The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Thank goodness the re-election system was abandoned in favour of promotion and relegation, although it might be even better if the top two in the National League got automatically promoted, rather than just the winner as now ? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 62613 said:

Looking at that lot, South Shields will be cursing!

They will, although if they had been in there too I don't know whether I could have taken the excitement and drama!! In this North East-fest, there are three quality high-profile managers who played at the highest level in Steve Watson, Alun Armstrong and Lee Clark, not forgetting the miracle worker Jason Ainsley at Spenny who has done an incredible job. We just need someone now.... 

19 hours ago, 62613 said:

Southport/Wigan Athletic, in about 1978? I believe Wigan still hold the crowd record in the Northern Premier League (when that league was immediately below Football League level) - 11,000 plus, at the old Springfield Park ground.

I've heard another where the rep. for a FL club voted for the wrong club at the AGM, and a league club was relegated.

Could very well have been. I'll dig out the book and check tonight. 

4 hours ago, caradoc said:

Thank goodness the re-election system was abandoned in favour of promotion and relegation, although it might be even better if the top two in the National League got automatically promoted, rather than just the winner as now ? 

You're right, it was a complete 'old boys' network for the football administrators in blazers. Thank goodness times have changed. 

The play-offs so keep the interest going for a lot of clubs. Mind I actually think the National League deserves three promotion places to the Football League. It is now an established 5th division, the majority of clubs are full-time and the standard of football, certainly at the top of the NL, is much the same as League 2 and probably the lower reaches of League 1. Sadly I can't see it happening mind because clubs in L2 supporting that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas....... 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2019 at 09:30, south_tyne said:

A major positive is that we will have local derbies against Darlington, Spennymoor and Blyth, as well as getting to play York again. Lots of North East football legends, lots of players and staff with Gateshead links to face too!

This one again! It almost reminds of around 2004 or 2005, when Stalybridge Celtic, Hyde United, Ashton United and Droylsden were all in the same division (NPL or Conference North, I can't remember). Now that's local derbies! Next season in the NPL Premier we have three of those (not Droylsden) and F.C. United.

Edited by 62613
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2019 at 18:36, 62613 said:

Southport/Wigan Athletic, in about 1978?

Still haven't got over that and forty one years later the Port still haven't made it back into the EFL.  :sad_mini:

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

This one again! It almost reminds of around 2004 or 2005, when Stalybridge Celtic, Hyde United, Ashton United and Droylsden were all in the same division (NPL or Conference North, I can't remember). Now that's local derbies! Next season in the NPL Premier we have three of those (not Droylsden) and F.C. United.

OK I think you win.... this is a local league for local people! :laugh_mini: It could have been even 'worse' for us next season of South Shields had won their play-off too! 

At least we have a manager now, Having appointed Mike Williamson yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

Still haven't got over that and forty one years later the Port still haven't made it back into the EFL.  :sad_mini:

David

I feel your pain :sorry: it's 59 years and counting for us. It was the traditional northern clubs clubs who really lost out with that system - post-war think Gateshead, Bradford PA, Barrow, Workington, Southport etc. Further back in time there were the likes of New Brighton, Durham City, Ashington who all dropped out the football league and the emphasis gradually swung southwards. 

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

OK I think you win.... this is a local league for local people! :laugh_mini: It could have been even 'worse' for us next season of South Shields had won their play-off too! 

At least we have a manager now, Having appointed Mike Williamson yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

David

I feel your pain :sorry: it's 59 years and counting for us. It was the traditional northern clubs clubs who really lost out with that system - post-war think Gateshead, Bradford PA, Barrow, Workington, Southport etc. Further back in time there were the likes of New Brighton, Durham City, Ashington who all dropped out the football league and the emphasis gradually swung southwards. 

I know Barrow often blame Newcastle for their demise...... if Ronnie Radford et al hadn't achieved their giant killing and all the subsequent publicity it generated then Hereford may never have been voted in at their expense.

• Like 1

Great news for Blackpool this week; the new owner, Simon Sadler, has bought all the Oyston shares and The future is looking bright at last. We will see how things turn out. Progress. Just need Bolton, Bury, and all the other clubs with struggling owners to get sorted asap.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, lightengine said:

Given a choice of red hot needles in both eyes or watching womens football, I would choose to sit in a room with Nigel Farage and drive the needles in my own eyes!

I would not agree with your assessment of women's football. It is different from men's football, but I think they should be regarded as being related in the same kind of way as women's and men's tennis - same rules, but played in somewhat different ways due to the different people playing it.

While they are both contact sports, deliberate physical contact is not such a large part of the women's game. But I think the individual skills, and the footballing intelligence are virtually equivalent. And I don't see the same (shall we say) deliberate 'stretching' of rules. 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
On 15/06/2019 at 21:30, Ohmisterporter said:

Great news for Blackpool this week; the new owner, Simon Sadler, has bought all the Oyston shares and The future is looking bright at last. We will see how things turn out. Progress. Just need Bolton, Bury, and all the other clubs with struggling owners to get sorted asap.

