Farish class 25s

Stoker

• RMweb Premium

If I was a betting man, I lay good money on the bells and whistles 24 morphing into a 25/1 and 25/3 in the not too distant future. No doubt just as all the above projects are being finished off. ;)

Pix

Hi

I'm hoping so as I want a 25/1.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just for clarification, I had to have this run by me a few times when I started out:

to start withIgnore the TOPS numbers!

Class 24/0's always are disc headcode, or were when they were built in any case

Class 24/1's can have disc or headcode box

Class 25/0's have the same body type as a class 24 that has headcode boxes

Class 25/1's can be of either the earlier type of 25 body (with grilles) or the later type (with the neater flush sides) so can 25/2's

only 25/3's are exclusively the later (flush) body type, and just to confuse things further bits of other types of loco could end up on crash repaired (particularly 25/0 but there will be other) locos

Derby Sulzers website is a good place to look at the various varients and detail differences and generally useful info about the classes- its a minefield! You can get good pics of individual locos tho'

I think millerhill boys class 25 is a big improvement (especially the liquid glazing, fancy telling us how?), but I do hope in time they will re-do- the 24 is basically a scaled down OO one, good chance then they might do the others

Oh that it was that simple.

Right from build date there are far more variations (axle boxes, roof detail, grille design and numbers, tablet catchers) and this gets worse with time.

If you are modelling a 24 or a 25, get some photos of the exact loco and period. Pay particular attention to

- roof layout

- presence or absence of

- - steps on the body side, or smooth or plated

- - roof level fillers

- - grille or plated or one of two designs of partially plated boiler grilles

- - token catcher

- - bars across the main grilles

- headcode boxes, and type for *both* ends - they vary from an old class 27 box at one end of a 24, to 25's with differing ends !

- door/strips plated over/removed nose doors

- position of indicator discs, Glasgow in particular moved them to the middle of the nose on the 24's they refurbed, I guess out of a sense of aesthetics but that makes it a pain to model !

- axle boxes on early 24s

- number of body side grilles on 24/0 and some 25s - it varies !

- hinges on class 25 body side grilles

- fuel tank (about 10 variants)

- different small panels on the bodyside of the 25 I believe for battery access

- snowploughs

- vacuum pipe (steam style) on front - ex Tyne Dock locos

- different pipework on nose for air/vac brake

- 24 valence variants

Oh and the Farish 24 roof is wrong - the middle roof panel should the same width as the end ones - move with microstrip (plus other details), while the Farish 25/3 has some glaring but quite fixable errors in that the cab side doors are not recessed.

Thankfully modelling in N some of these details are conveniently invisible but I feel for 7mm modellers 8)

Alan

• RMweb Gold
Thankfully modelling in N some of these details are conveniently invisible but I feel for 7mm modellers 8)

absolutely

Oh that it was that simple.
indeed, was just offering logic of basic body shape as had noted a couple of things in the thread, in that sub classes were based around TOPS numbers, It was with 47s but not with 25s!

• 2 months later...

So essentially, a grafar 24 could be bashed into a 25/1 simply by adding headcode boxes, and making a few very minor body modifications, to the roof and valances etc.? How would one go about modifying the fuel tanks?

To make a 25/1 from the 24 you mainly need to

- Add headcode boxes (and horns each side)

- Cut out the cab door and inset it a bit

- Make some small tweaks to the roof (you need to fix the middle of the roof even if its a 24 )

- Remove any valencing and tweak as needed (I would start from the blue one so it has no valence!)

- Make a new tank side out of plasticard or similar

- Check photos but I think in all cases fill the tiny grille above the doors

A 25/0 is a bit closer to a 24 and 25001-025 had I believe the same doors and headcode as a late 24 so are a bit easier to model

There are lots of other tiny detail differences but they are not going to be noticed by anyone who isn't a 25 fanatic except right up close (things like whether the grilles are hinged or not)

Oh and the Farish 24 roof is wrong - the middle roof panel should the same width as the end ones - move with microstrip (plus other details),

That's a carry over from the Bachmann model in four mil'; the rainstrip is in the perfect place for a 25/3 though! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

So essentially, a grafar 24 could be bashed into a 25/1 simply by adding headcode boxes, and making a few very minor body modifications, to the roof and valances etc.? How would one go about modifying the fuel tanks?

If you are going to do it Scott, do you mind running a blog/topic to track it?

I am very interested to do one myself...have been putting it off for years...a bit like Farish and their revamped 25 :lol:

If you are going to do it Scott, do you mind running a blog/topic to track it?

I am very interested to do one myself...have been putting it off for years...a bit like Farish and their revamped 25 :lol:

Ha! The only people who procrastinate more than the hobbyists are the manufacturers and it is very much my pet peeve. The fact that the 25 and 22 are missing from the hobby leaves an irritating traction gap for people who want to model that period around the 60s and 70s. I happen to be one of those people, and I believe that aside from the "speedlink" era, it was probably one of the more interesting periods in western region history. Yet here we are with this massive omission.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a soapbox but sometimes these things are so slap-the-forehead obvious that I'm often left utterly flabberghasted by their failure to seize opportunities. They could at least retool the western. It's not exactly like people wouldn't buy them in massive quantitites. Punters have been waving money in the manufacturer's faces requesting these things for the better part of a decade and they're probably all going to die of old age before they get so much as a whiff of the ink on their money as it's departing their wallet.

Since you've asked I've got a blog in the pipeline Pete, as I've actually now finally got off of my 'arris and made a start on a layout. So yes I will do just that. Just as soon as I build up the courage to hack up such an expensive yet small object. There's something about N gauge that feels to me like you're working with some kind of jewellery. Locomotives are semi-precious from at least a value-to-weight ratio if nothing else. :P

I'm eagerly awaiting Dapol's 22 in N, along with tiger wagons, imerys nacco wagons, and the money to purchase a 37, 47, 66, warship, and a few vacuum braked vans etc.

