MODEL RAIL SCOTLAND 2011

Mac

Hi Guys;

Can't really put it more succintly than Bill (below).....

After exhibiting at and/or visiting this event for years, this year was a shadow of former glories. I only spent a grand total of £26 and was left shaking my head at the operating problems on a majority of layouts. One of the funniest sights had to be the 'catenary' on the German/Austrian/French -ish layout behind the Model Rail stand opposite Pastimes.

The trader who had the large 2nd hand N collection got none of my money for overpricing unboxed locos, although the speculator in me nearly bought some rolling stock for onward auctioning...but in the end I didn't bother.

Will now go for a cup of tea in my new mug though!!!

Other aspects of the weekend, Caley Sleeper north, Irish Bar, Take -away chips and TPE/XC journeys south were fine!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

http://stusphotos.fotopic.net

Hi,

Sadly I have to agree with some of the comments made about the 'Premier Show in Scotland' ModelRail- I attended on the Friday my usual is to visit the trade stands and then spend time viewing the layouts. There are certainly no bargains to be found that's properly down to the high cost to the trader for his 3-4 days at the SECC. The layouts last year were below standard - this year they were even worse. Don't get me wrong there were a handful of really good layouts but others were poor in quality and 'badly' operated. The layout from Aberdeen was unfinished-unatractive- and simply should not have been there!

You may recall Pete Waterman (sorry Sir!) wrote a piece some time back with his thoughts on where and how model railway shows are going and sad to say he is right!

If we want to encourage newcomers into the hobby-especially the younger generation we need to present the show with the right ingredients.

I appreciate that the organization is predominately 'voluntary' but please do not use that as an excuse!

I have watched this event grow over the years as it has climbed the charts in popularity but sad to say the skids are definately apparent and that cracks are beginning to appear.

For what it's worth George Woodcock (Georgmas Junction) had plenty time to chat to those enquiring about his layout as did some others I spoke to!

Will be interesting to hear more feed back on what was once an excellent event. :(

:( Bill.

Like most large Model Railway shows these days, they attract all and sundry (including those with personal hygiene problems I suppose a bit life itself)& you'll always get a Jobsworth. The exhibitors however cannot allow for the demolition brigade unfortunately something you just got to bear. The layouts I watched were all very good (when you could get near enough to see them). This is the first time I've been back to SECC for 6 years & unfortunatley I wno't be back again for a while. I will however still be going to the Perth exhibition which I believe is now the best exhibition in Scotland & has been for a few years now

Well, despite all the negative comments,99.9% of the customers we have spoken to have enjoyed themselves.

No bargains around, well you only had to ask!!!! And you would have got.

VI trains 37's and 47's on Modelzone stand for £39.99 and quite a few others around as well.

We are now in the middle of our 3rd day here exhibiting and still having fun.

Already making plans to return next year.

Like most large Model Railway shows these days, they attract all and sundry (including those with personal hygiene problems I suppose a bit life itself)& you'll always get a Jobsworth. The exhibitors however cannot allow for the demolition brigade unfortunately something you just got to bear. The layouts I watched were all very good (when you could get near enough to see them). This is the first time I've been back to SECC for 6 years & unfortunatley I wno't be back again for a while. I will however still be going to the Perth exhibition which I believe is now the best exhibition in Scotland & has been for a few years now

Pits.

I think you're right about Perth now being the best show in Scotland.

Do you happen to know which day is the quietest to visit?

Mac.

I travelled up yesterday with a group from the North East yesterday. I'm sorry to say we all returned home disapointed. There were a few really good layouts, but a number that were not up to the standard of an event of this size and cost to attend! It really looked as though they were simply filling up the space with anything that could be found. I hope I'm not setting the bar high compairing to Doncaster 2011 but it was way below the standard there.

