Hornby 2011

dibber25

• RMweb Gold

Prediction 1

99.7% of predictions made will turn out to be false.

Prediction 2

Someone in the know will say

Had a very interesting day with Hornby yesterday - lots of excitement to come!

And then I will find it all very underwhelming when the announcement comes through. ;)

Prediction 3

Within 30 seconds of the news announcement someone will moan that something has not been announced.

Prediction 4

Within 30 seconds of the news announcement someone will moan why has something being announced.

Prediction 5

Someone will moan that prices are going up again.

Prediction 6

The only prediction guaranteed to be 100% correct is that we will do it all again this time next year for 2012. :P

"Reevesthecat" requesting clues has just made me re-read Mr Leighs original post. It includes a reference to Elvis taking you back to the 1950s. "The Black Hat" drew my attention to that part of the post. Is Chris trying (not) to tell us something?

Maybe Hornby have got a KING up their sleves, and a BR Blue one (1950's) at that (6023)???? Good year for it.

Or am I just reading faaaaaaar too much into that comment. Suprised no one else picked up on it...!

I'd also like to mention a Gresley N2, altough I can't really see a new medium size LNER loco following the L1 so quickly (but the same logic works for the King). Funny as an N2 would also echo his "Hornby Dublo" comment (I believe they produced one... but they also produced lots of other things).

So, putting two and two together and making 5 +/-4, We've got a King, possibly 50's, and a re-release of a Hornby Dublo favourite.

How am I doing?

"Reevesthecat" requesting clues has just made me re-read Mr Leighs original post. It includes a reference to Elvis taking you back to the 1950s. "The Black Hat" drew my attention to that part of the post. Is Chris trying (not) to tell us something?

I think it's a Skaledale chip shopbiggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

My commentary in blue from the thread quoted ...

NRM Range - Caerphilly Castle

Very plausible, This just makes sense.

I think a 'special 'Castle' is more likely from Swindon than the NRM as the marketeers in Wiltshire are considering a further loco release so I understand (and they would be happy to hear suggestions - but I don't think their finances stretch to new tooling judging by a chat with them at the 'Steam' show this year).

My Prediction No.4 still lurks up my sleeve but don't forget I did mention ' a shock' ...wink.gif

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget in your predictions there will also be the 'comedy' items. Something will appear that had been long forgotten about (usally ex Lima with quite frankly crap tooling cueing 'why on earth did they bring that thing back' type posts) plus some bizarre livery usually on one of their 0-4-0 models. Remember the fun and laughter that greeted the Blue Pullman Class 06 the other year?!?

MREMag will be full of complaints about the cost of the new catalogue as per usual.

On the model front, I expect to see a blue/grey VEP added to the forthcoming line up with a retailer announcing that they are doing the 4-VEG Gatwick version as a special commission, meanwhile my money is on an all new Class 73 as I have held off buying any for a year as I just got that feeling. The 59 is an outside bet as well...

Mind you on that basis, Hornby or Bachmann are guaranteed to announce air con Mk 2's as I just finish my repainted Airfix/Mainline rake!!!

I think a 'special 'Castle' is more likely from Swindon than the NRM as the marketeers in Wiltshire are considering a further loco release so I understand (and they would be happy to hear suggestions - but I don't think their finances stretch to new tooling judging by a chat with them at the 'Steam' show this year).

My Prediction No.4 still lurks up my sleeve but don't forget I did mention ' a shock' ...wink.gif

Mike,

The "NRM" model that we referred to is not those offered for sale directly by the NRM, like the Prototype Deltic or City of Truro, but those in Hornby's regular catalogue that have a designation as representing locomotives that happen to be preserved by the NRM. No. 2818 was their example from the 2010 catalogue.

Based on the reviews you did of the existing Castle models which (excepting No. 5011 Tintagel Castle) were centered around the later Castles (late 1930s - 1950s), how much of the tooling would have to change to support a very early 1923-1924 Castle, like popular preserved numbers: No. 4073 Caerphily Castle or No. 4079 Pendennis Castle? Do you think these are in scope for Swindon? They are much more to my personal interest than the later Castles.

