RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if Arsenal and City are piloting a new 10-aside team to try to reduce wages costs in the Prem?!  :biggrin_mini2:

That's six red cards in the last six meetings. I couldn't disagree with either decision but Mike Dean does tend to be a red card and/or penalty waiting to happen so it does seem a bit brainless to oblige him quite so readily.

Koscielny's rugby embrace of Edin Dzeko was titled in one photo I've seen as 'great tackle, wrong sport'! Kompany's card may be slightly more debateable; he did dive in with both feet but also took the ball. On MOTD2 they showed a couple of other recent examples of similar tackles where in one case nothing at all was given and in the other it was a yellow card. Where's Simon Martin when you need him?

David

Edited by DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

Another sad story of talent gone to waste:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/15/michael-johnson-released-manchester-city

And, yes, I'm looking at you Lee Sharpe. I still wince at the memory of the three that he scored when United battered Arsenal 6-2 at Highbury in the League Cup. At least his career did get a bit further than Johnson's.

Proof that injuries aren't just about healing the body.

David

Edited by DavidLong

Another sad story of talent gone to waste:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/15/michael-johnson-released-manchester-city

And, yes, I'm looking at you Lee Sharpe. I still wince at the memory of the three that he scored when United battered Arsenal 6-2 at Highbury in the League Cup. At least his career did get a bit further than Johnson's.

Proof that injuries aren't just about healing the body.

David

Take your point about Lee Sharpe, he was never the same after his 'ahem' meningitis, that and knee injuries did for him, possibly as he was a player who to a degree relied on pace.

I was at that 6-2 match, looking back quite an unbelievable match, Utd were nothing particular special at the time, very much work in progress and Arsenal had let it something like 4 goals all season at Highbury, so the 2-6 was something of a shock, it was possibly the most famous hour of the acid house blue away strip of the very early nineties!

Having said that a bit unfair to compare Sharpe with Johnson, Sharpe managed 200+ games for Utd, winning 3 league titles, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup and 1 ECW Cup, not a bad return, Johnson managed 37 appearances for City.......

There were always rumours about Johnson and his lack of dedication so this came as no surprise, I don't think there's a cat in hells chance that he'll return as a footballer, he was seemingly far more interested in the lifestyle and pay check that came with it rather than the actual game.  

• RMweb Premium

I was at that 6-2 match, looking back quite an unbelievable match, Utd were nothing particular special at the time, very much work in progress and Arsenal had let it something like 4 goals all season at Highbury, so the 2-6 was something of a shock, it was possibly the most famous hour of the acid house blue away strip of the very early nineties!

Having said that a bit unfair to compare Sharpe with Johnson, Sharpe managed 200+ games for Utd, winning 3 league titles, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup and 1 ECW Cup, not a bad return, Johnson managed 37 appearances for City.......

Hey, we were at the same game! Different parts of the ground though   :yes:

Take your point about Sharpe. Until I looked it up I hadn't realised quite how many games he did play for United and the injuries certainly took their toll. He also had the challenge from the likes of Beckham and Giggs in the wide midfield positions. If he had been playing even ten years earlier it is possible that he would have had to retire. In recent years we have improved the chances of people playing on after serious injuries but it may be that we still haven't quite appreciated the psychological damage that can be caused.

Another player who came to mind in this context is Stephen Ireland who I always feel is only a few short steps from pressing the self-destruct button but who seems to have settled for a long drawn-out but inexorable decline

David

• RMweb Premium

Man U 1-0 West Ham U, FA cup replay yesterday night on ITV. A tale of 2 penalties? West Ham, not given, same offence, handball, Man U. given, luckily Rooney missed. Big Sam not happy and said so on air, even the unbiased pundits said they either should have both been given, or neither given, as they were so similar.

Now far be it from me to think the the ref' thought, 10 mins to go Man U. one up but not playing that well, West Ham pressing, possible extra time, let's wrap this up now.  

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 1

.....A tale of 2 penalties? West Ham, not given, same offence, handball, Man U. given.....

Rob, handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm.

