MODEL RAIL SCOTLAND 2011

Mac

I went to the SECC on Saturday and came away both happy and disappointed. I enjoyed seeing some of the layouts - others were not so good. I enjoyed seeing friends old and new. I was disappointed at the trade support, but given the prevailing economic conditions, I'm not surprised.

On the layout quality issue - first, the AMRSS policies have been well-stated above. If those of us who are modellers really think we can do better, then it's time to put our money where our mouths are. We need to build models and then offer them to shows. Of course, many of us will not actually produce anything of higher quality than the layouts that were on show.

I didn't get many pictures, and I've not had chance to look at them myself, but if I have any worthy of display I will put them on here.

to add a different perspective to the show comments, I am a member of a small club - Glasgow and West Of Scotland MRC - and we have around 12 members of mixed age and skill. The clubroom we have is small and therefore we are limited to what we can build. We have a 00 gauge layout which is part stored in the clubroom and part in someones store of their flat and we are constructing a new N gauge layout. Given this we are clearly unable too build the tailchasers that children love to see.

to ensure layouts are not seen year after year at MR, AMRSS quite correctly (IMHO) state that no layout can be shown for 3 years after any attendance at Model Rail. Clearly as we only have 2 club layouts, this presents a problem and as attendance at Model Rail gives us some valuable income we will rely on club members own layouts to fill the gaps. This year we used my own St Ann's Depot http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/19203-st-anns-depot/ and another members N gauge to ensure we were represented. As it happens my own layout was seen by the Model Rail Scotland Exhibition Manager at the East Kilbride show last year therefore the standard (or otherwise of it) was known before it went to the SECC. I appreciate this review or vetting of every layout will not be able to take place for very obvious reasons.

the Exibition Manager has an unenviable job to keep the AMRSS members happy by allowing them too have layouts present while also trying to bring in layouts from outwith Scotland to allow a good mix to cater for all interests.

the SECC has many faults but there may not be that many other suitable venues for the size of show.

all of us who exhibit are not all of the same standard as some of the top class modellers that we see and read about but that does not dimish our effort to try and get it right and while I fully acknowledge that my Depot Layout is not everyones cup of tea - particularly childrens - I think it was reasonably well received and I was asked numerous questions over the 3 days about it to let me think that some people were happy with it.

we will all strife to be better and make Model Rail Scotland as best as it can be.

Max Fowler

Hi Everyone,

I was at Glasgow for all 3 days this year as part of the DEMU Scotland area group team and the 3 days went by so fast. This show might be large but has a really freindly feel to it and offers something for the whole family and whilst this approach might not suit everyone for the vast majority of people attending there should be enough to keep everyone entertained. Yes it got busy at times but with a little patience you would easily get in too see a layout or trade stand. We all spoke to people young and old on all things railway related and other modelling disciplines on the DEMU stand its amazing what ideas, skills and techniques could be shared. It was great to meet so many people that you come across and chat with on here as well as the many DEMU members that I caught up with or indeed those I met for the first time in person. I didn't get as much modelling done as planned but that is simply down to all those who stopped by to chat, ask questions or just take a closer look at what we were up too and I'm glad that so many chose to. The common themes from many were, my modelling isn't up to those standards, many questions about DCC and other things that people might not have asked if we didn't try and encourage them. None of us are experts but we do have some good knowledge and skills amongst us and we tried to offer as much help and advice as we could.

I was amazed at my impromptu DCC sound installation demo attracting so much attention - having gone to Digitrains for a class 37 decoder, I listened the night before and was suitably impressed that I got one early Sunday. It took over 2 hours to install not because it was a difficult job but just the number of people who were interested. One young girl came over and asked what I was up and after I told her she then dragged the rest of the family round the corner to hear the sound fitted trains on Mikes layout New Garnock. Another club member came over with his engine and asked me to finish the decoder install for him which I had no problem in doing. If we don't have shows with this mix going on how are we going to encourage new people into the hobby who clearly would if they know where to go for help. I even suggested to several people to take a look at RMweb as there are many people who still havn't seen it!

