RMweb

Hornby 2011

dibber25

Info from the lastest British Railway Modeling chandler 2011 have pictures and item numbers.

R3012 BR class A4 462 Golden Plover in green with late crest.

R3021 BR Stanier 42613 weathered late crest.

R3022 SR Terrier 2662 Southern green.

R3048 BR intercity class 08 piccadilly 08673.

R3045 Gatwick Express class 73 Dave Berry 73202.

R4466 BR intercity mk3 sleeper coach.

R4467 BR blue van C (does this mean blue coaches ?)

R6547 Hornby 2011 tank wagon.

R9652 Skaledale Wheatsheaf Arms

R9653 Skaledale Baptist Church.

all other pictures are of 2010 items not released 4-vep & container wagon

Now we can all guest the missings gaps.

Could you please explain, as I'm being a bit thick here..........when you say "Info from the lastest British Railway Modeling chandler 2011 have pictures and item numbers." do you mean pictures of all new toolings or reliveries of old models ?

I'm excited by the R3045 Class 73 - but not if it is just a Limby model, I wonder if others may like to know as well ?

I'll be visiting Smiffs anyway to find out ..........but dunno if I can hold my excitement for another ten or so hours ! :blink:

Thanks in advance.........

Dave

• RMweb Premium

As the BRM calendar only ever features images of new liveries on existing models, the GatEx 73202 effectively kills off any chance of an all new 73 :( unless this one is a Railroad one and there is a brand new one on the main catalogue - very unlikely sadly.

But if they are thinking GatEx 73's could they also be thinking of doing three car train packs of Mk2 air con coaches in Gatwick Express livery as the Class 488 stock? To be honest we need more Mk2d's in any livery (especially the eight window TSO) as they have become somewhat scarce. Still a decent model despite dating from the late 1970's so still some mileage in it yet!

Unfortunately the livery on 73202 is of course the current Class 460/442 white/red scheme so doesn't actually match but it would not take much to produce the former Airfix/Mainline/Dapol aircons as the old Gat-Ex stock, essentially Intercity raspberry ripple livery with different branding and unit numbers on the ends. Still leaves us with a missing GLV on the other end though...

I'll take a 73202 though as it is owned/operated by my employer, looks like I will be restarting buying 73's and detailing/repainting again> I held off over the last year as I reckoned a brand new one would be a shoe in, apparently not.

The 73 looks like its the old Lima tooling. I try to use sense, not personal wishing (well some wishing) in guessing what Hornby are going to reveal but the L1 and Clan were something of a curveball so perhaps the more mundane, the more likely. I keep expecting LNE non-corridor stock as they were common with the L1. But, I think Hornby looked at the sucess of the Bachy MK1 suburbans and aren't willing to do it. I would like to think that our lobbying for Scottish prototypes got through but I'm not getting hopes up. Perhaps a few different diagrams from the Stanier P3 and Gresley folds. The wagon front is such a varied one, I wouldn't want to make a guess, not even an educated one. If I was to put money down, the fiver would go on the BR Palvan OR a design so obtuse but popular for that reason. I don't know how successful the new Bachy 03 has been, but if it has been a roaring success then that opens the door for the 01, 02, 05, 06 and 07. DMUs are a mostly un-touched market and considering how long many of the first gen units were in sevice and how popular they are, one could drill a hole and hit a gusher.

Personal w******t:

J36

Caley 419

" 812

LNER non-corridor (Gresley and Thompson)

LMS non-corridor

4/6 pre-grouping coaches

I have to ask, why Golden Plover?, okay its been put back a couple of years; no overhead electrification flashes or speedo, but still with late crest and streamlined corridor tender, its almost a repeat of R2341, a very odd choice. Personally, I want another LNER blue (or green!?) one!

S&D Maunsell 3-Set is a logical move, as they've only released the 4-Compartment brake 3rds as high-window stock so far.

I would wager those nice 12-wheel Pullmans get backdated to pre-war with white roofs with the Brake being released separately (at last) would be welcome.

... and where's that bl**dy P2!

Glenn

Purely from a marketing point of view Hornby will be delighted that everyone is already talking about what we might see in 2011 as it raises brand awareness at no cost/very little cost to them.

As for what 2011 will bring I think it is fair to say we will see an existing wagon done in a Hornby livery with 2011 on it! :P I have got one every year since 92 when they first did them!

I am looking forward to the models that didn't make this year the class 31 in Regional Railways livery and the OTA's are already on my shopping list and in fact I ordered the 31 back in Feb from my favourite retailer in Morecambe!

Thanks,

Mark

S&D Maunsell 3-Set is a logical move, as they've only released the 4-Compartment brake 3rds as high-window stock so far.

I thought they had done a low-window 4-compartment low window brake third in Southern Railway livery, but I might have imagined it.

• RMweb Premium

I thought they had done a low-window 4-compartment low window brake third in Southern Railway livery, but I might have imagined it.

