The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Don't forget Jon Sammels!

Good call ...signed from Arsenal in 1971...

and useless info of the day....

I used to see his Driving Instructor car quite regularly on the local roads but I hope he has managed to retire as he's 72 years old now.

None of your £100,000 per week when he played more like £100......

• RMweb Gold

Good call ...signed from Arsenal in 1971...

and useless info of the day....

I used to see his Driving Instructor car quite regularly on the local roads but I hope he has managed to retire as he's 72 years old now.

None of your £100,000 per week when he played more like £100......

And no fans replica shirts in the size 6XL either. :O 

• Like 1

Well that was a spectacular opening game of the season in the Premier League tonight for the neutral - Arsenal 4 Leicester 3.

Completely useless result for me as a Leicester City fan....

That was a bit of a topsy-turvy game - I saw the highlights and was convinced that Leicester were going to walk away with a win.

Mind you, I was also convinced that Liverpool would win their match against Watford, but clearly that wasn't happening. Also, doesn't Simon Mignolet look a bit like James Corden?

New season - same old Derby. A team full of supposed stars failing to live up to expectations. Actually this seemed worse! No pace, no movement, Martin left isolated upfront with the midfield lacking the runners to support. The back four seemed all at sea, with new signing Andre Wisdom not seeming to know where he was supposed to be half the time. Three times Wolves threatened to score from one of our corners such was the poor nature of our set up. Worryingly all three of the new signings failed to shine, with Huddlestone looking more static than a tailor's dummy in central midfield. 

I am not pushing the panic button just yet though. The Rams are notoriously slow starters, and often do not find their rhythm until after the first international break. I am hoping that a few changes tomorrow night against Preston may freshen things up. Surely Rowett will realise that the 4-3-3 system has long since had its day and the 4-2-3-1 formation, used at the start of pre-season may suit the current squad better.  A long way to go though.

• RMweb Gold

Gives me no pleasure at all to say this...but Man U looked awesome yesterday.

I think Shearer is right that Lukaku will score a lot of goals there - probably more than Shearer reckoned indeed. Rashford showed that he has a lot more in his locker than just being a good striker.

• RMweb Premium

Can someone tell Chelsea the Premier League has actually started....

OK, so you have all been given a one match start! It's the end of 38 games that count.

Edit to add

Bournemouth

Stoke

Brighton

Newcastle

Palace

West Ham

Have already failed to take advantage of this kind offer.

Edited by kevinlms

OK, so you have all been given a one match start! It's the end of 38 games that count.

Edit to add

Bournemouth

Stoke

Brighton

Newcastle

Palace

West Ham

Have already failed to take advantage of this kind offer.

Hey, I was impressed that the mighty Albion kept City at bay for 70 minutes, never in my wildest dreams......

I fully expect a season long relegation battle and 17th is but a pipe dream. Even though we have splashed the cash we haven't bankrupted ourselves. I hope Huddersfield manage to stay up as, with the amount they've spent, they could be in serious trouble if relegated.

When you see the amounts the top clubs have spent so far I'd rather an equalish fight in the Championship than the farce that is the divide in the Premiership.

Hey, I was impressed that the mighty Albion kept City at bay for 70 minutes, never in my wildest dreams......

I fully expect a season long relegation battle and 17th is but a pipe dream. Even though we have splashed the cash we haven't bankrupted ourselves. I hope Huddersfield manage to stay up as, with the amount they've spent, they could be in serious trouble if relegated.

When you see the amounts the top clubs have spent so far I'd rather an equalish fight in the Championship than the farce that is the divide in the Premiership.

At least you'll get a few more kicks of the ball and more possession when you play Leicester on Saturday as we don't "do" passing possession football as we are no good at it.

I've no idea what the result will be as it depends on which Leicester City turns up on the day as they could play like Champs or Chumps.

I'm looking forward to seeing Anthony Knockaert again as he seems to have come on in leaps and bounds from the occasionally brilliant but often erratic young player that he was at Leicester a few years ago.

I'm looking forward to seeing Anthony Knockaert again as he seems to have come on in leaps and bounds from the occasionally brilliant but often erratic young player that he was at Leicester a few years ago.

Oh no, he's still that. A couple of great passes and goals a game soon gloss's over the other 80 or so minutes.

• RMweb Gold

Oh no, he's still that. A couple of great passes and goals a game soon gloss's over the other 80 or so minutes.

Too many 90 minute "triers" these days. Few managers willing to take the risk on the ten-minutes-a-game wunderkids. But the fans love them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So England qualify for another major championship having only just managed to see off the might of some incredibly mediocre opposition. First game in the World Cup will be against a team infinitely better than anyone met in qualifying and all our shortcomings will be revealed. Not entirely England's fault, more the ridiculous qualifying groups that have to include all the no hopers. Time perhaps for pre qualifying to eradicate the farce of the current qualifying.

So England qualify for another major championship having only just managed to see off the might of some incredibly mediocre opposition. First game in the World Cup will be against a team infinitely better than anyone met in qualifying and all our shortcomings will be revealed. Not entirely England's fault, more the ridiculous qualifying groups that have to include all the no hopers. Time perhaps for pre qualifying to eradicate the farce of the current qualifying.

Probably because England are also Incredibly Mediocre, (but think they are good).

Scotland at least know they are mediocre (and that is on a good day), looking forward to a heroic collapse in the last game, or failing that in the playoffs

• Like 1

Another uninspiring England performance continued a gradual decline against Lithuania. In four games against this particular opposition, England's wins have followed the sequence of 4-0, 3-0, 2-0, 1-0. not a scientific piece of evidence that the team is going backwards, but you get the idea! Feel sorry for the Scots after their 2-2 draw today put them out. 

The England memorabilia makers will be dusting the old tat again, to sell to gullible supporters who think England will win the Cup.

I hope Gareth Southgate has another job lined up before the actual knockout stage.

I'm not convinced a change of manager (after our certain exit in the last 16 after we scrape through the group stage in 2nd place) would make any difference. Managers come and go but the bottom line is that we don't have enough players that are good enough. I do watch a lot of football and am sorry to single players out but upon seeing yesterdays team I had to check who Maguire and Cresswell played for!

......the bottom line is that we don't have enough players that are good enough....

....or possibly motivated / hungry enough? I do wonder whether an England team might do better if it was drawn from Championship teams rather than the Premier League, on the basis that the former are less likely to already be overpaid.

• Like 1

....or possibly motivated / hungry enough? I do wonder whether an England team might do better if it was drawn from Championship teams rather than the Premier League, on the basis that the former are less likely to already be overpaid.

Or are the players being influenced by their club management, and being told not to take any unnecessary risks that could result in injury.  I can see the point of a Premier League club owner being reluctant to see an expensive player catching an injury while on international duty that could rule him out for several club matches.  Used to be quite common in Scotland for Rangers or Celtic to withdraw players from he squad due to an injury that miraculously was cured in time for the crunch club match the following weekend.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

But the 'overpaid' description also applies to players from some other nations, yet they manage to win the world cup on a recurring basis.