The trade support might not have been as good with some absent but there was still a very good mix, I spent money at some old favourites Charlie at DC kits, Brian and the team at Shawplan, Langley models as theres always something for adding those little details from them. Unit models was new to me but got some nice bits there for detailing, digitrains for their new Zimo British sounds for a 37/0 as well as a few odd tools and brass. Living in Edinburgh I already had been to Harburns for their hot item the Scotrail 150 in conjunction with Model Rail and the only reason I didn't come away with there excellent Regional Railways mark 2's is they are already on order! I certainly got some good prices on the things I bought and I did see plenty of other things on offer throughout the show.

My thanks must go to the organising team as they put in a lot of hard work over the 3 days of the show, not to mention how much effort people put in to make it happen before that. Yes I do know some of them personally through DEMU and being at the Scottish shows and they all deserve much more credit than some may have shown.

I will add some photos when I get chance.

Thanks,

Mark

Guest jim s-w

appreciate this review or vetting of every layout will not be able to take place for very obvious reasons.

Hiya

I think you will find that is unusual, afaik most other shows always vett every layout unless the standard of the builders work is very well known. Certainly the case for pretty much every show we have been to. I can't believe the amrss invite layouts to 'the premier Scottish show' sight unseen.

I didn't get as much modelling done as planned but that is simply down to all those who stopped by to chat, ask questions or just take a closer look at what we were up too and I'm glad that so many chose to.

If you do a demo and don't get any modelling done that's a good demo IMHO. You shouldn't view a demo a a freebie entrance to a show to get your head down and do what you would be doing at home.

Cheers

Jim

to add a different perspective to the show comments, I am a member of a small club - Glasgow and West Of Scotland MRC - and we have around 12 members of mixed age and skill. The clubroom we have is small and therefore we are limited to what we can build. We have a 00 gauge layout which is part stored in the clubroom and part in someones store of their flat and we are constructing a new N gauge layout. Given this we are clearly unable too build the tailchasers that children love to see.

to ensure layouts are not seen year after year at MR, AMRSS quite correctly (IMHO) state that no layout can be shown for 3 years after any attendance at Model Rail. Clearly as we only have 2 club layouts, this presents a problem and as attendance at Model Rail gives us some valuable income we will rely on club members own layouts to fill the gaps. This year we used my own St Ann's Depot http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/19203-st-anns-depot/ and another members N gauge to ensure we were represented. As it happens my own layout was seen by the Model Rail Scotland Exhibition Manager at the East Kilbride show last year therefore the standard (or otherwise of it) was known before it went to the SECC. I appreciate this review or vetting of every layout will not be able to take place for very obvious reasons.

the Exibition Manager has an unenviable job to keep the AMRSS members happy by allowing them too have layouts present while also trying to bring in layouts from outwith Scotland to allow a good mix to cater for all interests.

the SECC has many faults but there may not be that many other suitable venues for the size of show.

all of us who exhibit are not all of the same standard as some of the top class modellers that we see and read about but that does not dimish our effort to try and get it right and while I fully acknowledge that my Depot Layout is not everyones cup of tea - particularly childrens - I think it was reasonably well received and I was asked numerous questions over the 3 days about it to let me think that some people were happy with it.

we will all strife to be better and make Model Rail Scotland as best as it can be.

Max Fowler

a very good post from an exhibitors point of view which allows us visitors to see it from the other side of the fence. It does sound as if the exhibition is a victim of it's own past successes and is of such size that no other venue than the SECC can accommodate it, so it appears that the AMRSSS are stuck with it. It is also good to see your last sentence, however I still think I'll give it a miss next year.

As a fellow railway modeller, a member of a local Model Railway Club and Exhibition Manager for RAILEX NE hosted by Blyth & Tyne MRS. I find some of the comments posted heart warming but also disturbing. I visited Model Rail on Saturday with approximately 30 of our club's members and I believe everyone of our members enjoyed their time at the show.

