Hornby 2011

dibber25

Guest dilbert

detecting traces of spittle and only fourteen days away from Announcement Day (surely this should be a public holiday as well in line with certain family marriages :blink: )... dilbert

Guest Belgian

How about an NRM special of a Merchant Navy, as no. 35029 - cut away to reveal its workings!

(What's that about coats? where's mine?)

JE

The only other point I'd make is if there is an embargo, why mention the fact there was a press day at all either on here or MREmag. Surely the embargo would have been better being total then it would not encourage the froth that everyone seems to dislike! :unsure:

Everyone knows that there is going to be a press day, as it's in Hornby's interest if the magazines can write their articles before the announcement is made. I can't see any particularly good reason to keep the exact date of the press day secret, it would only give us something else to speculate about.

• RMweb Gold

My prediction No 4 will only gradually emerge (for a very good reason) but at this stage let me also say that it might well pull in the toffs (for breakfast).

I have alas now to add

Prediction No.5

(But it might not be Hornby) That a GWR 47XX will be announced, if not released, for/in 2011 as I have today bought a 'it probably started as a kit' built one at an auction.

And while I would love, and have badgered Mr Kohler for a 54XX/64XX/74XX I think I'll stay with my earlier prediction about any possible new panniersad.gif

My guess would be a B12 and D16, this would give Hornby 5 East Anglian steam locos that could all appear together just about (B12, B17, D16, L1 and Brit). However my main hope would be a lot more sound locos - especially 1950's or 1980's era to suit my 2 eras.

Either way I will be happy with most of the announcements - my wallet just wont allow them all to be purchased.

Some of the below modern image list surely should be included for 2011-:

• Class 86 upgrade/re-tool. (As Heljan on past performance are unlikely to remedy any of the detail errors on their recent offering.).
  • Class 87 upgrade/re-tool.
  • Class 90 upgrade/re-tool. (Will have to see what if any upgrades are made in the forthcoming EWS Claas 90/Virgin Silver 'Pretendolino' Mk3b DVT train pack.)
  • Class 91 upgrade/re-tool.
  • Class 92 upgrade/re-tool.
  • Mk 2d/e/f coaches re-tool. (Or at least a further run of the existing Mk2d's in blue/grey, particularly the TSO.)
  • Mk3a RFM in Vigin Trains Red Livery.
  • A further run of NXEA Mk3a's to go with the Mk3b DVT. (Ditto Class 90.)
  • MK4 coaches/DVT upgrade/retool. (Would look good in the new silver livery.)
  • First generation suburban high density dmu – a choice from Class 115/116/117/118/125/127 to a similar standard as Bachmann's Class 105/108.
  • Class 375/377 Electrostar EMU - this will complement Bachmann's forthcoming Class 350 (and 450?) Desiro unit.
  • Class 373 Eurostar upgrade/re-tool including the missing coaches R2/3/4/5/6/7/8/11/12/13/14/15/16/17. (With the gangway connections correctly sized to OO size - not HO).
  • 1995/96 Tube stock.
  • Upgrade the Railroad Class 47 to use the ex Lima rather than the original Hornby tooling.

Also how about Hornby 'updating' their Scaledale range.

It is sadly lacking in any modern buildings/structures, other than the 'Carnforth' coaling tower there seems to be very litlle else even as recent as the inter-war period(!).

Bachmann's Scenecraft range has recently leapt foward in-to the nineteen thirties/fifties e.g. the 'Art Deco' station buildings.

Therefore some of the more notable structures from 'Britain's New Railway' e.g. a power box, 25kv feeder station, rebuilt station building/canopies and the like would be very useful.

And contemporary shops/offices/houses/flats. These could include new versions of their former kits of the modern (nineteen sixties) and mock Georgian (nineteen seventies) estate houses.

If we're playing the guessing game, here goes.....

SR Maunsell 2-car push pull set.

SR Maunsell '3P' 3-car set.

LMS push pull set.

LMS 2P 4-4-0 (loco drive).

LNER Peppercorn K1 2-6-0.

GWR auto- fitted Pannier Tank.

GWR Hawksworth Auto coach.

GWR 'Star' (NRM Special).

I'd go along with most of that Coachmann!

