MODEL RAIL SCOTLAND 2011

Mac

The other highlights for me personaly had to be Loch Oran, Manor Lane TMD (always something moving when we stopped to look), Castlebridge, St Ann's Depot and of coarse Emsland-Moortrack which had so many things to look at. More importantly it had provisioned for kids. The first thing I said to the wife was it's not my taste (BR blue man) but it had steps for kids. Due to this fact we must have returned to it 4 or 5 times even if it was just to give my arms a rest, not easy holding the 4 year up to see layouts for three hours you know.

Mark

Mark - given the tone of a number of the postings re the show being poor, I am glad you liked St Ann's Depot. We had no major running problems that I am aware of - if some of the posters thought otherwise please let me know - but we did have one mishap off public view when a Bachmann Class 25 left the track and tried to see how solid the concrete floor was. Chassis and motor survived but body damage sustained but thopefully a few days in the workshops and it will be back in service.

Max Fowler

Yes, railex. Year after year. It can be done. I must say I haven't seen such a negative reaction to a show for quite a few years. Plenty of feedback though so 2012 should be better. By the sound of it it has to be!

Cheers

Jim

Here here Railexhs always had hig standard layouts etc sinceitbegan as a oneday show back in the old Civic Centre and its transition to S Manderville well set out freindly staff keep up the go work David and co fom Chris who started it.

Model rail Scotland 2011 is only the 3rd rail show that family magnolia has been to - and we all enjoyed it this year and last.

SECC is a shocking venue, but I for one am glad of the hordes of punters as it allows me and the family to understand that modelling is a 'real' hobby / pasttime.

personally I am just gobsmacked that so many people can take the time and effort to both make, and then show, such a huge variety of models. Maybe having three small blond girls with me helps, but all the exhibitors that we chatted with were unfailingly polite and helpful, and most folk that we bumped into or were bumped by were no more an issue than they would have been outside. Rather be in the show than in the supermarket!

perhaps next year the show guide could list the display entries in numerical order, so you can find them when standing at the actual display - but generally, take your own food, catch the train-every-10 mins for the 3 minute ride to Central and Bobs your uncle.

Sadly I was not at this year's Model rail due to illness, but I have felt for number of years that the general attitude of stewards is appalling especially the crowd with the shaven heads, the ear piece taped to their heads, and dressed all in black it is like the SS. Come on this is a family model railway show are they necessary or is it at an SECC stipulation, as far as the yellow jacket people are concerned they are from the Clubs and should be briefed properly about courtesy to the paying public. I know that the SECC is a horrible place, the McLellan Galleries was a much more homely place and that was were Model Rail started. The SECC lay down some of the daftest rules that one could imagine and they assume everyone has a bottomless pit for spending in setting up a show. In the early days of going to the SECC after the disastrous venue of Anderston, many a meeting was held with the SECC management about various things, stand fitters are not needed, only power points needed within rectangles and spurred to layouts, I could go on for ages. As far as the set up and break down are concerned that is unbelievable, we used to try and and get people who had the longest the distance to travel home away first, but it did not always work and the jobsworth from the SECC would interfere and generally cause friction and animosity. Back last June I posted about Perth now being the best show in Scotland, it was a superb show last year, friendly, and like a good old fashioned model railway show, roll on 25 & 26 June. And by the way I have no connection with Perth at all, but I do know what I am talking about Glasgow, I was its Chief Steward, Guide Editor and Exhibition Manager before 1986, at McLellan Galleries, the ill-fated Anderston and at the early exhibitions SECC! Finally if the standards are falling at Glasgow, what appears to be among its traders fixing prices as has been suggested it is maybe time for change of direction, new traders, new Committee even, you do after a while fail to see the wood for the trees.

Come on this is a family model railway show are they necessary or is it at an SECC stipulation, as far as the yellow jacket people are concerned they are from the Clubs and should be briefed properly about courtesy to the paying public.

As I posted earlier in the thread it was a yellow jacket that stopped me in my tracks. As I said I thought I bumped into him, but it was a bump and a halk as I'm 13 stone but not easily stopped. It felt like I walked into a wall. I half expected to see the person lying on the ground I was stopped that abruptly. If it's any help to the orginisers he had a catipiller on his top lip (I know probably not much help at all).

