaller creditors) have been left with nothing.

It is a sorry, sorry tale of how a club can be so completely mismanaged, but perhaps the most disappointing aspect of this is that it is still happening - QPR for example, run a serious risk of being the 'next Portsmouth'.

Good luck to Pompey and their supporters. I think you're getting a taste of what it's been like to be a Charlton fan, or some of the clubs which have been near the end of the road. It's not a pleasant one and it's one I know well from my youngest days. We came back out of it and so can you. Hang in there and hope to see you fellas back in the championship sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Think it's been said before, but it's a strange time to sack a manager.

Yes, it may seem strange, but we really were going nowhere fast, at least we can have a mini season with the last 5 games with a bit of fresh impetus. Our noisy neighbours did a similar thing last season and got promoted over us, so maybe it's a Sheffield thing.

If we win our 2 games in hand we'll be in 2nd place, so all is not lost.

Optimistically.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Gillingham - promoted to League 1 on Saturday - after leading the division for almost the whole season

Big Quiet Smug (unfashionable team supporter) grin here.................... :sungum:

Any chance of a decent away end with a bit of cover this coming season? (asuming we're still in this crappy league next season)

Mike.

• Like 1

Any chance of a decent away end with a bit of cover this coming season? (asuming we're still in this crappy league next season)

Mike.

Not at all - the Town end will remain an uncovered windswept paradise for all those hardy away fans - at least it's 100yds closer to the station :sarcastichand:

• Like 1