My only hope/plea is that they actually get round to doing the S&D 3 coach sets 390-399!

The K1 is an interesting suggestion and one that makes a lot of sence!

I thought the 54xx/64xx/74xx was going to be announced with the Castle so about time that one came out!

Now an auto coach would be ideal! I can see that being on there announcement.

I'd like to think a Compound would have prefference over a 2P for some reason, dunno why. Prehaps because I've got 2 Gibson kits to build! I haven't got a need for a compound on the the S&D in the late 50's but it would be useful for Barrow Road on the Gloucester workings! Quite fance one in lined black with British Railways on the tender!

The only other item that could/should be consider is another Stanier diagram as I believe they have a major ommision to enable sensible rakes to be produced, CK I think?

I know i've not mentioned any thing about the D&E side, i'll leave that to the experts! :-)

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what Hornby will say about release dates. They've never said the following year, but in view of their supply chain problems will they be confident enough to say that everything in the new catalogue will be delivered in 2011? Would they want to risk failure, knowing current production delays?

So I'll be a cynic and predict that delivery quarters will go this year, or we won't get their full programme on Christmas Day and they'll make another announcement later in the year about additional models once they know when they should be available.

As for actual models, I hope that Hornby releases some of the missing livery/tooling variants of current models in 2011, such as a Schools in BR lined Black with late crest, an unrebuilt WC/BB with wide cab and 4500gal modified tender, a BR Blue Class 56 in later Doncaster form (e.g. 56060). And DCC fitted (but not DCC sound) versions of their earlier DCC ready locos.

Had a very interesting day with Hornby yesterday.

CHRIS LEIGH

From MREmag: 10/12/10.

On Wednesday this week, model railway magazine editors met to be briefed by Hornby about their plans for next year. The detail is embargoed until Christmas Day.

The only other point I'd make is if there is an embargo, why mention the fact there was a press day at all either on here or MREmag. Surely the embargo would have been better being total then it would not encourage the froth that everyone seems to dislike! :unsure:

The information shared is embargoed, not that fact that there was a press day. There's no need to wrap the whole thing in clandestine mystery.

Everyone knows that there is going to be a press day, as it's in Hornby's interest if the magazines can write their articles before the announcement is made. I can't see any particularly good reason to keep the exact date of the press day secret, it would only give us something else to speculate about.

Agreed. There's no harm in people anticipating the Christmas announcement. Yes, the "bah, humbug, there's nothing in it for me" kind of whining is annoying. Lot's of people don't like wishlisting. That's understandable and I think we've largely moved beyond that.

Twenty years ago we would probably wait for magazine articles or the catalogue to be published to find out what the new releases are. Thanks to modern communications we can find out, the second the information is made public. Because we can, we want to.

Anticipation for Hornby's announcement is fomented by the immediacy of the internet and gets an extra boost from the holiday season. Most of us are in an anticipatory mood prior to Christmas anyway and the Hornby announcement plays off that. It's the holidays and it's a fun and mostly harmless distraction.

I wonder what Hornby will say about release dates. They've never said the following year, but in view of their supply chain problems will they be confident enough to say that everything in the new catalogue will be delivered in 2011? Would they want to risk failure, knowing current production delays?

So I'll be a cynic and predict that delivery quarters will go this year, or we won't get their full programme on Christmas Day and they'll make another announcement later in the year about additional models once they know when they should be available.

Certainly there is the possibility that they won't communicate a delivery expectation. At some point (maybe this year, maybe not) I think they will use the new products announcement to deliberately announce products that are in the development pipeline but are more than 12 months out.

My guess is that they will communicate those deliveries they have confidence in. Given the slide of many 2010 items into 2011, I would expect to see the back half of the year more heavily loaded.

Irrespective of the accuracy of delivery expectations they have set in the past, have they included a estimated quarter for delivery of every item in the range of new annoucements anyway? I can't remember.

I agree with Coachmann regarding the GWR Star

The Star is a logical prediction from a manufacturing point of view.

The chassis is the same as the new castle less a few mm at the rear. A recent Castle I saw dismantled appear to have a section of the rear frames as part of the body mouldings. Unless I was seeing things this indicates Hornby have already considered the Star when tooling for the Castle.