The show I believe had something for everyone from the absolute beginner to the expert modeller. I also felt the balance of traders was far better than at most other big shows I have visited recently.

I totally agree with a comment from an earlier post that if anyone has any comment to make about the show to address them to the organisers rather than posting them on forums, I know from speaking to organisers of other shows that not everyone reads forums like rmweb. So if you don't let them know they can't change or improve the problem for the next time.

At our show we actively encourage the public to complete a show questionaire, or more recently the questionaire on the website. Not everyone does, but those who do their comments are most welcome even when they are not complimentary. Sometimes the suggestions are unrelistic, more often then not they are achiveable and are acted on. At the next show we publish all the comments made by the public and what we have done to address them.

As a fellow Exhibition Manager I know the difficulties faced by all exhibition managers to put on a successful show. Unfortunately what is one persons cup of tea is not someone elses. The saying you can please some people some of the time but not all of the time has never been more true of organising a model railway show. I came away from Model Rail having enjoyed my time, even if most of it was spent talking to the exhibitors getting ideas and organising exhibits for future RAILEX NE shows. On a personal note my favourite layout was the Dutch layout, which as a exhibition manager ticks all the right boxes, apart from the price which I was quoted as 5,000 euros (approx £4,000+). May be one day we will be able to afford the Dutch layout, I can only hope.

Having organised our show for the last eight years (I think I need to be certified)and being a visitor to many exhibitions around the country I believe Model Rail has improved considerably year on year since I started visiting. Every year poses new problems for a show which I am sure the AMRSS team will take on board and address, if they don't then the public will vote with their feet, I know from experience.

I believe any exhibition team need our praise and not our constant sniping, after all they are all volunteers unlike the shows put on by the modelling magazines. They give up all of their time for free to put on a show for your enjoyment.

Regards

Chris

Crikey the Railex brand is moving north I should be receiving royalties !!!!!! Chris.

Hello all,

I've just seen a youtube video of a layout at the exhibition based on Georgemas Junction in the ews era. I cant seem to find any other details on this. Does anyone know if the layout was actually called Georgemas Junction, who it was by and whether it features on any websites or in any magazines.

Hello all,

I've just seen a youtube video of a layout at the exhibition based on Georgemas Junction in the ews era. I cant seem to find any other details on this. Does anyone know if the layout was actually called Georgemas Junction, who it was by and whether it features on any websites or in any magazines.

Certainly was - stand 92 Georgemas Junction - George Woodcock - who I think might be a member

There were a couple of photos and a trackplan in the show guide - email from the page wuguk at yahoo dot co dot uk

Hello all,

The layout is called Georgemas Junction and is a model of a real location in the North of Scotland.

It also featured in February issue of Railway modeller

And i along with George Woodcock, Richard Coleman, several "guest" Scottish operators enjoyed operating it all weekend at the SECC

Probably should not have said enjoyed, i must be in the minority.....;)

PS/ George Woodcock is Bedlam George on this forum.

Did anybody else see a resin RTP Caledonian Railway signal box on the Bachmann stand at Glasgow with a note on it saying coming soon. It does not appear on the new items list that has just been announced or as far as I can see the existing Bachmann list. Did anybody else see it or was I imagining it? I think it was on the top shelf of the display case at the back left of the stand ( looking in to the stand) along with the art deco Scenecraft buildings.

Maybe it is a limited edition for Harburn Hobbies.

I posted a comment about it in the Bachmann sub forum and am now slightly embarrassed that I may have misled people.

Thanks

g45

Couldn't go this year, something to do with being down the other end of the country, but on the whole I've always enjoyed this show, it's a chance for the member clubs to show their layouts and gain some valuable income. So what for next year. I know that Borchester Market is due to visit Glasgow, not sure that it's ever been that far North. I think Blyth is the farthest so far. Also hear that the exhibition manager has started to make a layout to exhibit for next year.

I disagree.

As a purpose-built exhibition centre, it has lots of positives.

It is easily accessible by public transport. Not everyone has a car. I do but sometimes like to use the train as I did on Saturday...from Milton Keynes! I can't do that to most of the shows local to me.

