The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

What has happened to the BBC's web football coverage? Looks glamorous, but finding what you want is hopeless. The minute by minute live overall commentary seems to have gone too. The forthcoming fixtures are all divided by division and competition, with all forthcoming fixtures on different dates shown in the same list, so it is really diffiult to pick what is being played on any one day. Hopeless! Useless!

To get the 'live text' for individual games you have to click on the 'Live' heading - an example: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16778984

As for the live text covering all games, that's still there - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16885965

You are right about the fixtures page though, I can't find a 'everything on today' page anywhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've kept quiet up to now but........

.......isn't Martin O'Neil wonderful?

Yes but who was his teacher.I think he will be the next England manager as well.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, funny old week for the Hammers.

Worst loss for ages to Ipswich on Tuesday (I'd thought about going but wimped out at the last minute, thank goodness) followed by Saturday's super performance beating Millwall 2-1 with 10 men on the pitch for 80 minutes (Nolan, you're a tw@t). Other results went our way, now 4 points clear at the top.

We should go up, but I wonder......

• Like 1

Yes we should Colin, but you will know as a Hammers fan to take nothing for granted - part of the culture is knowing that on their day they can destroy anyone in the division but are then still capable of losing at home to Coventry (or 5-1 at Ipswich). Even now I'm never sure which team will turn up. But the performance against Millwall showed a lot of character, so that's encouraging. They still need to score more goals though.

What has happened to the BBC's web football coverage? Looks glamorous, but finding what you want is hopeless. The minute by minute live overall commentary seems to have gone too. The forthcoming fixtures are all divided by division and competition, with all forthcoming fixtures on different dates shown in the same list, so it is really diffiult to pick what is being played on any one day. Hopeless! Useless!

The whole BBc sport site is now appallingly laid-out, with an horrendous colour scheme. It's an utter mess, and I agree, the football section is amongst the worst of it.

I tried to keep an eye on the scores on Saturday, and every time I refreshed the page (because auto-refresh only seems to work when it wants to now), the Beeb's sycophantic interview with Rio Ferdinand kept starting up. And how many different divisions do they think I want to know about? I'd like to keep up-to-date with England and Scotland - the Austrian Bundesliga is not on my radar, I'm sorry to say. Aaarrgghh!

As for the 3-3 - hey ho, I was never entirely convinced that Chelsea would win, even at 3-0. Mind you, they rode their luck in the first half, so an iffy penalty in the second may possibly have evened things up - I doubt that was Howard Webb's intention, but anyone who wanted an exciting finish certainly got one!

Anyone know why Match of the Day is not on Catchup?

Due to most of the football transmission rights being snapped up by Sky, I believe that there are quite strict restrictions on when the BBC is allowed to show their highlights package, and so you'll not find MotD or most shown-as-live sporting events on iPlayer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Like Harry or not, what a strain to have had this hanging over his head for 5 years.

Occasionally listening to reports of the evidence, I thought at the time, why would multi-millionaire Milan Mandaric and millionaire Redknap be wanting to faff about 'evading' relatively small amounts of tax?

The bigger question should hang over the CPS and the cost to the taxpayer of their actions.

Edit.

Just heard a smug, self-serving statement from the CPS lawyer outside the court justifying their action, despite the innocent verdict.

"we will pursue tax evaders etc..." If you or I are slow on our tax returns the revenue are after us almost immediately, reference the statement about our serving military in Afghanistan would be fined if their returns are late....but 5 years and £millions later...questions have got to be asked.

Looks like the UK is run by a joint committee of the FA and HMRC...

Many, many years ago, when tackles were somewhat more fierce than today, a police officer (they were then stationed along the touch-line) tried to take action and was reprimanded by his superior who said that they had no jurisdiction on the field of play. Plus Ò«a change !

For a English-speaker, I take it you are stretching a point for the sainted Mr R ?

Sad because abroad, Capello was an excellent manager. The England job is a poisoned chalice and then some.

I don't expect anyone at this point in time to do well in the job because there's still far too much media scrutiny/backlash over selection of squad and team that would allow anyone to just get on with the job.

Looks like the UK is run by a joint committee of the FA and HMRC...

Many, many years ago, when tackles were somewhat more fierce than today, a police officer (they were then stationed along the touch-line) tried to take action and was reprimanded by his superior who said that they had no jurisdiction on the field of play. Plus Ò«a change !

For a English-speaker, I take it you are stretching a point for the sainted Mr R ?

Reminds me of a story that is often told down at the club.