Tenders, both 3,500 (from 28XX) and 4000 gallon (from Castle) already tooled and in production.

With a NRM loco in existence, marketing wise it can be included in the NRM range.

With a working life of nearly 50 years there are many livery and detail variations to market multiple sales. (They can even go for the prototype market and produce an atlantic variation)

This really is a body only project for the pattern makers and with the boiler being a standard no1 (same as the Grange) and running plate the same as a Castle (less the few mm mentioned) the dimensions should already be stored in the CAD. Talking with one of the kit manufacturers recently, they had considered a body conversion but dismissed the project as it is highly likely Hornby will beat them to it.

It may not be in the 2011 list, especially when considering the production issues with the Castle on which it would be based, but I cannot believe that this has not been considered for the not too distant future.

Time will tell

MW

SR Maunsell 2-car push pull set.

SR Maunsell '3P' 3-car set.

LMS push pull set.

LMS 2P 4-4-0 (loco drive).

LNER Peppercorn K1 2-6-0.

GWR auto- fitted Pannier Tank.

GWR Hawksworth Auto coach.

Hornby doing something shocking? How about a 4mm scale ICE? In DB or Eurostar livery!?!

I suspect you might be onto something there.... High profile, fast sleek, interesting, ticks enough boxes in the marketing sector, but I suppose it will depend on when we see the DB/Eurostar first emerge on regular services!

m0rris

As GWR 175 was a bit low-key perhaps Hornby wil make up for it by using some existing tooling for a quick win - using the Castle tooling as the basis for a quick Star. With their range of tenders they can cover the last three survivors of the class in BR livery too.

<redacted>

While the GWR 'Castle' still has at least two years mileage left in it, I cannot see Hornby introducing a distraction such as a revamped 'King' or a revamped Hawksworth 'County'. However, a 'Star' might be possible (on the Castle chassis) if done for the NRM. Bearing in mind the LNER B17 has yet to appear, I don't suppose this railway will see much else.....I'm not going to even mention coaches!

I agree with Coachmann regarding the GWR Star

The Star is a logical prediction from a manufacturing point of view.

The chassis is the same as the new castle less a few mm at the rear. A recent Castle I saw dismantled appear to have a section of the rear frames as part of the body mouldings. Unless I was seeing things this indicates Hornby have already considered the Star when tooling for the Castle.

Tenders, both 3,500 (from 28XX) and 4000 gallon (from Castle) already tooled and in production.

With a NRM loco in existence, marketing wise it can be included in the NRM range.

There's clearly lot's of speculation around a Star and all very logical too. It's been at the top of my list for a while. But since we haven't even seen a pre-nationalization Castle yet (No. 5011 Tintagel Castle is now due in March), I imagine that a Star in 2011 would be considered a sales distraction, much along the same lines as a King.

As for NRM models, yes, No. 4003 Lode Star would be fantastic, but seeing as they already have the Castle tooling, wouldn't No. 4073 Caerphily Castle be more logical as an NRM model in 2011?

As much as I'd dearly love a Star, I'd be happy enough with some GWR liveried (as opposed to BR(WR) Castles first). This seems more likely to me. Now if they want to do both, I'd be delighted, but that seems too much to expect.

I don't know what percentage of the model railway market has membership of this forum but it does seem to be a coincidence that the models spoken about in recent years have actually been taken on board by the big plastic RTR manufacturers. With this in mind, it might also be a double-edged sword. I mean, in the light of critisism of the price of Hornby's LMS Stanier coaches in relation to the price of Maunsell coaches, could anyone realistically expect Hornby to be considering tooling up to produce a Stanier 60ft corridor composite? Personally, I think such a model would be snapped up and would reinvigorate the sales of the other Stanier coaches, but thats only one mans opinion.

Any ideas/Speculation on current models in new liveries?

Ala 153? Which ill admit im hoping that more of the Wales & West / Wessex Trains / First Great Western Local Lines liverys produced - Heart Of Wessex for instance...

And the Mk3 RFM / Sleepers In FGWs Night Rivera livery...

As for new models, a newer tooled 59 & 73 maybe? Perhaps Hornby may consider producing a CIG too?

