Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

No idea how we did or didn't get on today despite seeing my first game in 1965 and following them ever since.

It's not about winning or losing or life or death,it's much more important than that,

Inspector Clouseau followed by Mr.Bean(itez).

Add a couple of cowboys(probably Mongo and the idiot cook from Blazing Saddles)and my cup of joy overfloweth.

We have and,and never had,any right to win anything let alone everything but at least we could have gone down down in a proper way with effort and pride.

At least we haven't gone down fighting,unless we next get in Rocky Balboa,even he'd know about as much about Liverpool than any of the above.

Almost makes David Moyes look good.

p.s.I didn't really mean the last bit but I'm so down I can't be bothered to delete it.

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased about the progress that Southampton are making. At last the club seems to be on an even keel, the new owner seems to be running the club in a dignified, correct way. It looks like the first target, ie consolidation in the league after the handicap of the 10 point penalty, seems attainable. There were 30,890 at St Mary's today, which by any standards is damn good for a Div 1 game. I'm not thinking too much about the play offs, maybe next season?

Very pleased about the progress that Southampton are making. At last the club seems to be on an even keel, the new owner seems to be running the club in a dignified, correct way. It looks like the first target, ie consolidation in the league after the handicap of the 10 point penalty, seems attainable. There were 30,890 at St Mary's today, which by any standards is damn good for a Div 1 game. I'm not thinking too much about the play offs, maybe next season?

As a Charlton fan through and through, I was furious when I heard the board had sacked Pardew...completely unwarranted at the time (and I was thoroughly ashamed of the club when he returned with the saints this year - the booing was completely unjustified).

He has done wonders with that club - had they not had their 10 point deduction they'd be fighting for the top spot with us. Full credit to pards and the southampton faithful for a superb season so far :icon_thumbsup2:

OK then;

Forgive me a moment of self promotion if you will; the Official Hailsham Town FC Website has now been launched B)

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hailshamtownfc/

Not a great amount on there at the moment - all the First and Reserves fixtures and results, a few pictures, and a lot of contact/history/clubhouse/sponsorship stuff - but more is to come.

Pitchero is actually pretty good :thup: - Usually don't like these 'Template' websites, but this one does a very good job really.

Three points for the Irons makes for a very Happy Christmas biggrin.gif Now to repeat the trick against Spurs on Monday ohmy.gif huh.gif

Dont want to gloat, but i will, as hammers fans give me hell when they rarely beat us, still thats another 6 points off West Ham as usual, and with 37 points we only need 3 from 18 games to stay up..

• RMweb Premium

Things are going from bad to worse at the foot of the premiership. Poor performance against West Ham, and Arsenal up next. sad.gif

Reports are coming out that the players are not going to be paid on time again, and that the ease our financial woes more players will have to be sold... And even then there is a chance our transfer embargo may not be lifted. Adding to the total mismanagement of the club at a boardroom level, good old 'Arry is sniffing round to see who else he can plunder from us; one thing him moving one (that happens all the time, we've got over that), but quite another when he strips the club of all its decent players (not that we have too many); now he is being linked with Belhaj and Begovic.

... good old 'Arry is sniffing round to see who else he can plunder from us; one thing him moving on... but quite another when he strips the club of all its decent players (not that we have too many); now he is being linked with Belhaj and Begovic.

You can hardly blame him, can you? Pompey are clearly in a mess at the moment, which isn't really Harry's fault. If Portsmouth didn't have to sell players to pay wages, then no-one would be buying them in January. And if Harry is first in the queue to sign David James, for instance, it's because he's been able to see the keeper's merits first-hand in the past.

As for my own chosen team, I'm just pleased that they've remembered what 3 points are. Unconvincing against Fulham? Maybe, but I'm not bothered. The one thing that does bother me is that Salomon Kalou has waited until he's about to fly off to Africa to show what he's capable of.

Actually, the period of the African Nations Cup will be a testing one for Chelsea. With all those players missing, and Anelka still injured, we could see the spectacle of Borini and Sturridge up front. Thank goodness for a (relatively) kind fixture list in January!

Useless fact to upset Claude even further: the only team with more players than Chelsea going to the African Cup is... Portsmouth!

Why play the African cup in the winter season seeing so many of them play here. Play it in June i say...

Do you know, I had the same brilliant idea, but I went one step further:

Play the ACN in the summer... in England! Seriously, can you see how good that idea is? Easy transport, most of the players are already in the right continent, revenue for clubs during the summer, something for the fans to enjoy in the closed season - I see no disadvantages, except for the obvious one, that England isn't in Africa... it could work, I tells ya!

Pompey are clearly in a mess at the moment

What goes round comes round I guess - not much sympathy from along the coast when it all went pear shaped for the Saints cool.gif

Let me stress, I wasn't gloating over Portsmouth's woes - far from it - I was just pointing out something that seemed too obvious to ignore. As I've said before, I take no pleasure in any club's difficulties, because I know that, for the most part, at whatever level, they're made up of honest individuals trying to do their best in often tricky circumstances. When someone says "such-and-such club have no class", they usually mean that the actions of one or two big-headed people have said or done something upsetting. I try not to stoop to petty insults, but then again, I like my chosen club more than I hate its rivals, so I guess I'm not a "proper" footie fan!

Do you know, I had the same brilliant idea, but I went one step further:

Play the ACN in the summer... in England! Seriously, can you see how good that idea is? Easy transport, most of the players are already in the right continent, revenue for clubs during the summer, something for the fans to enjoy in the closed season - I see no disadvantages, except for the obvious one, that England isn't in Africa... it could work, I tells ya!

Great idea, trouble is i think the missus wouldn't be too happy. Moans about too much footie on tele now, still dont they all !!

I hope you're right - Zola's a top bloke, not that that makes him immune from the sack, of course...

Stop press 3: Portsmouth issued with winding-up order by HMRC (this is so up-to-date I can't even find a link yet).

Not sure what the implications are for Pompey, but one fears the dreaded 10-point penalty, at the very least. Bad news indeed.

EDIT: looks as if they've got a stay of execution until February.

• RMweb Premium

Stop press 3: Portsmouth issued with winding-up order by HMRC (this is so up-to-date I can't even find a link yet).

Not sure what the implications are for Pompey, but one fears the dreaded 10-point penalty, at the very least. Bad news indeed.

Not sure if the 10-point deduction is just a football league rule; even so just another nail in the coffin for the club. sad.gif

I'm sure the club will survive in one form or another - if it does fold then I'd place a pretty good bet that either Havant and Waterlooville or Bournemouth will get a large influx of new fans...I'm sure there's another club a little to the west of us; but we don't like to talk about them...tongue.gif

I am also sure that we will go down this season, and run the risk of going into free-fall. Hopefully those that have wrecked the club through their incompetence over the last year or so will be hurt by this in the only place they have any feeling....the wallet.

I fear it will be many years before we will recover properly...

Play Up Pompey...even if we are going down...