It is easily accessible by road. I have read that parking was expensive but I'm sure there was enough of it. I have been to many shows where I have had to park down the road.

Refreshments are available (again at cost). If cost is an issue, it is not very far at all from Glasgow city centre.

The exhibition was in one large hall. I much prefer this to expos which are squeezed into a lot of small rooms with bottle-neck doorways.

hmm - I think that, on reflection, I agree with you. I was probably letting my local predjudices get in the way of my thinking. fron MRS perspective i think its really the grotty airport style seating areas outwith the hall that i don't like - as a dad with small children i spend more time there than i would like!

Did anybody else see a resin RTP Caledonian Railway signal box on the Bachmann stand at Glasgow with a note on it saying coming soon. It does not appear on the new items list that has just been announced or as far as I can see the existing Bachmann list. Did anybody else see it or was I imagining it? I think it was on the top shelf of the display case at the back left of the stand ( looking in to the stand) along with the art deco Scenecraft buildings.

I posted a comment about it in the Bachmann sub forum and am now slightly embarrassed that I may have misled people.

Thanks

g45

Eaton - not sure what you mean about the Hornby layout - care to elaborate?

It was a small layout tucked away in a corner on which was running some of their new products. I presume it was originally built to show what a child could build with his Dad if they used Hornby set track. However when I watched it the radius of the track was so tight in one corner that the locomotive struggled to pull its train through the corner. However given the improbable terain of parallel canyons this was not suprising. It looked for all the world that it had been built in the 60's and I very much doubt that any youngster would have found it inspiring.

I just could not imagine Fleischmann or any American manufacturer using something so shabby as a marketing tool at a major exhibition. Bachmann, a couple of stands down, must have had a large smile on their faces all weekend long.

It just seemed to me that this was a very poor and misguided effort from the UK's leading manufacturer whose name many people see a being synonymous with model railways.

Our it it just me just missing the point?

Thanks

g45

Hi Grow45

I saw it as well,so its not your imagination..! I thought it looked great,sorry but I have no idea if it is a Harburn Hobbies special

As for the show itself I after having attended every year since the 90's I have found that it has went down hill over the last couple of years and this year was in my opinion the worst yet in terms of layouts and there quality, still never mind there is always Perth....!

Regards

I see someone else has already reassured you ut was there - Ican also confirm. The roof looked a wee bit "flat" to me. I also think I saw something similar elsewhere - possibly in the competition cabinets? As it is "the wrong side of the country" for me I didn't pay a tremendous amount of attention to it - sorry!

Cheers,

26power

Thanks

g45

Did anybody else see a resin RTP Caledonian Railway signal box on the Bachmann stand at Glasgow with a note on it saying coming soon. It does not appear on the new items list that has just been announced or as far as I can see the existing Bachmann list.

Thanks

g45

Answer is revealed in the latest Collectors Club magazine. It is a limited edition run via the Caledonian Railway Association, and was done for the Kirriemuir layout project in the C.C. mag. We just need Bachmann to realise they need a Caley 0-6-0 for it as well and some of us will be very happy :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

My photos from the show are up!

Didn't manage to get round to take a photo of everything - but had a good try!

We were just a bit busy on the DEMU stand.....

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n100/Scottish-Modeller/Model%20Rail%202011%20-%20Glasgow/

Takes you there

Thanks

In response to my query about the Caley Signal Box

Answer is revealed in the latest Collectors Club magazine. It is a limited edition run via the Caledonian Railway Association, and was done for the Kirriemuir layout project in the C.C. mag. We just need Bachmann to realise they need a Caley 0-6-0 for it as well and some of us will be very happy :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. Somebody told me that a few days ago but I did not feel it appropriate to say so in public as it was a PM.

A Caley 0-6-0 to go with it would certainly be welcome

g45

Hi all

My apoligies if this is in the wrong part of this form, but could someone let me know if Georgemas junction was at Model Rail for all three days..? as I was there for at least three hours on the Friday and never saw it

Regards

Archived