I know most of my complaints were aimed at the general public and not much can be done about it (I just hope the ones that were rude have read these posts and be more considerate). My frustrations come from trying to entertain a 4 year old who wants to watch trains go by, this is very hard when you stand at a layout for 15-20 minutes with no loco running at all. I have read other posts who say many exibitors were standing around talking to each other and I must say due to this I never got to speak to any at all. Returning home with every single question I had un answered. If the conversation was about running issues, fare enough but do they not know it takes less than 15 minutes to remove a loco and replace it with another keeping the publics interest going. Some stands I counted 8 members, surley 1-2 to keep an eye on/run front scene, 2-3 to load locos and maintain fiddle yard, 1 to be available for help when required, 1 or 2 to float around the front of the layout available for questions or give history.

On another note (yes there is more)........

I think the program could have been a little more informative. In past years (that I have attended) nearly all had track plans with layout dimensions (it's nice to know what space is required), even baseboard dimentions and amout would be great. It would also be great if it could include an icon for power system (DCC or DC), then You would know where to get the best answears to your questions. I would have hated to stand at a layout for 15-20 minutes to ask questions on DCC only to find I had to move on and wait another 15-20 at some one elses. Another small inclusion would be a page or two about baseboard construction, track alignment at joints things along this idea. I'm sure lots of people attending attend because they are starting out and don't know where to start.

Best regards,

Mark

I have never been to the show before, and was using it as an excuse for a weekend in Scotland and in the hope of rekindling my interest in modelling (as a serious modelling block still exists).

We attended on Sunday, arriving by train from Ayr at about 1.30pm after a lovely snack lunch in Franco's on the concourse of Central Station. I couldn't believe how empty it was. (I'd been warned by a local modeller to expect serious congestion on a Sunday.) Small children were finding it very easy to get viewing positions. So did we - we just wandered up to a layout and space appeared as people moved on. I found it a bit worrying for the future of the show and for the traders. By 3.30pm there were some large trade stands with no potential customers at them at all.

I found the layouts very patchy. The lady I took with me decided that the Dutch club one was her favourite, and in terms of visual interest, quality of modelling, and the amount of operation, I have to agree. We also both liked the ones with a coal mine on. The ticket staff and the people patrolling the doorways were very friendly and efficient. Both my guest and I were given the opportunity of the 'green stamp passout' in a very warm manner.

Would I go again? Possibly, but for me it lacked the layout excitement I have felt in the past at Stafford or Wigan, amongst others. I think I had expected some sort of 'Scottish York', and for a while I kept looking for a second hall (even though I had a guide). But you have to wish 'Good Luck' to any show organisers - what a monumental task. So thank you guys.

Tony

I have never been to the show before, and was using it as an excuse for a weekend in Scotland and in the hope of rekindling my interest in modelling (as a serious modelling block still exists).

We attended on Sunday, arriving by train from Ayr at about 1.30pm after a lovely snack lunch in Franco's on the concourse of Central Station. I couldn't believe how empty it was. (I'd been warned by a local modeller to expect serious congestion on a Sunday.) Small children were finding it very easy to get viewing positions. So did we - we just wandered up to a layout and space appeared as people moved on. I found it a bit worrying for the future of the show and for the traders. By 3.30pm there were some large trade stands with no potential customers at them at all.

I found the layouts very patchy. The lady I took with me decided that the Dutch club one was her favourite, and in terms of visual interest, quality of modelling, and the amount of operation, I have to agree. We also both liked the ones with a coal mine on. The ticket staff and the people patrolling the doorways were very friendly and efficient. Both my guest and I were given the opportunity of the 'green stamp passout' in a very warm manner.

Would I go again? Possibly, but for me it lacked the layout excitement I have felt in the past at Stafford or Wigan, amongst others. I think I had expected some sort of 'Scottish York', and for a while I kept looking for a second hall (even though I had a guide). But you have to wish 'Good Luck' to any show organisers - what a monumental task. So thank you guys.

Tony

Tony.

From what you said about Sunday, I think you chose the right time to visit the show.

Could you elaborate on why you found the layouts very patchy ?

I like your comment about expecting some sort of 'Scottish York'.