Your 'shock' remains too much of a riddle for me. I'll just have to wait and see.

Shock as in electrical ..... AC or DC :D

You might well be right - I couldn't possibly commentmellow.gif

I'd be 'shocked' to see something like a 3-SUB in Maunsell green. (I think the 5-BEL is a more likely early EMU.)

On the subject of multiple units, I'd be delighted by a GWR steam railmotor and trailer. I think that would be very surprising.

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

The "NRM" model that we referred to is not those offered for sale directly by the NRM, like the Prototype Deltic or City of Truro, but those in Hornby's regular catalogue that have a designation as representing locomotives that happen to be preserved by the NRM. No. 2818 was their example from the 2010 catalogue.

Based on the reviews you did of the existing Castle models which (excepting No. 5011 Tintagel Castle) were centered around the later Castles (late 1930s - 1950s), how much of the tooling would have to change to support a very early 1923-1924 Castle, like popular preserved numbers: No. 4073 Caerphily or No. 4079 Pendennis Castle? Do you think these are in scope for Swindon? They are much more to my personal interest than the later Castles.

Your 'shock' remains too much of a riddle for me. I'll just have to wait and see.

I think with the early 'Castles' it depends very much on the period they would go for as that will affect the detail situation quite considerably. On that basis 4079 would perhaps be a safer bet as it would avoid tooling a tender for 4073 (in its preserved condition, final running condition is another matter of course). I understand that 'Steam' were very specific about not only the condition in which they wanted their commission to be modelled but in making sure that it was right before release. And I get the impression from the way at least one of the marketing people was talking that they would try to be as careful if they did another loco - they seem to regard it as a sort of 'museum reputation' thing as it has their name on it.

I think - tender apart - that Hornby have most of the bits available to do an early 'Castle' or it would only be minor changes such as a tall chimney etc. The big issue for them is, I suppose meeting a specification 'Steam' might come up with at a mutually marketable price - Geoff Davies is the man to talk to at 'Steam' as he seems to have a good line to the Marketing Manager.wink.gif

If we're playing the guessing game, here goes.....

SR Maunsell 2-car push pull set.

SR Maunsell '3P' 3-car set.

LMS push pull set.

LMS 2P 4-4-0 (loco drive).

LNER Peppercorn K1 2-6-0.

GWR auto- fitted Pannier Tank.

GWR Hawksworth Auto coach.

GWR 'Star' (NRM Special).

Oh no....I have become part of the froth.......must resist.......must not give in to the darkside.......:lol:

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side... Search your feelings... The dark side is strong in you. You know it to be true!

Join us. Cross the Firth of Froth...

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the collective.

Gresley P2, J27, J50, and a retooled King for the Western Fans.

Those are my predictions. Are they ones I would like? All except the King, perhaps, but I would not begrudge Western Region modellers if I got a P2.

A flangeless cartazzi, and enough side play in the rear drivers, and I reckon a P2 would be doable. 6 names, 3 forms, all apple green, and have that "X Factor".

Here's hoping!

Guest Max Stafford

What?! Elvis was at the Hornby Centre? if word got out about his liking model trains imagine the sales figures on how many Elvis train sets there would be. No doubt faulty ones would have to be Returned to Sender?

Bet people get all shook up about this....

I'll stop now....

They were going to do the promotion at my place, but I told them there ain't room around here for a guitar man...

coat got, gone...!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I was watching Simon Kohler's interview on ModelRailway.tv which was done sometimes last year and he talked about future DCC possibilities and he talked about the electric loco with working pantographs and sound and also the coaches with opening and slamming doors and guards whistle made by ROCO, which he didn't mention. I wonder whether we might see similar this on Hornby coaches sometime in the future.

Peter

Prediction;

I will get very over excited about the entire process and end up making many wild stabs in the dark referring to obscure GWR locos/stock.

Certainty;

I will eventually remind myself that I am a student, I am unable to afford anything and I have switched to continental n gauge.

Oh... and for Hornby's 2011 line-up, I think it will be a firefly class, trogan and an outside framed pannier :lol:.

m0rris

Archived