The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

But what is sporting? Was a Birmingham player going down with 30 seconds to go and their goalie kicking it out sporting? They knew that that wasted some time and by the time Yeovil would 'automatically' give the ball back time would be up therefore denying Yeovil any chance of equalising. The trainer didn't even come on. The ball was kicked out and he got straight up. I thought the rules now were you played to the refs whistle and he decides if the injury warrants stopping the game.

Yeovil could just as easily cry foul.

I thought it was a good opportunity to let the Birmingham goalie score though!

Gareth

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Much is made of the sportingness (is that a word - it is now!) of the situation where one team kicks the ball out for an injury, and then the other team gives it back to them, but most of the time, it's nonsense, as you say. The player in question is rarely, if ever, seriously injured, and the lack of sportsmanship in the rest of the game makes a mockery of the concept, in any case.

Teams should go back to playing to the whistle, unless it's clearly a very serious injury which the referee has somehow failed to spot. Further to that, the players who roll and writhe to bring about such situations should be booked for simulation, as in the case of Birmingham, above.

Anyway, as to this weekend's Premier League, wasn't it rubbish? Where are all the goals?

• RMweb Premium

I didn't think it was that bad...

This will be a big season of change for Man Utd, and I know it is a cliche, but Moyes really does have one of the hardest jobs in football. I have argued over the last few seasons that as a team they are much greater than the sum of their parts; certainly they do not have the best collection of individuals in the league. Ferguson's trick was to make then function exceptionally as a unit, and that will take Moyes some time to emulate.

I foresee pretty much a repeat of the 2011/12 season, where they 'only' won the Community Shield. But I will be surpised if they were not there or thereabouts at the business-end of the season.

• RMweb Gold

Just watched the England game. Interesting that Lampard and Gerrard are playing very well together in the same team lately. Wonder whether it's the changing roles they are playing these days, for club and country or that Woy is a highly skilled technical coach. Or perhaps the whole "you cant play Lampard and Gerrard in the same team" thing was bollards all along??????

• RMweb Gold

I can think of a few championship teams who would beat England.Control was poor all over the pitch.Sloppy but got the point they went for.Roy's a bit negative me thinks.I hate the phrase doing a job .

I can think of a few championship teams who would beat England.

Well, I think it's a given that top-flight club football is almost always of a higher standard than internationals, since the players don't play together enough. If England actually played in the Championship (or even the Prem)for a season, you'd expect them to do very well... eventually!

I agree with Colin that Cahill was the only one who came away with much credit, and even that was mainly because of the last-ditch clearances he was so often forced to make.

Just watching the start of the Seattle-Salt Lake MLS game, currently first and second in the league. A crowd of 55,000 at Seattle. Maybe the game does have a future in North America!

• RMweb Gold

Well Rob, far be it from me to defend shrek, but injuries do get better. On this occasion I don't detect the fergie factor being maintained by mr moyes. Of course you might think I'm going easy on Roo out of relief that Chelsea didn't buy him. I couldn't possibly comment!

• RMweb Gold

How could you think that? You know theres you, daniel levy and glenn hoddle. That's everybody accounted for!!!!

Spurs gave me the greatest day out in London I've ever had in football.Wembley 87. :jester: As for Chelsea I remember them in the old second division when THEY had no money like us.