Next batch of Class 70's

First one in service today, 70011 is on a Rugeley.

So I beleive........my pal rang me to see if I fancied running over the 12 miles to Rugeley PS to see it. I told him I'm not that desparate.

So, did it actually make it then.???

Bob

• RMweb Gold

So I beleive........my pal rang me to see if I fancied running over the 12 miles to Rugeley PS to see it. I told him I'm not that desparate.

So, did it actually make it then.???

Bob

Sure did, on it's way back.

Regarding 70012, I wonder how much of a coup it would be to the haulage bashers, to get it started up, and do a mile or so behind it.

One of the rarest loco's to get hauled by maybe?

I dare say it would be a very rare working - BUT , the chances are that even if they could get it to sit on rails , and find a railway willing to overlook a potentially out of gauge locomotive , that the internal components are damaged to the extent that it would not be possible to start the loco - I don't know the internal layout of a 70 , but it could be the case that the power unit and alternator have become split, driveshafts and pipework have fractured or even the crankshaft could have been damaged. Also there's no telling what damage has been done to wheelsets , axles , bearings and brake components.

As a driver I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole in that state.

• Like 1

Regarding 70012, I wonder how much of a coup it would be to the haulage bashers, to get it started up, and do a mile or so behind it.

One of the rarest loco's to get hauled by maybe?

There's bound to be another 70012. No point in leaving a gap in the number series when the missing loco hasn't even turned a wheel in anger in the UK.

Also, 158861 IIRC had one vehicle written off after a collision with a run away class 47 (47343, it was the reason for 47300 being converted from 47468). The new class 158 vehicle which was built as a replacement took the old vehicles identity (52861???).

Cheers

Simon

This can also happen with existing vehicles. 314203 has one vehicle which used to be part of 507022. DMS 64426 took the identity of its crashed Class 314 predecessor (64588) for its new role and is still in service in the Glasgow area. I travelled on it on a Gourock service recently. The interior is distinctive with curved orange handrails and dark grey walls.

Beluga Endurance not on its way back to Newport as yet.......its left Ghent on its way to Rostok in NE Germany.

So we are stuck with 70012 for a while yet.

Where is it currently, still at Newport.???

Bob

This can also happen with existing vehicles. 314203 has one vehicle which used to be part of 507022. DMS 64426 took the identity of its crashed Class 314 predecessor (64588) for its new role and is still in service in the Glasgow area. I travelled on it on a Gourock service recently. The interior is distinctive with curved orange handrails and dark grey walls.

64588 at one time also had a variety of experimental seating installed, some of which was a lot more comfortable that the standard low-backed Class 314 seating. Comfort on the 314 fleet would be improved by fitting the same high-backed seats as used on the Hornsey Class 313 fleet.

The original 64588 was destroyed in the Newton collision of 21st July 1991.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent........I am on a Basford Hall guided tour at 12.45pm this Saturday.

Fingers crossed...............Bob

my god, they let anyone in nowdays!!

spotted a 70 on there earlier shunting wagons on the virtual tip, also passed 001 on an intermodal just north of stafford

my god, they let anyone in nowdays!!

spotted a 70 on there earlier shunting wagons on the virtual tip, also passed 001 on an intermodal just north of stafford

Hi Jim, a pal of mine is a member of Phoenix Railtours, and I'm tagging along just for the trip.

Crewe South steam depot was still there as well the last time I was round Basford Hall.

Bob.