My own view is that York beats Glasgow for variety of layouts most of the time...and for the venue

all of the time.

If you're trying to find your mojo for modelling; your best bet is probably York, though the small

Scalefour North show in April might be worth a punt for quality layouts and a decent bookseller.

Mac.

I think in Scotland we also lack good scale forum shows. For a while the country had a Scale Show at New Lanark run by Jim Greive and his colleagues and that raised the standard over the country. But Model Rail is supposed run by the Association aod Model Railway Clubs in Scotland. There are many good layouts in Scotland, none more so just now like Alloa, Burntisland, also Castle Rackrent is another fine example, and some of the layouts produced by the East Kilbride Club over the years. I may be wrong but I do not think that Castle Rackrent has ever been exhibited in its entirety in Scotland. But as far as the yellow jackets are concerned, bless them, they do need monitored by the Chief Steward, most of the time they are members of clubs who just want the stewarding hours and can get rid of the their local menace for a couple of hours.

HI Mark

So you bump into a steward and its there fault for not moving out the way!!! or am I reading it wrong.

Regards Arran

Yes you are Arran.

I take it you have not read or at least taken in earlier posts?

As of my earlier posts. I had been looking at my son trailling behind as we were about to exit the top door. I had been stopped abruptly. Thinking I had bumped into some one I turned to apologise only to find a yellow jacketed steward with his had on my chest (an excuse me would be perfectly reasonable I think) saying "no exit here go to the bottom door". In showing him the stamp on my hand he actualy said "it's still the bottom door".

Mark

Yes you are Arran.

I take it you have not read or at least taken in earlier posts?

As of my earlier posts. I had been looking at my son trailling behind as we were about to exit the top door. I had been stopped abruptly. Thinking I had bumped into some one I turned to apologise only to find a yellow jacketed steward with his had on my chest (an excuse me would be perfectly reasonable I think) saying "no exit here go to the bottom door". In showing him the stamp on my hand he actualy said "it's still the bottom door".

Mark

To have my son knocked to the ground three times and my self physicaly man handled by staff is out of order! :angry:

This year was first time for quite a few years that I did not get to Glasgow due to the cost of Mr Bransons tickets ,last year I felt that there was something lacking and judging by the comments I did not miss a lothisyear .The venue is impressive but needs a refurbishment to much dirty grey paint and the railway bridge is quite a distgusting place to walk through,the station itself needs to be more welcoming .Running a large show is difficult the search for new layouts trade etc is a never ending grind ,a layout you see once and book it can run well on viewing but the gremlins creep in when you dont expect it.Everyone should be a little more subjective as remember the layouts are not profesionaly run.that said long gaps with nothing happenning for long periods and groups seemingly chatting behind the layout do annoy vsitors when they have paid a not inconsiderable sum for admission.Owners of venues seem to be pushing up the cost of hire okay it costs a lot to run a venue but to high a cost and hirers walk away.Exhibitions need a rethink on how they present themselves to the public the staff should be taught how to deal with the public ,catering sorted out ,even Warley needs a look at this ,where the catering is provided by national companies nothing can be done ,a certain coffee shop in the Glasgow Centre is a case in point .But the crux of the matter is that a show has to provide value for money,good entertainment ie good layouts ,and trade ,the venue has to be welcoming.Unfotunately big sheds are not ideal due to temparature variations and do seem dirty as has been said already but a large show needs a big venue,catch twenty two .Sadly I will not be able to visit Glasgow again and I wish the show all the best and hope that it returns to the top quality it used to be,

To have my son knocked to the ground three times and my self physically man handled by staff is out of order! :angry:

OK I didn't read the earlier post , only the one on this page.

Reading your earlier posts then, were you walking towards to entrance backwards !!!! as you didn't seem the member of High Viz Britain patrolling the border.

Regards Arran

Reading your earlier posts then, were you walking towards to entrance backwards !!!! as you didn't seem the member of High Viz Britain patrolling the border.

Regards Arran

Hi Arran,

Do you have a catipiller on your top lip?

