Farish class 25s

Stoker

There are 25s in both blue and green still showing as in stock at the warehouse in Barwell.

Given the long lead times there seem to be these days I guess it is still possible one will be announced, and it is logical given the 24 chassis can be carried over, but I wonder if they will actually wait for stocks of the existing ones to clear first.

Roy

There are 25s in both blue and green still showing as in stock at the warehouse in Barwell.Given the long lead times there seem to be these days I guess it is still possible one will be announced, and it is logical given the 24 chassis can be carried over, but I wonder if they will actually wait for stocks of the existing ones to clear first.Roy

You'd imagine though there can't be a large demand for the old model given the quality of the 24 offering and the general across the board improvement in n gauge models. I could imagine they'd be waiting some time to clear the old stock.

The Class 25 was always my favourite Diesel loco and I would buy at least one of each the four variants in BR Green.

I've resisted buying the current model as it's not up to modern standards and I'm sure that a revamped version will eventually appear from either Farish or Dapol.

However if they did the sensible thing and slash the price of the current model then it might be too tempting...

Oh that it was that simple.

Right from build date there are far more variations (axle boxes, roof detail, grille design and numbers, tablet catchers) and this gets worse with time.

If you are modelling a 24 or a 25, get some photos of the exact loco and period. Pay particular attention to

- roof layout

- presence or absence of

- - steps on the body side, or smooth or plated

- - roof level fillers

- - grille or plated or one of two designs of partially plated boiler grilles

- - token catcher

- - bars across the main grilles

- headcode boxes, and type for *both* ends - they vary from an old class 27 box at one end of a 24, to 25's with differing ends !

- door/strips plated over/removed nose doors

- position of indicator discs, Glasgow in particular moved them to the middle of the nose on the 24's they refurbed, I guess out of a sense of aesthetics but that makes it a pain to model !

- axle boxes on early 24s

- number of body side grilles on 24/0 and some 25s - it varies !

- hinges on class 25 body side grilles

- fuel tank (about 10 variants)

- different small panels on the bodyside of the 25 I believe for battery access

- snowploughs

- vacuum pipe (steam style) on front - ex Tyne Dock locos

- different pipework on nose for air/vac brake

- 24 valence variants

Oh and the Farish 24 roof is wrong - the middle roof panel should the same width as the end ones - move with microstrip (plus other details), while the Farish 25/3 has some glaring but quite fixable errors in that the cab side doors are not recessed.

Thankfully modelling in N some of these details are conveniently invisible but I feel for 7mm modellers 8)

Alan

To me the one thing that stares out at me with the poole era 25 are the grills along the cantrail, on the model they are not cantrail grills at all. They obviously had a problem putting them there, so they pushed them up onto the main roof area instead! This must of pushed/squashed other details up there too, but those grills are not cantrail grills as the real ones were.

That sort of compromise was unacceptable even back then when first made.

Soooooh. What are the best odds:

1) Farish surprising us with a remodeled 25 based on the excellent Class 24. For me please make it a WR Class 25/1!!!

2) Dapol surprising us with an unannounced Class 25 based on their Bo-Bo chassis

Hmmm. My money is on an announcement from Farish first. Others in this post are suggesting some Farish announcements in March...

Of course if Farish don't then my advice to Dapol would be to go for it and be quick about it. After all, what is there not to like about Class 25's from a manufacturer's perspective: active on all regions except Southern, around from the 60’s through the 80’s, loads of liveries and finally, much loved...

Bring them on I say!!!

Mike

You'd imagine though there can't be a large demand for the old model given the quality of the 24 offering and the general across the board improvement in n gauge models. I could imagine they'd be waiting some time to clear the old stock.

You'd think so, but someone has been buying them.  The blue and green ones on Hatton's website show 9 and 2 in stock (I just checked), respectively, down from "More than 10 in stock" for both versions not too long ago.  Given that the much better 24 is only 3 quid more, I'm surprised.

Matt

You'd think so, but someone has been buying them.  The blue and green ones on Hatton's website show 9 and 2 in stock (I just checked), respectively, down from "More than 10 in stock" for both versions not too long ago.  Given that the much better 24 is only 3 quid more, I'm surprised.

Matt

Crazy isn't it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi I was peering through the glass in Cheltenham Models last week- lots on discount ! but the thing was i did a double take on the latest blue 25 offering. The paint and print finsh matched the 24 alongside. True the end which is old hat was hidden but side on it at 300mm viewing looked the part, until very close consideration.  Perhaps this is why they have sold.

I took look forward to a new 25/2 to replace the current variant but can see sense in all versions. But a minefield of choice!! a 24/1 also floats the ScR blue boat as well!!!

Robert      

Hmmm. My money is on an announcement from Farish first. Others in this post are suggesting some Farish announcements in March...

Of course if Farish don't then my advice to Dapol would be to go for it and be quick about it.

Mike

Dapol are still digesting their current announcements- the 22 is still to come, followed by the 33 and 52.  I would imagine they will hit the remaining NBL type 2 rather than do a class 25, but I don't have any inside knowledge .  I stand ready to be surprised by whoever..........

All the very best

Les

Of course if Farish don't then my advice to Dapol would be to go for it and be quick about it. After all, what is there not to like about Class 25's from a manufacturer's perspective: active on all regions except Southern, around from the 60’s through the 80’s, loads of liveries and finally, much loved...

I'm pretty sure I've seen photo's of blue 25/3's at Bournemouth ... so even on the Southern at a push!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I did post earlier on the other thread but I will repeat here and an email to Bachmann saying the same tomorrow, that I hope that they will not do a straight shot down of their 4mm model and correct the two most obvious errors on the 25/1. e.g side grilles flush with the bodywork, not proud as thats only for 24's and 25/0's, and the cab window angle is corrected, should be 77degrees from the horizontal on the side window.( Bachmanns 4mm model is 74deg. Note Hornbys is 77deg on their 4mm model and looks correct.There are qiute a few number of 4mm modellers who use Hornby cabs with Bachmann bodies to correct this), cheers Andy.

The underframe on a 25 is very three dimensional and this is not depicted very well at all on the current Bachmann 25. Hopefully, as previously suggested, this might be a whole new model for N gauge, which is later released in 00, like the class 101.

25/1 is near enough for the 25/0 I really want, so I'm satisfied.   I am old enough to remember that if a BR type 2 came of the line from Eaglescliffe with a number you couldn't read for the dirt it was more likely than not to be D5151, which is the loco I want to model (in its usual shade of disgusting off-grey of course).  By comparison with it our local neglected K1s and B1s looked quite clean........

I suspect that if a type 2 is weathered heavily enough and pulling a train on a roundy-roundy layout nobody will tell it isn't the right sub-class.

All the very best

Les

5151/25001 - that one actually even got the class 24 style valencing originally.

Some nice shots of its life history at

http://www.derbysulzers.com/25001.html

If my arithmetic is right D5179 to D5182 (25/1) were new to Gateshead, so these would do.     I suppose I could rebuild my class 24 to a 25/0 instead.....

All the very best

Les

Archived