Before my time at Hailsham, someone fouled Dave Rowe in a rather violent manner. The ref sent him off - but his day got worse when then Hailsham Chairman Carl Taylor, a police inspector at the time, marched onto the pitch and arrested him for common assault :D

I hear there's a vacancy now... :O :o

Maybe they should have rotating guest managers in the same manner as Have I Got News For You, and the Model Railway Journal Editor's chair.

I'd like to see Brian Blessed have a go.

Lets hope the new manager fits the criteria of being able to speak English then.That rules out King Kenny though. :no:

As long as no writing is required, Harry Redknapp should stand a chance.

Although it pains me to say it, as i dont want to lose Redknap, But i feel Fabio was right to resign. Firstly it should be the manager who chooses who is captain, and more importantly, In British law one is innocent until proved guilty. John Terry's racial charge isn't heard untill July, so MUST be presumed innocent untill a verdict is realised. If guilty, fair enough remove him as captain, ban him, do what ever, BUT not before. F.A. could have egg on its face (again )

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I do agree that it is the managers choice who the captain is, it should still not come as a huge suprise to Capello that Terry was stripped of the captaincy. Innocent until proven guilty does not exist in situations involving racism...as has been mentioned before, if any one of us on here were accused of saying what Terry was accused of in our workplace, we would be suspended with immediate effect, long before we had any chance to prove our innocence. Why should this be any different for a footballer?

Had Terry had any wherewithall he would have resigned as captain until his case was resolved. That is what Chris Huhne did when he was charged - and that was only for switching points to his wife's licence...not racial abuse. It speaks volumes for football that even a politician can make a better call in terms of dignity!

Capollo backed himself into a corner, called the FA's bluff and lost. Somehow I don't think they are too upset and at least the new manager will have a couple of months - although only a couple of games - to settle in.

Who will be next? Redknapp will be favourite, however Pearce may be a good candidate with his knowledge of the U21 set up.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

Whilst I do agree that it is the managers choice who the captain is, it should still not come as a huge suprise to Capello that Terry was stripped of the captaincy. Innocent until proven guilty does not exist in situations involving racism...

But why should a racism charge be any different from any other charge.? We are supposed to be inocent until proven guilty, although i know from personal experience that whilst in court it is the other way round.

• RMweb Gold

Some of the blame for this farce must fall on the judge/magistrate who agreed to postpone the case. I wonder what would happen if you and I had a court appearance and said "I'm sorry I've got to work on that date?"

The fact that the club thought it appropriate to write and ask for a postponement shows that they now believe that they take precedent over the law. No the wonder that some of our fotballers behave like spoilt prima donnas.

Its not just racism for which many people can be suspended either. In some jobs it is accepted procedure, irregardless of guilt and the public wouldn't have it any other way. I personally believe that England captain should be one such job.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But why should a racism charge be any different from any other charge.? We are supposed to be inocent until proven guilty, although i know from personal experience that whilst in court it is the other way round.

This does not just apply to racism. I suspect one of the reasons for this is it is such a divisive issue, and more than likely to cause a great deal of polarised opinion within any group or organisation. Terry made two mistakes...firstly being accused of racially abusing another player, second being accused of racially abusing the brother of a fellow England player. The team will immediately divide into those that side with the Ferdinands and those that side with Terry.

Whilst it is too much to hope for a footballer to use their judgement in situations like this, none was applied here, the damage has been done. In my view such a divisive figure cannot be captain...a role which requires a team member who can act as a unifier for the team. The argument could be used that this was in the heat of the moment. It is a bit like someone saying that they acted out of character due to excess booze...increased stress or being 'tired and emotional' are enemies of self control. If Terry had referred to Anton Ferdinand as a F***ing c*** then there may have been a few mutterings of disapproval from pundits - a la Rooney a year or so ago - but not a lot else. By adding the word 'black' (or suchlike), he took it to another level and beyond the heat of the battle.

Whilst the niceties of employment law I sure could be discussed by those in a position of greater knowledge than I, I can only comment on those rules that effect me in my own workplace, and those I have been in the past. If I get accused of any discrimination I am suspended during investigation and may or may not be reinstated once the judgement has been made.

This whole sorry saga has been a succession of bad calls. Terry for the original transgression, or at least putting himself in the position of finding himself accused of such transgression. Terry also for not recognising the effect the fall out would have and take the pre-emptive step of stepping down as captain during the investigations. Terry's advisers for not pressing this home to him. The FA for appearing to not consult Capello on their decision prior to their announcement, and Capello for not having the foresight to know this would blow up and taking the necessary steps sooner to head this off.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 2