The trade was very expensive top prices and some above RRP! To top I have bought a duff Standard 3! There was no competition between the traders in terms of value or bargins. For the O gauge members of our party there was nothing really in terms of trade, one real stall of note. The big O gauge loop was disappointing. After standing 10 minutes no trains I gave up.

We have, as a group attended this event for the last 5 years and seen the drop in standard mentioned by so many others here. I do hope they review, take the comments on board and put the show back on track. In the past we have all enjoyed our trip to Glasgow and hope to again in the future. We will however, give next year a miss and hope for better feedback here on the next event.

Good luck with next year!

John

I don't get to many exhibitions and really just try one big one a year as well as my local two or three - not least because my lovely lady comes with me to the big ones on an away day and thinks one a year is just fine :blink:.

Anyway, this year it was Scotland and she was - temporarily - in a wheelchair. The SECC Medical staff lent us a fabulous wheelchair for nothing - not even a deposit - and the show was easily navigable despite the crowds and we had no great trouble getting 'trackside' on most layouts. Sadly, the only one with full support for the disabled was the Dutch one with it's own railings. Not only did these incorporate children's benches they also allowed wheelchair users to poke their wheelchairs through for a comfortable view right up at the railing (which also allows wheelchair users to take up less space than being side on). One or two layouts were simply not available to disabled viewers but worse than these were the occasional 'Model Rail Scotland' banners positioned perfectly to block wheelchair users' sight through the standard barriers. Easily avoidable chaps - surely everyone knew where they were?!

Everyone was lovely to my wife though and as always she found enough to enjoy herself for a couple of hours and then let me park her up and go off on my own for a couple more. This let me travel around the sales stalls and noting the comments on this thread, I feel I should say that having many of the trading stands available for browsing in one place is a big thing, even if bargains are thin on the ground. I'm not sure what the traders feel about it financially, but a show like this is really the only time I view the huge ranges of people like Langley, Shawplan, Alan Gibson, Eileen's Emporium etc up close and so it is their shop window and even if they don't get a sale on the spot they'll get a sale at some stage. I was also very taken with the Gaugemaster stand, as a visit to their shop is most unlikely as it istoo far away but I would probably agree that most of the mainstream traders need to find a way to be competitive - or at least price stock to match their shop pricing.

Still, next year off to York for the anniversary show B)

• RMweb Premium

I think it all depends on the mood you are in when you go. I've been attending Model Rail Scotland every year since 1973 and like everything else there are good ones and bad ones. I attended on Friday and was quite disappointed. I thought the standard of operation was really very bad . The traders didn't seem to have anything that looked like good value. Was so disappointed was really considering whether I should go on the Saturday (I usually spend a couple of days there). I'm glad I did , because some how the Saturday seemed much more relaxing and I think some of the glitches on the layouts had been resolved by then.

With regards entry/doormen,on the Friday I arrived about 11.20. There was quite a queue to get in, but it was no more than 10 mins and handled very efficiently.There were lots of stewards , so you had no problem finding where to go. They were also selling programmes in the queue so you could have a browse before you got in. On the Saturday my arrival was 11.30 with no queue at all. So top marks for organisation there. I took the train both days. Interestingly the cost of my ticket was the same as if I were going to Glasgow Central, so from my point of view the journey was essentially free. I know from the past what the car parking is like and how expensive it is. Taking the train is really the best bet. On the way out the stewards only concern was making sure anyone that wanted back in was stamped.

As to the layouts. The dutch layout and one or two others were Premier league and the rest were struggling between divisions 1 and 2. The dutch layout operated well both days I was there. Very interesting operation with HO and HOe. Also lots of little details like the ploughing machine and the pile driver . In addition the dutch also had steps for small children to climb up to see and had an A4 sheet giving full details. 10/10

Also premier league:Thurston. Great scenery , well operated layout, interesting and prototypical trains. Freight trains arriving off the mainline being shunted while expresses thunder by , good stuff!