I believe it's been in both Olive Green as a separate coach, and also in BR(S) Green in a set with a Schools loco, but I haven't got any details on R numbers to check at the moment.

As for what new items might or might not be coming from Hornby next year, I am strangely uninterested this time. Job and money worries mean that (at least at the time of writing) that I have far more pressing things to worry about.

If we're playing the guessing game, here goes.....

SR Maunsell 2-car push pull set.

SR Maunsell '3P' 3-car set.

LMS push pull set.

LMS 2P 4-4-0 (loco drive).

LNER Peppercorn K1 2-6-0.

GWR auto- fitted Pannier Tank.

GWR Hawksworth Auto coach.

GWR 'Star' (NRM Special).

I think this is a nice list. All quite plausible and desirable.

I'd go along with most of that Coachmann!

I thought the 54xx/64xx/74xx was going to be announced with the Castle so about time that one came out!

Now an auto coach would be ideal! I can see that being on there announcement.

Paul

A couple of votes for 54xx/64xx here. Though Mike disagrees...

Prediction No. 2

If they do anything at all about a new pannier tank it will probably be the wrong era for me.

And while I would love, and have badgered Mr Kohler for a 54XX/64XX/74XX I think I'll stay with my earlier prediction about any possible new panniersad.gif

I wouldn't mind an autofitted Pannier, and a new autotrailer to go with it would be splendid, but personally I'd prefer something built well before 1947. The Hawksworth coaches are lovely but Colletts are more versatile for GWR modellers.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I'll join the froth-fest - I was mulling this over at work last night and came up with the following:

I'm not quite sure what to say for diesel/electric stuff , the new locos such as the 31,50,56,60 are fantastic , but unless Hornby do a major revamp of one of it's existing range , it's hard to see where they could do anything new. A class 71/E5000 would be an outside bet.

Steam-wise , I have a few ideas (some of which others have also noted)

1) BR Duke of Gloucester - this seems to "fit" with Hornby's big/glamour engine range such as the A3,A4,Coronation, King etc , and as I doubt there has been much modification in terms of livery or equipment over the years , would only need the one set of tooling.

2) LNER - I'd like to see a new D49 Hunt/Shire . The technology is there nowadays to be able to convincingly model the Lenz rotary valve gear of the D49/2 (I don't expect driveshafts to revolve though!) , and the original still seems to sell well secondhand. There's also a fair bit of scope for liveries and variants.

3) LMS - A bit of a stab in the dark here , Hornby seem to do the more mundane tank locos very well , so , I'll say either a Stanier class 3 tank , or as a real wildcard , an ex-Midland 0-4-4 Tank , as seen on Combwich. Again , the 0-4-4 has a long life span right through to BR days.

I think the newer range of coaching stock is really good (ie Maunsells, Staniers and Hawksworths) , and I'd hope that with a bit of joined-up thinking and market research , Hornby come to the conclusion that the Thompson non-corridor suburban stock wouid be a winner. They'd fit well with the recent L1 tank , as previously noted , and I'd say they'd sell by the truckload in BR liveries.

A "newer" GW Autotrailer might also sell well , and an ex-LMS Push-pull driving trailer (especially if the 0-4-4 tank appears....if not the Bachmann Ivatt tank needs a partner).

I'd also like to see another SR van to the standard of the BY - a bogie B van would be another wise choice with a long service life and lots of liveries.

I think a mark 2 DBSO would be an interesting choice - if they tool the front end to allow for the esrlier Scotrail gangway variant as well as the newer version there's lots of scope , not least for a Scotrail train pack with some mark 3s.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of votes for 54xx/64xx here. Though Mike disagrees...

I wouldn't mind an autofitted Pannier, and a new autotrailer to go with it would be splendid, but personally I'd prefer something built well before 1947. The Hawksworth coaches are lovely but Colletts are more versatile for GWR modellers.

We'll just have to wait and see.

With that sort of approach to things Great Western I'll have to send you a pic of the Dean Goods I acquired (alas not too cheaply) in an auction lot yesterdaywink.gif

I still think that you might be luckier in your pannier quest than I will be in mine - that's if either of us is likely to be lucky in that directionunsure.gif, as you say - we'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully a retooled 4F & 2P. Also a Railroad Class 27. Would also like to see a class 104 DMU based on the existing 110.

Looking through all the earlier posts I can't recall seeing any reference to N gauge. As someone with space issues I have been seriously considering changing from OO to N and Hornby moving into this market would probably be the clincher. I imagine that Hornby would be concerned about the impact on their OO sales so I think that N gauge is probably a low possibility.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

I see stationmaster is about to start a 47XX kit, I am toying with the idea of getting a 47XX kit in the new year, so with two of us starting kits it will be a dead cert. that Hornby announce one! (we can dream). Any of the GWR 2-8-0/2-8-2 heavy freight tanks would be good. 18000 would be fun as it is the last of the for runners from the early days not announced yet. Duke of Gloucester should be built. A new King and a Star would be welcome by me as would a Saint. Stop Stop Stop I am being dragged in.

Archived