Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

Same old story for Sunderland ...sad.gif

Yes, sorry about that. I posted in the knowledge of, what I thought was, the inevitable....did not expect an equaliser in the last few seconds. Fair result? Probably not...but in terms of possession we were about even. One that helps either team? Well for us, with Wolves winning, not really...however it means we haven't lost ground on Bolton, which I suppose is a good thing...

Plenty of goals today though (before Villa v. Man U), and of eight games played so far, there were 6 draws, and a total of 22 goals...

• RMweb Gold

A good day so far, with Spurs loosing & Chelsea dropping points, not to mention Utd being down against Villa with not long left (please dont let there be stupid amounts of injury time this week...)

Looking forward to (touch wood) continuing Liverpools current run of misery tomorrow!

Mmm..... wonder who Sir Alex is going to hit out against this time.

Hopefully, Wayne Rooney.

What a poor, disgraceful example to set to the potential England footballers of the future with that dive. Did I hear the commentators praise Martin Atkinson for making the correct decision - a yellow card - for Wayne Rooney's dive? Not a bit of it.

Guaranteed, he won't referee at Manchester United again - too good and too fair for them!

Well done Villa who have done what I have been saying everyone should have been doing to United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool this season - getting in their faces with aggressive, attacking football and it's paid off for them.

Now for my part...

Stockport 1 - 2 Charlton - I'm a very happy bunny this evening, with Leeds drawing we move within 2 points of the table toppers (who still that annoying game in hand, but never mind). :)

• Like 1

Losing at home to Wolves and throwing it away to Everton last week sums up why Spurs wont finish in the top 6 let alone top 4, ALL tickets at white Hart Lane should carry a government health warning. theres the easy way and the Tottenham wayangry.gif

Steve,

I've got some cracking ideas for European Competitions:

1:) A European Cup competition where the only entrants are the Champions of the Country's respective Top Leagues, it is a straight knockout competition from the off, and all the Clubs are drawn out of a hat at each stage and its a Home & away tie. Losers are OUT full stop.

2:) For the next couple of teams in the league i.e. 2nd,3rd and possible 4th we could have another competition with exactly the same rules as above, or maybe this one could be a League based competition.

3:) A European Competition for teams who win major domestic cup competitions, maybe we could call the Cup Winners Cup, again straight knockout competition and each game is drawn out of a hat at each stage.

Should I send these ideas to Mr Blatter/Mr Platini for consideration for next years competitions???

Regards

Neal.

Like your idea, go back to how it used to be, how can teams who finish 2nd,3rd and even 4th go in to a competition called Champions League ? Champions of what

What has really hacked me off is Gabby Logan saying and Wolves haven't won in the capital for 30 years....but she and others seem to forget that Wolves have had a roller coaster existance. Thankfully I stayed away from that awful match at White Hart Lane when Spurs couldn't stop scoring.

What has really hacked me off is Gabby Logan saying and Wolves haven't won in the capital for 30 years....but she and others seem to forget that Wolves have had a roller coaster existance.

I'm not sure I follow. What are you saying - that Wolves have won in London recently, or that you don't like MOTD with its "silly stat of the week"? They came out with "Villa haven't beaten Man U since 1983, too", which is meaningless (if true) when you consider who was playing back then - but throwing bits of info like that around is just a harmless bit of fun, surely?

I, for one, am certainly pleased that Villa managed to break the hoodoo yesterday. I thought the only way for Chelsea to extend their lead would have been for them to beat Everton, and for Villa to snatch a draw. After the 3-3 at Stamford Bridge, I wasn't too hopeful...

With 6 draws out of 9 games yesterday, the only meaningful winners at the top of the table were Villa (who, as a local team, I have to support a bit), and spurs must be kicking themselves, along with Man U.

Did anyone else manage to lip-read Sir Alex when the 4th official showed the injury time board? It looked an awful lot like "Where the **** did you get that from?" I had to chuckle...

I thought the best comment of the day came from Tony Pulis, when he said he couldn't wait to get home to see Figueroa's goal!

• RMweb Gold

Fergie's moaning about time added on now.It should be taken out of the refs control.Perhaps there needs to be a new rule that states that play continues till United score or given a penalty at the Stretford end which ever comes first. :D ;)

Fergie's moaning about time added on now.It should be taken out of the refs control.Perhaps there needs to be a new rule that states that play continues till United score or given a penalty at the Stretford end which ever comes first. biggrin.gif wink.gif

That used to be the rule until quite recently, I believe...