Morpeth. n gauge back to the days of Deltics and 13 coach expresses with the correct catering cars. Great

Loch Oran: Some spectacular scenery with the village being particularly nice. Shades of Crianlarich and Arrochar & Tarbert, just a bit limited operationally.

Casle Toward British HO. I think my main thoughts on this one are: why? If OO offends the eye I could understand why someone would want HO. But the trains being run were early 70s Lima. 4Fs and 33s with mk1 and 2 coaches. A Playcraft 21 was also there. Hardly finescale stuff. OK there were some Rivarossi Royal Scots , but they were really out of keeping with their surroundings. And if everything was 3.5mm how come the airfield in the middle of the layout had 4mm planes on it. The only pleasing item on it were the buses (again 4mm scale). Neither is it the first time this model has appeared. I think its time for this one to be pensioned off

Irgarten was the French/German/Swiss layout. Again has appeared on a number of occasions. Probably the best I could say is its looking a bit worn

Kirkhill Central from Ruthergen MRC shows some potential but it was being run in a most uninspiring way. It had 2 through lines and really quite impressive terminal platforms either side. Ideal for a nice intensive suburban service with loco changes etc. Instead all we got was 4 trains round running left to right and 4 trains right to left . What was he point of the huge marshalling sidings behind the station. Never saw them being shunted.

Stirling and Clackmannan MRC had an O gauge layout. Clearly things were running because stock had moved about the 3 or 4 times I passed by but nothing was running everytime I appeared. They were all having a good chit chat though.

Aberdeen large O gauge container layout. Never saw it running!

Some missing traders this year like Tower Models ,D&F. Priced out the game? If so thats unfortunate!

Have to agree that on this basis the Perth show is definitely closing the ground to be regarded as Scotland premier Model Railway show. But overall the experience was enjoyable. As to BO, never noticed any . Aaaargh! Does that mean its me. Must change me simmit for next year!

I've just spoken to Chris, heading Southbound, and he was told that Friday/Saturday, there were more people through the door than ever before, which accounts for people saying it was too busy. This was possibly due to people not getting there in the atrocious weather last year. All the trade stands seemed to be well patronised, and as Morphaniel said, it is their "shop window" - and is my only real chance to see before I buy, living here in the Far North. I bought some items, and will certainly, having had the opportunity to see/handle some others, be placing orders as the year goes on. Next trip out - roll on Perth.

Guest Max Stafford

Phil.

It wasn't the guys like you Tony was on about. it's only natural you're going to sweat a bit when you're grafting on stands in a hot hall.

The ones we were on about were hard-core sheepdip jobs!

Some individuals I encountered on Friday would give the 'Jaikies' under Glasgow a Central a run for their money, stench-wise.

Amazingly, one of them was talking to Dave Franks at his stand for a while and was quite intelligent and articulate - which didn't prevent me from being forced to stand up wind whilst I awaited my own audience with 'the master'! :wacko:

That said, I always enjoy the social aspect of the show and there are more than a few 'same time next year' encounters in my Glasgow show diaries.

Fewer traders than in the past probably but most of my purchases were books from the 'Company Societies' and my habitual raids of the Gibson and Parkside stands so I didn't really pay much attention to the RTR stands.

What layouts caught my eye were decent although meeting so many friendly faces proved a constant distraction of the nicest kind. It was also, as I may have previously stated in an earlier post, nice to be able to speak to experienced modellers from the attendant groups and exchange ideas.

I was lucky not to encounter any 'Rudolph Huckers', but if I had they'd have caught the sharp end of my tongue! ;)

Dave.

Just got back from Glasgow and I must have been to a different place? It was my first time and I have to say good venue, helpful marshalls, not bad trade although I agree with the comments on high prices and the layouts were in general running with little problems and a good range of them to. I would say that there were a couple of the larger ones which I personally felt let the side down a bit.

The one point I would raise is the poor catering failities inside and outside the hall.

As for crowds I picked the right day I arrived at 10:45 and never had any problem seeing the layouts.

