The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

2 hours ago, Torper said:

The effort put into the game by both teams, and the Swedes' elation at winning, would suggest that the players would not agree with him.  Personally, as someone who supports one of the smaller and less successful teams in British football, it us utter nonsense to say that any position other than the winner is irrelevant.

DT

As you say, to smaller teams it matters a bit more.

Overall the 3rd or 4th placed team/contestant won't often be asked in a pub quiz.

28 minutes ago, lightengine said:

At least one of the sporting events at the Olympics was changed last time to give bronze medals to both losing semi finalists.  About time it was included in every sport whatever the competition.

I think that's only boxing and other dangerous sports. You can't really expect them to fight it off for third place if you are possibly going to get hurt.

Jason

All I'll say is "who remember the 3rd place/semi finalists in a cup competition?" As LE says probably no-one unless you happen to support that club. Being a semi finalist for a small club IS a big thing, but I recon it downgrades it if they lose on the 3rd/4th playoff and finish 4th. I'd prefer to be known as the team that got to the semis, not the one who finished 4th...

• Agree 1

I see that man of the people Marko Arnautović has finally completed his move to China, 6 months after signing a 5-year deal worth £130,000 a week. I expect the fans, staff, players and board are pleased to see the back of him. 

Hopefully the Pogba and Lukaku sagas will be sorted quickly and won't drag on for weeks. They both looked ecstatic to be heading to Australia didn't they!? It's a hard life....... :jester:

In other tournament news, Brasil won the Copa last night and Mexico the Gold Cup.

The Copa has been fiesty throughout, with sendings off and VAR dominating the agenda. Messi has been very vocal about bias to Brasil, he really didn't deserve to be sent off in the third-place play-off. Jesus was sent off ast night in the final and took his frustration out on a VAR monitor! Good lad..... I was initially a fan but I honestly think now that it is ruining the game. The winners weren't really tested to be honest, a number of teams are in transition - Argentina, Columbia particularly - and it is the end of the road for an ageing, but what has been a class Chile team. It is a shame Uruguay didn't go further, I really like them and think they have some great players. I am sure they would have given Brasil a much sterner test too. There's another edition of the Copa next year...... they're coming up fast these days!

Edited by south_tyne
Added some stuff....

Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

Another miracle?

He's doing well to be still playing at his age!

Mike.

Yes, I hear he has a track record of coming back from the dead! :laugh_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think that's only boxing and other dangerous sports. You can't really expect them to fight it off for third place if you are possibly going to get hurt.

Jason

I understand the point but boxing is inherently dangerous no matter what the status of the fight. I find it barbaric, just my personal opinion and I know millions of others think differently, but I think a third-place decided is more appropriate for the Olympics, where it is the individual medals that are the important thing. Football isn't like that. Yes the players might get medals but it is the trophy that is important, the collective achievement of a team. I think that is why the third-place play-off often seems a case of after the Lord Mayor's show. 

Having said that, I thought Phil Neville was canny petty in his attitude to the game. Beforehand he was bigging it up, stressing it was important to win and finish the tournament on a good footing. Afterwards, having lost, it was pointless and a waste of time. 

Well done to the USA though on retaining their title. They are clearly a cut above the rest and deserve their win. It's up to others to raise their game and step up now, the US are setting the standard. 

Edited by south_tyne
Spelling

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Well done to the USA though on retaining their title. They are clearly a cut above the rest and deserve their win. It's up to others to raise their game and step up now, the US are setting the standard. 

Only a small cut above the rest IMHO, I don't think they are as skilful as many of the other teams, it just seems to be their fitness and stamina that gets them through, they didn't really boss any of the half decent teams in the matches they played, got some iffy decisions in their favour, and if England could take penalties who knows how that match could have finished.

As they say, you can only beat what is put in front of you though, so congratulations to them.

Mike.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Only a small cut above the rest IMHO, I don't think they are as skilful as many of the other teams, it just seems to be their fitness and stamina that gets them through, they didn't really boss any of the half decent teams in the matches they played, got some iffy decisions in their favour, and if England could take penalties who knows how that match could have finished.

As they say, you can only beat what is put in front of you though, so congratulations to them.

Mike.

No I would agree with that. The early impact and legacy of professionalism in the US and also the positive opportunities presented by the college system are undoubtedly still in place. Particularly they seem to have a nous - for some reason maybe what everyone has suddenly started calling 'game management' - which means that can win even when not playing particularly well. Of course this is what all good teams do. Killing teams off early by scoring early goals ha also been a reason for their success in this tournament. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Jesus was sent off ast night in the final and took his frustration out on a VAR monitor! 