The fact that the 25 and 22 are missing from the hobby leaves an irritating traction gap

The 22 is on the cards to be done by Dapol and the 25 is not exactly missing; there is one available - it's just rather dated and creaky. But then so too is the class 31, 33, 50, a mass of kettles, and so on; I guess they're all just going to have to wait their turn for the update wand.

They could at least retool the western.

Farish don't need to; Dapol have already announced and claim to be working on an all new class 52 Western..........

G.

Ha! The only people who procrastinate more than the hobbyists are the manufacturers and it is very much my pet peeve. The fact that the 25 and 22 are missing from the hobby leaves an irritating traction gap for people who want to model that period around the 60s and 70s. I happen to be one of those people, and I believe that aside from the "speedlink" era, it was probably one of the more interesting periods in western region history. Yet here we are with this massive omission.

The broad gauge must be up there too!

The 25 is avilable and I've seen some lovely models made from the old Farish model.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a soapbox but sometimes these things are so slap-the-forehead obvious that I'm often left utterly flabberghasted by their failure to seize opportunities. They could at least retool the western. It's not exactly like people wouldn't buy them in massive quantitites. Punters have been waving money in the manufacturer's faces requesting these things for the better part of a decade and they're probably all going to die of old age before they get so much as a whiff of the ink on their money as it's departing their wallet.

There's loads of scope to build things yourself though if there's a gap in RTR ranges. For the 22 Worsley Works have had one in their range for some time -

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/N/n_gauge_diesel_locomotives.htm

Utterly flabberghasted you have looked at this option! ;)

For the 22 there is also the NSprays resin body although its fairly hard to find nowdays.

The Worsley Works 22 isn't bad at all, like all Allen Doherty's kits it goes together sensibly and is well thought out. It can be improved - in particularly by replacing the roof grille with a decent fine one and optionally overlaying the bodyside grilles with fine etched ones to bring out the depth but thats finer detailing stuff.

• 10 months later...

In light of the new announcements I have just visited the BachFar web site. I was really pleased to see that A BR Blue Class 25 is scheduled for a future release (371-080 class 25/3 25279) - I then looked at the accompanying picture and noticed that it was the old Poole era body, and that the suggested RRP was £94.05, which seems excessive when the new 37/4's will retail for a pound or so more.

Are Farish planning to release an updated and improved version of the 25 or will it just be a re-release of the old 25? I would dearly love an improved version, and I could certainly understand the price if this was the case.

Linners

• RMweb Premium

In light of the new announcements I have just visited the BachFar web site. I was really pleased to see that A BR Blue Class 25 is scheduled for a future release (371-080 class 25/3 25279) - I then looked at the accompanying picture and noticed that it was the old Poole era body, and that the suggested RRP was £94.05, which seems excessive when the new 37/4's will retail for a pound or so more.

Are Farish planning to release an updated and improved version of the 25 or will it just be a re-release of the old 25? I would dearly love an improved version, and I could certainly understand the price if this was the case.

Linners

Hi

Sadly I think it will be the old design as they would have made more noise if it was brand new.

Cheers

Paul

• 4 months later...

Having just visited the MreMag news section, BachFar have announced that both the BR Blue and two tone green Class 25 diesels have departed China and are headed to the UK. Again, I can't believe that they would produce the old Poole era 25 with a china chassis with a £94 price tag, especially with Dapol stealing a march on BachFar in regards to the class 33 and 50 diesels and the Pannier tanks.

Also noticed that in the same consignment are lots of wagon releases, including the JPA's and the FNA nuclear flask wagons!

• RMweb Premium

Having just visited the MreMag news section, BachFar have announced that both the BR Blue and two tone green Class 25 diesels have departed China and are headed to the UK. Again, I can't believe that they would produce the old Poole era 25 with a china chassis with a £94 price tag,

People are still buying them as there is not an alternative, unfortunately.

I mentioned in the Dapol Thread that Farish must fight back with a retooled class 25 & class 40 before Dapol "pinch" another one of their products and im not slagging Dapol here!

The 25 really must only be a matter of time, but I'd put money on the 40 appearing in next year's line up for Farish given they are tooling up a new body in 00 at the moment.

Yes lets hope that the 25 is not too far away and i too have high hopes for the class 40 next year with the 3 different nose types being done by Farish.I am sure like the 24 that they will design the disc headcode version with easy to fit discs unlike the Dapol 26.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think it's a safe bet that Dapol will dive in with a 25 if Farish don't announce one imminently; after all, they've got a proven Bo-Bo chassis already. By the way, does anyone know when the Farish news is due?

I think it's a safe bet that Dapol will dive in with a 25 if Farish don't announce one imminently; after all, they've got a proven Bo-Bo chassis already.

I'm not so sure about this.  Yes Dapol have a Bo-Bo chasis but so do Farish... they have the 24 which was is a fantastic model. Perhaps it's not such a big leap for Farish to get the 25/0, 25/1, 25/2 or 25/3 done.  It's just a case of priority and how much the market can stand.  I guess if they did everything 'yesterday' we'd all run of of money and the market may not be sustainable?? I'm no economics guru but that just seems like common sense to me. :dontknow:

However, if they don't get their skates on the guys doing the 3D printing will beat them to it. Reading those threads in 3D printing there is some stunning work done by people on here designing the class 25's etc in N, OO and O.

All that said, I'll be up there with everyone else when a 'sensible' 25 does appear :yes:

Cheers

Lee

Archived