Ideally, what should happen is that 2 clocks are used, with the times visible on the big screens. One keeps on running all the time, but the other is stopped every time there's an injury or a substitution or whatever. At the end of 45 minutes, if the other clock is still only showing 42 minutes, then everyone can see that there'll be an extra 3 minutes to play, as the whistle will only blow when the second clock reaches 45 (or 90, as appropriate) minutes. With this system, players would be able to estimate the injury time at any point of the match.

That used to be the rule until quite recently, I believe...

Ideally, what should happen is that 2 clocks are used, with the times visible on the big screens. One keeps on running all the time, but the other is stopped every time there's an injury or a substitution or whatever. At the end of 45 minutes, if the other clock is still only showing 42 minutes, then everyone can see that there'll be an extra 3 minutes to play, as the whistle will only blow when the second clock reaches 45 (or 90, as appropriate) minutes. With this system, players would be able to estimate the injury time at any point of the match.

Here's another thing in football that isn't really broken but folks still want to fix it.

But for the sake of argument, let's suppose we do what you suggest. The whistle will blow when that clock hits 45 minutes for the half. Precise. No arguments.

When it chalks off an almost certain goal for Chelsea or whichever of the overpaid teams you support, you and your prima donna manager will be OK with that? No complaining, right? The clock said time was up, so we're following the Clive Thomas school of refereeing and timekeeping, and the game is over. Tough cheddar and all that.

Let's leave it alone, it seems to work fine and I don't think ManUre or any other team have really gained from it. I'd suggest those last gasp goals stem more from one team having an edge over the other in concentration and determination than anything else.

... for the sake of argument, let's suppose we do what you suggest. The whistle will blow when that clock hits 45 minutes for the half. Precise. No arguments.

When it chalks off an almost certain goal for Chelsea or whichever of the overpaid teams you support, you and your prima donna manager will be OK with that? No complaining, right? The clock said time was up, so we're following the Clive Thomas school of refereeing and timekeeping, and the game is over. Tough cheddar and all that.

Of course, you're right, inasmuch as there's a tendency to see a problem where it does not exist, and then propose a solution. However, we already have a situation where time is added on at the end of each half (which is always exact mulitples of 1 minute, oddly...), and all I was doing was suggesting a way of making that added time transparent to all.

Yes indeed, Chelsea is the overpaid team I happen to support, but I don't do so blindly. I just want the rules of the game to be applied fairly and transparently to all teams. I certainly don't want the referee to only blow his whistle at the end of a particular phase of play, even if my team are on the attack. I think I'm one of the few supporters who think Clive Thomas got it right. Under my (slightly tongue-in-cheek) plan above, the whistle and/or hooter would blow after 90 minutes of "live" play, and anything - even a Chelsea goal! - after that would not count.

• RMweb Gold

Of course, you're right, inasmuch as there's a tendency to see a problem where it does not exist, and then propose a solution. However, we already have a situation where time is added on at the end of each half (which is always exact mulitples of 1 minute, oddly...), and all I was doing was suggesting a way of making that added time transparent to all.

Yes indeed, Chelsea is the overpaid team I happen to support, but I don't do so blindly. I just want the rules of the game to be applied fairly and transparently to all teams. I certainly don't want the referee to only blow his whistle at the end of a particular phase of play, even if my team are on the attack. I think I'm one of the few supporters who think Clive Thomas got it right. Under my (slightly tongue-in-cheek) plan above, the whistle and/or hooter would blow after 90 minutes of "live" play, and anything - even a Chelsea goal! - after that would not count.

Maybe if you add to that a rule saying that the next time the ball goes out of play after the injury time is up the final whistle is blown.... Or better still, just completely follow what rugby do and stop the clock as soon as there is a reason to and do away with injury time completely!

IIRC in Rugby League the hooter blows at the end of time, allowing for stoppages, and play continues until the ball goes dead. It's then up to the attacking team to keep the ball in play until they can at least get a shot at goal. If they score the ball is dead anyway. I can see the obvious disadvantages with soccer, but RL is a much more physical game with a lot of deliberate body contact and they manage all right. The obvious difference is that the RL disciplinary committee absolutely will not tolerate arguing or physical contact with the referee. And the "only the captain talks to the ref" rule is enforced, in the main. To his credit, I've seen John Terry trying to do that for Chelsea.

Geoff.

You'd love US High School soccer then. For reasons that have never been clear to me, HS has its own set of rules. For a while I maintained a dual certification because the money is pretty good for doing HS, but the rule differences and the mechanics involved (HS uses the thoroughly discredited dual system of refereeing, two refs with whistles, no ARs) became too much to stomach and I packed it in to concentrate on proper football.