Could, after Bachmann & Murphy Models Modern irish models, could Hornby be bringing the Mk3s in Iarnród Éireanns Orange & Black livery?

Ah well, lets see what December the 25th brings us! Not just new models that we have on the day of course! :D

No one has mentioned a J15 yet. I want one. Its as simple as that.

I would settle for a "Claude" though.

And I would love a J21 but doubt that will happen.....

My guess would be a B12 and D16, this would give Hornby 5 East Anglian steam locos that could all appear together just about (B12, B17, D16, L1 and Brit). However my main hope would be a lot more sound locos - especially 1950's or 1980's era to suit my 2 eras.

Either way I will be happy with most of the announcements - my wallet just wont allow them all to be purchased.

Yes, I suspect theres a logic behind thinking that, and even worried at the start of the year that Hornby might be modelling the GE region, rather than somewhere else further afield rather than the southern end of the British Isles again.

Still, I think Hornby might go for something more generally allocated to the Eastern region, like a V2, or B1, especially given Hornby like engines with names, although the L1 stands out as being the hole in that line of thinking.

Id like to think that what I would hope for and like might be modelled. But will save myself from guessing so as to avoid the more likely disapointment later....

Info from the lastest British Railway Modeling chandler 2011 have pictures and item numbers.

R3012 BR class A4 462 Golden Plover in green with late crest.

R3021 BR Stanier 42613 weathered late crest.

R3022 SR Terrier 2662 Southern green.

R3048 BR intercity class 08 piccadilly 08673.

R3045 Gatwick Express class 73 Dave Berry 73202.

R4466 BR intercity mk3 sleeper coach.

R4467 BR blue van C (does this mean blue coaches ?)

R6547 Hornby 2011 tank wagon.

R9652 Skaledale Wheatsheaf Arms

R9653 Skaledale Baptist Church.

all other pictures are of 2010 items not released 4-vep & container wagon

Now we can all guest the missings gaps.

Here are my random stabs in the dark and personal wish-list items:

GWR

Star or King

Tank - I would like a 94XX but suspect they will do a much older design, if any

LMS

4-4-0, hopefully a 2P but the allure of the more glamorous Compound might appeal more to Hornby

New Princess Royal with decent chassis like the latest Coronations

SR

S15 would be nice but probably not glamorous enough for Hornby

Possibly a pre-grouping tank design that lasted into BR days

Another EMU. 4 Cor or 2 Bil would be the sensible options but a Brighton Belle would again be the glamorous choice.

LNER

J27 would be nice but too boring for Hornby

Director

Curved ball: Thompson pacific

BR Standard

Duke of Gloucester - more glamour

Diesel and Electric

Electrostar EMU

Original 4 Vep

Modernisation Plan DMU (this one very much in hope rather than expectation) eg 116 (very useful but much too boring for Hornby) or cross-country unit (also very useful and slightly less boring)

Coaching stock

Somerset & Dorset Maunsell stock in train pack with BR Standard 4MT

Stanier CK (again more in hope than expectation)

Collett-era composite diner or Stanier 12-wheel dining car

Non-corridor stock, say Gresley or Thompson, or perhaps LMS

Yet more Pullmans, possibly 1951 Golden Arrow or 1928 Cars

New SR gangwayed bogie van

More curved balls: Coronation Observation Car, Bulleid Tavern Car set.

R4467 BR blue van C

That's got my attention - did proof ever come forward that any went into blue? It seemed to be quite an area for discussion when the Van C was released and I can't recall if anything solid came forward. Might have to fire an email off to Hornby B)

My sources tell me a Piffle and Bungle Light Railway (P&BLR) badger van is on the cards but the mustard is saying something else...

Pix

Info from the lastest British Railway Modeling chandler 2011 have pictures and item numbers.

R3048 BR intercity class 08 piccadilly 08673.

R3045 Gatwick Express class 73 Dave Berry 73202.

So that quite possibly kills the idea of a retooled 73 already?! ...

Wonder if theyll be releasing the 73 in fGBRF, Gatwick Express Intercity & BR Blue too then?

And maybe the 08 In FGW Blue? But an 08 inIntercity - Might Consider that then...

Archived