Given the team's strip, I can only say:
The future is bright, the future is orange (collects hat, coat and leaves quietly, stage left).

1 hour ago, lightengine said:

Given a choice of red hot needles in both eyes or watching womens football, I would choose to sit in a room with Nigel Farage and drive the needles in my own eyes!

Never mind.

Proper football starts again next week....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/champions-league/scores-fixtures

Jason

• Agree 1

I fully appreciate that after growing up on a full fat diet of mens football, women's football will not be the same. It's like women throwing balls its just awful to watch at times, similar to watching Spurs and England at times. 

1 hour ago, lightengine said:

I fully appreciate that after growing up on a full fat diet of mens football, women's football will not be the same. It's like women throwing balls its just awful to watch at times, similar to watching Spurs and England at times. 

As pH says, I don't think it is fair to compare men's and women's football. Same sport, different game as I have heard a few people comment. However I fully respect your right to hold such an opinion. 

As someone who watches almost exclusively non-league football live, the pinnacle of my viewing being the National League(!!), maybe I view the women's game differently, not having that benchmark of Premier League and Champions League may give me a different perspective! :jester:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peanuts said:

oh dear oh dear 

Screenshot_20190619-201954_Facebook.jpg

Like it! :laugh_mini: 

Honestly the more I read about the machinations at FIFA, UEFA, the FA, the Football League etc, and their associated organisations, affiliates and sponsors, the more I despair. It is simply shocking what goes on behind the scenes at all these organisations and I'm sure the current stories are only the tip of the iceberg. But I suppose it goes back to the days of Stanley Rous and his frankly racist and elitist views on the world, so I suppose nothing is new is it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, lightengine said:

Watching the Scotland Womens team is exactly like watching the mens team, lots of hype and expectation followed by inevitable disappointment cumulating in one last heroic failure to reach the next stage, flicked over last night just as Argentina scored their first, and knew immediately that it was over.

At least the girls made it to the finals.....

• Agree 2

Very sad to see the Scotland Women's team exit the finals, but also disappointing to hear the Head Coach whinging about the refereeing; When you are 3-0 up with 16 minutes to go, there's no way you should fail to win !

• Agree 2

I've personally got no problem with the women's football.

It's just the hype on the BBC website making it out as being more important that all the other football taking place. As an example here is todays fixture list. No way is the WWC more important than the Euro Under 21's, Copa America, Gold Cup and African Cup Of Nations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scores-fixtures

There was even an article the other day about one of the women scoring more WC goals than any of the men. So she's really better than Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi, etc.? Totally bonkers.

Jason

17 hours ago, pH said:

It is different from men's football, but I think they should be regarded as being related in the same kind of way as women's and men's tennis - same rules, but played in somewhat different ways due to the different people playing it.

While they are both contact sports, deliberate physical contact is not such a large part of the women's game. But I think the individual skills, and the footballing intelligence are virtually equivalent. And I don't see the same (shall we say) deliberate 'stretching' of rules. 

I just find that there are differences that show.  Maybe it is muscular and womens muscles in throwing sports (after all, netball came from basketball) and leg muscles in football are quite different in most females.  So many times last night my coffee table took some kicks as I helped them clear balls away. It's not that they lack skill it is just lack of power.

Anyway, I really enjoyed watching this little US footballeress. Reminded me of Billy Bremner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's just the hype on the BBC website making it out as being more important that all the other football taking place. As an example here is todays fixture list. No way is the WWC more important than the Euro Under 21's, Copa America, Gold Cup and African Cup Of Nations.

There was even an article the other day about one of the women scoring more WC goals than any of the men. So she's really better than Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi, etc.? Totally bonkers.

Jason

Have you seen the amount of caps some women have already got?  Bobby Moore would have to still be playing in his grave to match the amount.  It makes me wonder if they get one for turning up for training:) 

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I have to respectfully disagree; I have no interest in the Copa America or the Gold Cup (I actually had to check what the latter was), but with England and (until last night) Scotland involved, definite interest in the Women's Football World Cup.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, caradoc said:

I have to respectfully disagree; I have no interest in the Copa America or the Gold Cup (I actually had to check what the latter was), but with England and (until last night) Scotland involved, definite interest in the Women's Football World Cup.

I will respectfully both agree and disagree!! I am really enjoying following the Copa America and Gold Cup from afar but I am a bit of a world football geek, being interested in the more eclectic and niche, and know I defintely don't represent the norm. However I am also really pleased to see the interest that the women's World Cup is generating. As I said previously, I really don't think we need to compare the two games, just enjoy the men's and women's games for what they are, and appreciate that they are different. There's something out there for everyone in football .... it would be a boring world if we were all the same and enjoyed the same things! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2