Mark

Like another contributor my mother took me in the 60s , I went myself from 1974 onwards and have never mised a show since. I now also like to go over 2 days but these are typically Sat and sunday. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and I thought the stewarding and people selling the tickets were all very efficient and friendly. Also its easy to forget that a lot of people give up time and effort for our enjoyment. So a big thank you to them for my enjoyment through the years!

I also look back affectionately about the days the exhibition was held in the Maclellan Galleries , but I don't think it can go back there. Its now too big and how could you get disabled access . from memory all the society stands were arranged round the balcony in the big hall. Happy days but not really practical.

I too missed D&F models. I do hope the bigger trader is not squeezing the local model shop out!

I would not like to see an exhibition that was all top class layouts. Too me , while inspiring it can also be a little offputing. I would much rather see a range of layouts. That said, I think there were a few which really need looked at. The HO British Layout is not new this year , it has appeared at least once and possibly twice before. Like another contributor I wonder why.

Guest eddie reffin

At the risk of upsetting folk who seem to have a downer on the show and its organisers, I found this years to be one of the best for a while. I did my bit of stewarding and never once did I see any of the other stewards be rude, obstructive or unhelpfull. What I did see was quite a few people who were extremely rude to those on the doors. Many a person leaving the hall had their hands raised in front of the stewards faces and when pointed out the system of doors just snarled back.

I think that instead of moaning on here, they should contact the organising committee through the website with specific details of their complaints.

A lot of hard work goes on to run this show and I for one would like to thank Ian, Douglas G, Kenny, Dave K and all the rest of the team for their efforts.

Cheers

Eddie

Regards Arran

Are you kidding me on?

Guest jim s-w

Gents - can I suggest that you move your two-way conversation/discussion/disagreement into PMs, before you both get stomped on by the MOD team - it really doesn't belong in this thread. Thank you

I dunno. You realise Arran is the chairman of the AMRSS don't you? I think his responses to feedback very much belong in this thread.

Cheers

Jim

PART 1

If it's any help to the orginisers he had a catipiller on his top lip (I know probably not much help at all).

PART 2

I know most of my complaints were aimed at the general public and not much can be done about it (I just hope the ones that were rude have read these posts and be more considerate). My frustrations come from trying to entertain a 4 year old who wants to watch trains go by, this is very hard when you stand at a layout for 15-20 minutes with no loco running at all. I have read other posts who say many exibitors were standing around talking to each other and I must say due to this I never got to speak to any at all. Returning home with every single question I had un answered. If the conversation was about running issues, fare enough but do they not know it takes less than 15 minutes to remove a loco and replace it with another keeping the publics interest going. Some stands I counted 8 members, surley 1-2 to keep an eye on/run front scene, 2-3 to load locos and maintain fiddle yard, 1 to be available for help when required, 1 or 2 to float around the front of the layout available for questions or give history.

Part 3

On another note (yes there is more)........

I think the program could have been a little more informative. In past years (that I have attended) nearly all had track plans with layout dimensions (it's nice to know what space is required), even baseboard dimentions and amout would be great. It would also be great if it could include an icon for power system (DCC or DC), then You would know where to get the best answears to your questions. I would have hated to stand at a layout for 15-20 minutes to ask questions on DCC only to find I had to move on and wait another 15-20 at some one elses. Another small inclusion would be a page or two about baseboard construction, track alignment at joints things along this idea. I'm sure lots of people attending attend because they are starting out and don't know where to start.

Best regards,

Mark

Part 1

To point out person in question if the orginisers read these thread without going formal.

Part 2

Explaining the frustrations felt on day.

Part 3

I knew it may be sounding like a moan due to earlier posts. Although I can assure it was meant as constructive input.

HI Mark

So you bump into a steward and its there fault for not moving out the way!!! or am I reading it wrong.

Regards Arran

This is not helpful after taking three days to calm down a bit. This post just agrivates

Regards Arran

If it did not concern you, then why would you need detailed descriptions???????????????

No , and I dont have eyes in the back of my head either.

Arran

Nice one you even got a thanks for that. But with all your questions put in a argumentative manner, i.e, "!!!" would I not be justified in asking in a back handed way, are you the steward?

Gents - can I suggest that you move your two-way conversation/discussion/disagreement into PMs, before you both get stomped on by the MOD team - it really doesn't belong in this thread. Thank you

You are so right!

Archived