Final summary not a bad show with room to have a few improvements, well done to all who helped run the show, exhibitors and traders, a good day out.

Nik

Hi all - I visited the show on Saturday and thought that the general standard of layouts was good, although for me there was nothing with the "wow" factor. I was more organised this year and took the train from Hairmyers to Exhibition Centre (£3.70) instead of driving (£5 parking) - no contest, and took a snack with me, SECC has always been overpriced for food and beverages. I thought that the traders were poor as noted in previous posts, no D&F for example, and too many stands selling overpriced videos. I did get a copy of George O'Haras new book for £22.50 against £25 RRP at one stand. I was a bit sorry that I couldn't pick up a coulple of smaller things I was looking for but what the heck. I paid a the door as when I tried to book in advance the ticket was £8 plus £1 booking fee, so I thought that it would be better that the AMRSS got the cash instead of the SECC, I remember attending some organising committee meetings when I was a member of Cumbernauld MRC back in the early 1990s and even back then it was a stunning £17,000 to book the hall, pity the McLellan Galleries was not available, as I think that a change of venue would be a good idea.

Still I will probably be back next year

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I have been reading all the comments that have been put and to be honest, i'm seening the same ones that are put about most shows.

I visited yesterday and thought it was good. Some very nice layouts and some 'other' layouts but for all those complaning about it, can you please name one show that has a high standard of layouts that tick all the right boxes. Can't be done i'm afraid.

Operationaly some layouts where very poor and i know under 5's that could run them better BUT thats my opinion.

Trade wise, well same as most shows, but again i thought it was good as i got all the bits i wanted but no 20tho Bar file. Did find it strange to have to tell the biggest tool supplier in the hobby what one was though. If you didn't get the bits you where after then it would be poor.

Would i go again, yes i would as the atmosphere great and freindly and it was a chance to catch up with friends and support the organisiers.

cheers

Simon

Just a last couple of comments/ observations

1. D&F models have a message on there Facebook page saying `oops they don`t have a stand this year` ! ? Very much missed.

2. What happened to the concession price for over 60's and £6 for the car park.

3. I would have had another £90 to spend if I hadn`t paid £95 for the Model Rail DRS 47501 which they were selling for £50 and the modelzone 09019 which I paid £65 on sale for £39.99. No wonder I was in a bad mood on the day.

As others are saying, roll on Perth.

Just a short note to say that most layout exhibitors including ourselves suffered from poor running on Friday morning. Mainly due to the fact that most of us set up at about 3 degrees centigrade on Thursday afternoon/evening and arrived at the hall on Friday to about 30 degrees ( it was like a sauna)

Hi John,

No different from last year then........! It was several-layer weather outside last year and t-shirt weather inside and still a case of sweating like the proverbial pig!

Such a shame really, but that's the downside of using a huge exhibition hall.

Cheers,

All,

Having been attending Model Rail in the late 60s(with my mum), early 70s(on my own), early 80s as club operator/helper/steward, and more occasionally through the 90s and 00s it is true that some years seem better than others, but so what, different strokes etc.

I was there on Sunday afternoon for 4 hours and thought there were still too many traders, book sellers, society stands etc, but I've always thought that... having said that I did buy a book, The Cathcart Circle, by Jack Kernahan.

The layouts that tickled my fancy were Emsland-Moortrack which was truly stunning, Craigellachie, and Kilbrandon, the G&SW S scale model, lovely. Funnily enough the 2 layouts from the magazines that I was looking forward to seeing disappointed, Colinton and Georgmass Junction, but I can't really say why, perhaps the large hall/big crowd setting stops you/me enjoying the detail on smaller layouts?

As for traders charging RRP, was that agreed between traders or by AMRSS? I suppose it is up for debate whether the traders make more selling at RRP on limited sales or selling more on smaller margins? I do remember taking my nephew a few years ago and him complaining how expensive everything was.