He changed VARter into whine.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

What? They fight for gold and silver.  Is bronze more dangerous?

• Agree 1

Sign outside church in Liverpool - "What would you do if Jesus came to Liverpool tomorrow?"

Scrawled answer - "Move St. John to inside left."

• Funny 1

Allardyce!?! :O Allardyce!?! :nono: Allardyce!?! :angry: Honestly sometime I think Ashley is just playing with the Newcastle fans and wants to sour the relationship even further (I didn't think that was possible!). Is he purposely antagonising them? The Big Sam experience was a disaster first time round and the dynamic never worked. Thankfully the talks didn't really get off the ground as he didn't want to go back. Second coming? He is definitely not the messiah that the fans crave for.........

Brucey is now the favourite. I really like Steve, he's a good manager with a proven track record, a Geordie boy and, so in most circumstances, he would be the perfect fit for the Toon job. However, I just worry that he will be stepping into a poisonous atmosphere, without any support from the club management and hierarchy. I would also be concerned that if there is a miracle and the club is sold that new owners would want to bring in their own man. His heart might rule his head though, which ultimately is understandable as it is his dream job. Right man, wrong timing? Then again, is the timing ever right at St James.

Anyway, the saga continues. I feel for the Newcastle fans though and offer hands across the water from the Super Heed Army :bye:

Edited by south_tyne
Clarification

3 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Allardyce!?! :O Allardyce!?! :nono: Allardyce!?! :angry: Honestly sometime I think Ashley is just playing with the Newcastle fans and wants to sour the relationship even further (I didn't think that was possible!). Is he purposely antagonising them? The Big Sam experience was a disaster first time round and the dynamic never worked. Thankfully the talks didn't really get off the ground as he didn't want to go back. Second coming? He is definitely not the messiah that the fans crave for.........

Brucey is now the favourite. I really like Steve, he's a good manager with a proven track record, a Geordie boy and, so in most circumstances, he would be the perfect fit for the Toon job. However, I just worry that he will be stepping into a poisonous atmosphere, without any support from the club management and hierarchy. I would also be concerned that if there is a miracle and the club is sold that new owners would want to bring in their own man. His heart might rule his head though, which ultimately is understandable as it is his dream job. Right man, wrong timing? Then again, is the timing ever right at St James.

Anyway, the saga continues. I feel for the Newcastle fans though and offer hands across the water from the Super Heed Army :bye:

You don't still think that will happen, do you?

As has been said before . . . . It's transfer window time and so the Toon is put on the market again.

I'll say it again . . . YOU CAN READ HIM LIKE A HA'PENNY BYUK!!!!!

john

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Two_sugars said:

You don't still think that will happen, do you?

As has been said before . . . . It's transfer window time and so the Toon is put on the market again.

I'll say it again . . . YOU CAN READ HIM LIKE A HA'PENNY BYUK!!!!!

john

Nah.... I was just trying to put an optimistic spin on things. He's just a self-publicising megalomaniac! (I hear he speaks highly of me too! :laugh_mini:)

Oh, but keep your hands off Mike Williamson.... you can't have him! :derisive:

1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

Bruce would need to get in quick before Newcastle have sold all of their best players!

The way they're going there will be no one left!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

England have just reached the final of the Cricket World Cup and there is an Ashes series yet to come.  The Tour de France is only in its first week, Wimbledon hasn’t finished  and the Open golf is still a week away.  Meanwhile, qualifying has started for the Champions and Europa Leagues and a Scottish Cup game is live on TV tonight. The EFL starts in three weeks.  Someone, somewhere has lost the plot.  Perhaps it’s me?

• Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, BoD said:

Someone, somewhere has lost the plot.  Perhaps it’s me?

I suppose it is just a 12 month a year game now. I like a bit of a break over the summer and absolutely love my cricket, so I've been glued to the World Cup on TMS over the last 6 weeks or so. However football is always there, rumbling on in the background over the off-season. However, as you highlight, if you really want a break there are plenty of other sporting spectacles to enjoy at the moment. 

Well yesterday I took the plunge again and renewed my season ticket. Should be an exciting season ahead, in spite of our enforced relegation...... Haway the Super Heed Army!!! :clapping:

• Like 2