The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I'd get that word copyrighted, if I were you, before everyone starts saying "Rafalution"!

If only......Kelly Cates of BBC 5 Live beat me to it, as I heard her say it on the way to the match, and I thought that's rather clever

post-9751-0-61653600-1458328188.jpg

As seen on a HYS thread.

I think the guy will be apoplectic by now, as there is apparently a demand for jetsam and flotsam players at International level with both of Leicester's central midfielders being selected for their respective countries for the first time.

That quoted comment is mostly bitterness, of course, but I'd still like to take issue. I'm a Chelsea fan, but Leicester would be just as capable of getting knocked out by PSG or Barcelona in the last 16 as Arsenal or Chelsea! Seriously, who, after this season, would begrudge Leicester the chance to mix it with the big boys of Europe, even if it's just the once?

As for "showing how pathetic the PL has become", I'd far rather have a league where any one of 6 or 7 teams might win the league, than the supposed pinnacle of world football, where Barcelona and Real Madrid (both fantastic sides, of course) have a near-monopoly on every title going, and regularly win league games by 6 or 7 goals.

It's not the quality of the top teams that sets the PL apart, in my view, it's the quality of those near the bottom. Week in, week out, we don't know for certain who's going to win any given game. Sunderland or Swansea, to name but two, will pull off one or two giant-killings in the season, and may still have some surprises in store in the last 8 games. Struggling teams can have an effect on the title chase in a way that just doesn't happen in Spain or France.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifLCFC.jpg

As seen on a HYS thread.

I think the guy will be apoplectic by now, as there is apparently a demand for jetsam and flotsam players at International level with both of Leicester's central midfielders being selected for their respective countries for the first time.

They probably will struggle in C1. So what? Most teams do in their first years of European competition. Fact remains that they will have earned the right to it.

How can Roy Hodgson argue that he selects players that are in form, when there is a midfielder who so far this year has made more tackles, made more successful passes, has a higher pass completion percentage and created more chances than each of Milner, Henderson, Delph, Carrick and Dier, playing for the team currently fifth in the League, that has beaten Liverpool (three times), Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester City?

How can Mark Noble not even get into a squad for friendlies? What will Hodgson learn about Henderson or Milner that he doesn't already know?

And now I read that he's considering playing John Stones in midfield! A young defender with less than 100 games under his belt, ahead of a mature midfielder with over 300 games to his credit!

Oh, and he will pick Jack Wilshere 'if he's fit' for the Euro squad, even though he hasn't kicked a ball in competitive football this season.

Utter madness.

• RMweb Gold

How can Roy Hodgson argue that he selects players that are in form, when there is a midfielder who so far this year has made more tackles, made more successful passes, has a higher pass completion percentage and created more chances than each of Milner, Henderson, Delph, Carrick and Dier, playing for the team currently fifth in the League, that has beaten Liverpool (three times), Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester City?

How can Mark Noble not even get into a squad for friendlies? What will Hodgson learn about Henderson or Milner that he doesn't already know?

And now I read that he's considering playing John Stones in midfield! A young defender with less than 100 games under his belt, ahead of a mature midfielder with over 300 games to his credit!

Oh, and he will pick Jack Wilshere 'if he's fit' for the Euro squad, even though he hasn't kicked a ball in competitive football this season.

Utter madness.

If Wilshere were fit now and gets to play eight games before the Euro, it would make sense. Indeed, it would be great as not tired by a whole season. But if he has not played a full 90 minutes at least five times before the end of the season, I agree that it would be daft to take him.

There is a link between Leicester City and my local club Lancaster City that you may not know about. Some years ago when Lancaster needed a new carpet in their clubhouse they somehow found out that Leicester were renewing their own carpets, complete with LCFC branding. Happily, both teams play in blue shirts with white shorts, and the blue carpet with white LCFC pattern looked really impressive. The only odd thing from a Lancaster point of view is that the pattern includes fox heads! No chance whatsoever that the Dolly Blues will become the Foxes though. In a similar vein the seats in the refurbished stand were also cast offs from Leicester and among the blue seats is LCFC in white. It would complete the story if I could say it was free gifts from Leicester to a smaller struggling club; sadly I don't know if money changed hands. 

I am not a City fan, my team, Blackpool, are on course for their Project Conference though as I write this they are having a blip by winning at Crewe. 

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 2

Another three points burgled from South London, but Lady Luck must still be shining on Leicester City, as Palace hit the crossbar in the 92nd minute.

These 1-0 wins are getting a bit stressful.

Just have to hope that all the players away on International Duty return uninjured then maybe ....just maybe.......

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

Mathmatically Aston Villa can still stay up. They need at least 12 points from their remaining 7 games, but with such a bad goal difference that will probably be 13 points.

However from 31 games they have collected 16 points. Almost 1 point every two games so if they had another 26 games to go I might have a bet on them staying up. :jester:

Although I doubt it  . :no:  :no:

Regards,Del.

More penalty nonsense today . The video of todays Chelsea one is beyond belief, he tripped over his own feet.

When is football going to arrive in the 21st Century and have a 2nd referee on a TV monitor to have the last say on such important decisions.

Do Premier League Refs ever have eye tests ? ,if not they need them done urgently now !!!!

Do Premier League Refs ever have eye tests ? 

Well I've just watched a Crystal Palace player pull Robert Huth's shirt over his head and completely off his body whilst "defending" a corner in the Crystal Palace penalty area.

How is that not a penalty?

Quite surprised that Huth wasn't booked by the ref for removing his shirt :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Well I've just watched a Crystal Palace player pull Robert Huth's shirt over his head and completely off his body whilst "defending" a corner in the Crystal Palace penalty area.

How is that not a penalty?

Quite surprised that Huth wasn't booked by the ref for removing his shirt :jester:

It the Italian Serie A that would be considered great defending.

can tell manure have won as all the reds on my facebook have suddenly come to life after a week of silence was begging to think the internet was broken or something 

Who? 

Then again they did manage a win rather than getting beaten 3-2 at home to their local rivals......

Good to see the new Chief Executive at Aston Villa is reported to be ready to sack Remi Garde this week and replace him with Nigel Pearson.

Do better sacking the entire playing staff and buying a Non League clubs playing staff who would at least show some spirit.

Really feel for the genuine AVFC Supporters in the Holt End and the rest of the ground.