In the first case (Man Utd's Rafael), the ball ricochet off his leg up onto his arm, which was by his side and not raised. There was no deliberate intention to handle the ball and the ref had a very clear view of it.

In the West Ham case, the ball had been crossed inside the penalty area and hit the retreating West Ham player's outstretched hand, palming it down.

A marginal call as the players arm naturally swung forward while running, but the replay clearly shows he extended his arm and faced his palm to the ball.

The ref didn't have the benefit of the view shown in the TV replay, but somehow he got it right.

• RMweb Premium

even the unbiased pundits said they either should have both been given, or neither given, as they were so similar.

You conveniently left out my qualifying statement,and one of those was Roy Keene, not know for his charity towards his fellow players.

I think it's about time the handball law(s) were re-thought. Some are given with the player(s) involved nowhere near a scoring opportunity, Perhaps a free kick for outside the 6 yard box, and a penalty inside. The current rules are so subjective, and with so much riding on these decisions, it needs to be black and white.

Rob

Talking of common sense...or the lack thereof...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21079956

Words fail me...and I'm a Pompey fan!

Utter disgrace, what do the Southampton board expect, a top four finish? 22nd in league one when he took over or something like that, sorry Saints fans but I hope your board now reaps what it has sown.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Talking of common sense...or the lack thereof...http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21079956

Words fail me...and I'm a Pompey fan!

I totally agree and would like to have a rant about the apalling disloyalty of football hierarchy to their managers. However as my club's current owner beats all comers in the disloyalty stakes I shall just sit here and shake my head in a seen it all before style.

• RMweb Gold

As a Chelsea fan, I find it rather deflating to discover that we're so mediocre that merely drawing with us is now a sackable offence.

Well if you sack a manager for winning the champions league what chance has the bloke who gets successive league promotions.Football is absurd at times.

• Like 1

Well if you sack a manager for winning the champions league what chance has the bloke who gets successive league promotions.Football is absurd at times.

Well, I think that Di Matteo was sacked despite winning the CL, rather than because of (not winning it would surely have got him the chop even earlier), but I take your point.

Searching for logic in the murky world of Premier League football is a futile exercise.

The NIgel Adkins sacking is a disgrace. Apparently "a change was necessary" -  part of me hopes it turns out to be "a change for the worse" ,as that is what Cortese deserves for turning Southampton into a laughing stock in the game.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Utter disgrace, what do the Southampton board expect, a top four finish? 22nd in league one when he took over or something like that, sorry Saints fans but I hope your board now reaps what it has sown.

I totally agree.

I've supported Saints since I was 6, going down the Dell with my dad complete with rattle and orange box to stand on. No more - Although it's nice to see success at your club I don't subscribe the success at all costs train of thought.

People like Cortese and Abramovich , for me, display all that is wrong with professional football today. That's my lot with Saints, maybe it's a soft view in these days of win,win,win but there has to be some morals and ethics left somewhere, and I can't support an organisation with someone as despicable as Cortese at its head.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1

Let us not forget that loyalty between manager and board works both ways. Several managers have left their clubs for greener pastures this season. Blackpool have lost two this season, gone for more pay, better contract, "family reasons" or whatever. If Adkins had been offered a job at Man United do you think he would have said "No thanks, my loyalties are with Southampton". 

Edited by Ohmisterporter

Let us not forget that loyalty between manager and board works both ways. Several managers have left their clubs for greener pastures this season. Blackpool have lost two this season, gone for more pay, better contract, "family reasons" or whatever. If Adkins had been offered a job at Man United do you think he would have said "No thanks, my loyalties are with Southampton". 

True, but they would have negotiated a tidy little transfer fee......

'Mr Oysten, we'll give you £X for your manger'

'Done'

Likes an incoming fee does Karl!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

An excellent piece here by the estimable Barney Ronay on the defenestration of Colin Murray from MOTD2. Have to admit that I like Murray, it's the crap on the other side of the studio that offends me, as it does Ronay. Honourable exceptions to Pat Nevin and Jason Roberts, the latter of whom always looks like he wants to hit someone, probably Hansen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/blog/2013/jan/22/colin-murray-motd2-bbc

David