Anyway, HS matches are governed by a stadium clock (where there is one, otherwise we're back to the watch on my wrist) which stops in a very perverse manner as follows: injuries (OK, that's the same as FIFA), a goal being scored, a penalty being awarded, a player being booked or sent off, or as directed by the referee. Substitutions, it keeps running.

I remember observing a match where a free kick was awarded with very little time remaining. The kicking team asked the ref to manage the wall, which was maybe 8 yards away. The ref duly did so, blew his whistle for the kick, and the stadium clock ran to zero, so the other ref blew his whistle to end the match. Everybody was decidedly annoyed at this fiasco, even the parents of the team that had just had a let-off. They thought it was a pretty stupid way to end the match.

If I haven't fallen asleep while watching, I can usually predict how much time will be added on, so it really shouldn't come as that much of a surprise to people. Timekeeping is best thought of as like chopping up wood with a chainsaw. It'll be roughly accurate, but don't go bringing out the dial calipers.

I've got some cracking ideas for European Competitions:

1:) A European Cup competition where the only entrants are the Champions of the Country's respective Top Leagues, it is a straight knockout competition from the off, and all the Clubs are drawn out of a hat at each stage and its a Home & away tie. Losers are OUT full stop.

2:) For the next couple of teams in the league i.e. 2nd,3rd and possible 4th we could have another competition with exactly the same rules as above, or maybe this one could be a League based competition.

3:) A European Competition for teams who win major domestic cup competitions, maybe we could call the Cup Winners Cup, again straight knockout competition and each game is drawn out of a hat at each stage.

Should I send these ideas to Mr Blatter/Mr Platini for consideration for next years competitions???

Totally agree! Certainly would stop the moaners complaining about playing too much football. Danny Baker also has a great idea for a cup competition - "The King Herod Cup", whereby all players report home to their place of birth and can then only play for that team. Now that is a cup competition I would pay to see!

I haven't posted on this for a while. But I feel I need to blow the trumpet lous and proud for Birmingham City, who are the form team of the premier league at the moment, adn by our performance yesterday. I can't write off european football next seaon. As a Blues fan, I am the eternal pessimist, but it refreshing to see a full house at St. Andrews, and stunning football being played.

Keep Right On (as we say in Birmingham).

Like the bit about 2 clocks. This reminded me of the big clock at highbury, where the away fans stood. Arsenal were playing Spurs and were 1 - 0 up. The Spurs fans got hold of the minute hand and yanked it back to give Spurs more time. Then they scored an equaliser, so the same fans pushed the hand forward to show time was up. Classic

I haven't posted on this for a while. But I feel I need to blow the trumpet lous and proud for Birmingham City, who are the form team of the premier league at the moment, adn by our performance yesterday. I can't write off european football next seaon. As a Blues fan, I am the eternal pessimist, but it refreshing to see a full house at St. Andrews, and stunning football being played.

Keep Right On (as we say in Birmingham).

The only way Birmingham will get into europe will be on a day trip to Dunkirk

• RMweb Gold

The only way Birmingham will get into europe will be on a day trip to Dunkirk

Sounds pretty much how Spurs Champions League would play out should by some ridiculous chance they ever make it to 4th place....

In a rather good mood after todays performance, happy to see Arsenal picking up points while playing badly for a change. Even more so given everyone else dropped points this weekend. Win the game in hand and its 2nd place, 3 points behind Chelsea.........

Sounds pretty much how Spurs Champions League would play out should by some ridiculous chance they ever make it to 4th place....

In a rather good mood after todays performance, happy to see Arsenal picking up points while playing badly for a change. Even more so given everyone else dropped points this weekend. Win the game in hand and its 2nd place, 3 points behind Chelsea.........

Dream on

Local boy wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

Being a real football supporter (Cardiff City), like millions of others it is in my blood to almost despise Manchester Utd. (each has a different reason for so doing)..... but I must say that Ryan Giggs has got the recognition he deserves, he's played in, and scored in every season of the Premiership, with one club, and won almost every honour the game can throw at him.

As most football fans know, he was an England schools "cap" under the name Ryan Wilson but chose to ply his trade for Wales (occasionally, as Alex ferguson also manages Wales, or at least picks the team !).

Had he been English, it is without doubt he would have been the most capped English international of all time.

Well done, and he's from just up the road too !

And nice to see his grandfather Dennis there with him.

Brian R

I'll keep quiet about today's Sky Championship showing for fear of upsetting any Boro fans on here, they'd have had more fun 'bunking' what's left of Thornaby !