The layout that most inspired me in 40ish years of Model Rail? The O gauge HR era Kyle of Lochalsh in the early years that had me heading home to re arrange my 6x4 Triang super4 set up into something Kyle ish, albeit with a continuous run.... Which, of course, is the point. Inspiring and encouraging young and old to grow and develop in the hobby.

a encouraged and inspired,

Angus

Guest jim s-w

can you please name one show that has a high standard of layouts that tick all the right boxes. Can't be done i'm afraid.

Yes, railex. Year after year. It can be done. I must say I haven't seen such a negative reaction to a show for quite a few years. Plenty of feedback though so 2012 should be better. By the sound of it it has to be!

Cheers

Jim

Pits.

I think you're right about Perth now being the best show in Scotland.

Do you happen to know which day is the quietest to visit?

I was thinking about getting a hotel on Saturday and making a weekend of it,

since the town is such an interesting place.

Mac.

in my opinion the best times are to go early on the Sunday morning (if Saturday night's quaffing allows!!) or if you don't have far to travel after the show, late on the Sunday afternoon

Dear All,

Attended on sat and had a great afternoon.

Over-priced carparking? Is £6 really over priced? Needing to make a quick getaway to pick up junior I decided this year to park the car ( I normally take the train). Plenty of spaces and a short 2min walk into the hall. Not a bus journey like the NEC!

Catering - this has always been overpriced at the SECC as it is at similar venues like the NEC and such. This is completely outwith the responsibility of the show organisers. I am sure the organsiers would love to run a buffet like many smaller shows but the SECC rules simply dont' allow it.

Some great layouts as others have noted particularly the dutch one, Wansbeck Road, The S-scale irish broad guage and the Irish narrow guage one.

Can't comment on the traders as I wasn't there to buy.

As for a change of venue to the McLellan Galleries I think anyone who attended the shows here harbours fond memories of the shows and the hall. Sadly the refurbished hall is severeley compromised in terms of fire regulations governing numbers of visitors. I attended one very popular non-railway exhibition in the refurbished hall where the large queues along Sauchiehall Street resulted from the max. number of permmissable visitors already being in the hall and the stewards having to operate a one out, one in policy! Add that to the lack of parking and who can forget trying to load a layout into a transit out the back doors of the old hall! As I said fond memories but maybe not practical nowadays?

Already looking forward to next year.

Regards,

Stewart Glendinning

"in my opinion the best times are to go early on the Sunday morning (if Saturday night's quaffing allows!!) or if you don't have far to travel after the show, late on the Sunday afternoon"

Pits. Thanks for the info'

Sunday sounds the best day.

I think I'll give the Glasgow Show a miss next year and save my money to

go down to York for the Easter weekend.

Mac.

Well we went on the Friday and have to say we both enjoyed it. I don't buy - partner does that - but I enjoy looking at the layouts, having a look at trade stands and seeing what's on sale and what is new etc., and generally catching up with friends and having a friendly chat with all and sundry.

The usual rude people, who either stood on toes, pushed you out of the way or hit you in the face with haversacks (the size of some of the haversacks this year were big enough to take your clothes on holiday for two weeks) and not one person knew the word "sorry" - and I hate to say it most of the culprits were the older generation. And they say the younger generation are rude!

For me - I thought it was a good show - OK a few hitches and glitches - but what show doesn't have them.

Thanks should be given to all the traders and exhibitors for attending the show for three days (and who surely must have the patience of saints - me thinks - when dealing with some of the members of the public) and also not forgetting the organisers - takes a lot to put on a show and think that these people are often the forgotten ones.

I agree with an earlier poster - no-one is ever going to produce a model railway exhibition that pleases everyone - bloomin miracle if that ever happens.

But why can't people concentrate on the good bits for a change instead of the bad bits! We're becoming a nation of moaners!

Me - one happy bunny who had a thoroughly enjoyable day - and if there were any problems - they couldn't have been that major because I normally don't miss a trick!

Archived