MODEL RAIL SCOTLAND 2011

Mac

Can anyone suggest which is the best day for visiting the Glasgow Show?

I had heard that Friday is for enthusiasts..Saturday for families and

Sunday for every-man and their dog!

I would be looking to buy an advance ticket and spend 3 - 4 hours at the

SECC in a non alcoholic capacity.

Mac.

• RMweb Gold

Now that I've reached the dizzy heights of early retirement,(what am I to

do with all this money?) I've a lot more leeway when it comes to attending

Exhibitions.

Can anyone suggest which is the best day for visiting the Glasgow Show?

I had heard that Friday is for enthusiasts..Saturday for families and

Sunday for every-man and their dog!

I would be looking to buy an advance ticket and spend 3 - 4 hours at the

SECC in a non alcoholic capacity.

Mac.

HI Mac,

It won't make a difference - crowd wise at least!

Friday pm is probably the best period for getting around the show though.

The layouts will have settled in to the unique SECC environment and the operators become used to the layout in the environment as well.

Late PM the crowds will have begun to thin as people will want to carry on with life as normal.

Yes - there will be the usual 'After Work' crowd coming in to have a quick look and decide on the stratagy for a full on visit on either Saturday or Sunday.

But - overall, Friday is from my experience, the best day to get around the show.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I'd aim for Friday. It is a little less busy (but not much!) than the other two days. Also you find on Fridays there will be more enthusiasts/modelers whereas on Saturday and certainly Sunday there are a lot more families. Its got so big now I tend to do it on Friday and Saturday

I'd aim for Friday. It is a little less busy (but not much!) than the other two days. Also you find on Fridays there will be more enthusiasts/modelers whereas on Saturday and certainly Sunday there are a lot more families. Its got so big now I tend to do it on Friday and Saturday

I agree Friday is best day also you can upgrade on Virgin to first class and make the journey a bit more comfortable ,four hours on standard class plank is not good!

I've still to buy my advance ticket for the show; and as it allows me

to get in half an hour earlier,I think I'll aim for 10.30 am on the Friday.

A 1.30 pm finish should allow me some time to shop uptown or visit the

new Museum of Transport (if it's open in time!).

Three hours should be long enough to see the layouts that interest me.

Mac.

For the last few years I've finished work at lunch time in Edinburgh on the Friday, got the train through to Queen St and then walked over to Central and got the train over to Exhibition Centre usually getting there about 1.30 or something.

The first couple of hours are busy but not mentally so unlike Sat and Sun in my experience, and by 4pm onwards its positively quiet and you really do get peace to get a good look at things.

Friday is your best bet IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Mac and others contemplating going on the Friday late on, just check the closing time as I think the show closes earlier these days.

Regards,

Dave F. Who's demonsterating. (now, who used to say that?)

Hi all,

As I happen to have a poster at hend....

Dave F is correct - The opening hours have changed.

Friday - 11an to 6pm

Saturday - 10am to 6pm

Sunday - 10am to 5pm

Thanks

Who is probably sat next to Dave F for at least part of the show :blink:

post-6887-0-36242200-1294693942_thumb.jpg

I've still to buy my advance ticket for the show; and as it allows me

to get in half an hour earlier,I think I'll aim for 10.30 am on the Friday.

A 1.30 pm finish should allow me some time to shop uptown or visit the

new Museum of Transport (if it's open in time!).

Three hours should be long enough to see the layouts that interest me.

Mac.

Hi I would give the transport museum a miss as it is not going to be open till April 2011 this is what i remember the leaflet said when i went on the last day of the old museum being open when it was at the original place! i think they were aiming for a bout the 14th April 2011 Unless they have changed the date and they are ahead of there time!!

• 3 weeks later...

As I mentioned in another thread Chris Gilbert and his son are bringing Haston, and I shall get there around 1045 - (subject to not being up to my backside in snow up here in the Highlands) - to give them a hand and a break I'll be there around 1045 on Friday till close of play, and back from opening on Saturday until about 1445/1500 on Saturday. I'm bringing my elderly laptop, and hope to be able to help out anyone who has a problem with working out how to use XTrkCad - if you need help with a specific layout designproblem bring it on a USB drive or an SD card and then we can load it in - I don't guarantee to be able to solve it on site, but I can always have a go at it when I'm home again. I use the last freesource version v3.2314, simply because I have used it so long that I'm used to where everything is - some of the menus have been moved about on the more recent versions - but they are all compatible anyway. I can't remember if they have tables and chairs available,,so if anyone happens to know, the info would be useful.

• RMweb Gold

As I mentioned in another thread Chris Gilbert and his son are bringing Haston, and I shall get there around 1045 - (subject to not being up to my backside in snow up here in the Highlands) - to give them a hand and a break I'll be there around 1045 on Friday till close of play, and back from opening on Saturday until about 1445/1500 on Saturday. I'm bringing my elderly laptop, and hope to be able to help out anyone who has a problem with working out how to use XTrkCad - if you need help with a specific layout designproblem bring it on a USB drive or an SD card and then we can load it in - I don't guarantee to be able to solve it on site, but I can always have a go at it when I'm home again. I use the last freesource version v3.2314, simply because I have used it so long that I'm used to where everything is - some of the menus have been moved about on the more recent versions - but they are all compatible anyway. I can't remember if they have tables and chairs available,,so if anyone happens to know, the info would be useful.

Hi Jack,

Always interested in this sort of DEMO!

See pm for a suggestion.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic photos. Thought I would add a more recent photo of Carronvale T&RSMD from the one featured above. Looking forward to Model Rail Scotland and hope you enjoy the show.

Cheers,

Greig

Hi Greig,

The photos I took at Falkirk didn't come out well!

Thanks for the better shots....

I will be there as always - skulking about from lunchtime Friday till close - flying solo.

Back again Saturday with my pal John probably from 12 to around 4

If you see me......say "hello" - big fat and ugly - and I don't move very fast - should be easy to catch.

Small shopping list (which is an improvement on last year!) - seeking another Trix wheel brush if Gaugemaster have any, some more welders, and perhaps a few wagons + books - always room for some books - perhaps the 80's Spotting Days one this time.

Highlight of the year for me this show.

Hi I would give the transport museum a miss as it is not going to be open till April 2011... this is what i remember the leaflet said... i think they were aiming for a bout the 14th April 2011

Iankemp.

I didn't realise just how near the museum is to the back door of the SECC.

The 'Glenlee' looks like she's to be moored beside the museum.

I'll probably make a visit when the Tall Ships are in Greenock.

Mac.

post-9584-0-03915900-1297170392_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I am looking forward to being at this show for the very first time in any capacity.

I shall be there trying to get to grips with DCC control on the Hornby Magazine's brand new Eastern Region based coliery layout making it's debut at the show. Please come and say hello to myself and Mike Wild.

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

Been a while since we went but the op advice matches what we found. If it's convienient then the Friday evening was absolutely dead the year we went. I would deffibately go for friday evening if you can

Hth

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hiya

Been a while since we went but the op advice matches what we found. If it's convienient then the Friday evening was absolutely dead the year we went. I would deffibately go for friday evening if you can

Hth

Jim

Come on Jim!

Keep up with the discussion...

Friday evening is no longer an option - The show is not open.

Friday - 11an to 6pm

Saturday - 10am to 6pm

Sunday - 10am to 5pm

Thanks

Archived