Next batch of Class 70's

Any ideas why the 70's are delivered to the docks on wagons? The 66's were hauled dead in tow the docks - is this just a difference in operations on the manufacturers part?

Its to do with the buffing gear. The sheds were designed to have swing-head buckeye couplers as standard and were be able to be marshalled into trains, where as the Betty's are fitted for the Shackle coupling and buffers which are not compatible with any US system

I quite like 'bettys' personally. It seems to keep up the tradition of nicknames which are completely indecipherable to anyone else!

Especially since the show 'Ugly Betty' has been canceled in the United States (not sure if any of the various Hispanic productions/telenovelas are still in production or not)

According to Wiki, the Series Finale just aired a few days ago in the UK (I think it was in April of this year in the US - I never watched it, but my mom liked the show).

Can you do an etch for a 3.5mm/ft class 70 ;) :P

I'm sure that I could produce something Dave. :P

Pete

Hi guys,

You can certainly get the wagons (cars!) required, Walthers do a multi axle car like these (it may not be IDENTICAL but it's certainly close!).

However, a class 70 in 3.5mm/ft?

Wow! Could you really do an etch for one of these, Pete or was it just 'chatter'? I would certainly be interested if you could! (for my British H0 stock).

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

You can certainly get the wagons (cars!) required, Walthers do a multi axle car like these (it may not be IDENTICAL but it's certainly close!).

However, a class 70 in 3.5mm/ft?

Wow! Could you really do an etch for one of these, Pete or was it just 'chatter'? I would certainly be interested if you could! (for my British H0 stock).

Cheers,

John E.

If the 70 becomes as successful as the 66 variants in Europe, then a 3.5mm 70 would be a good idea...............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I like that site Mr Beast - seems to be a maritime equivalent of this one

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Thanks Mike, another interesting one.

Beluga Edurance, containing the 70s, is bombing along at 13.4knots at the moment, imagine all the froth being generated on the bow wave :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, another interesting one.

Beluga Edurance, containing the 70s, is bombing along at 13.4knots at the moment, imagine all the froth being generated on the bow wave :lol:

Bet it won't get up to 780 posts over 32 pagesblink.gif Mind you once the locos have been landed and start to move on British rails …..

I like that site Mr Beast - seems to be a maritime equivalent of this one

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Right off topic, but worth pointing out that Flightradar24 doesn't show any radar information at all.

All it shows are positions reported via satellite only from those aircraft equipped with certain equipment (not used for air traffic control purposes).

Not all airlines use this kit, and many aircraft are not equipped.

Also, geographically large areas of Europe have no coverage (no data provided).

It's used by companies tracking their planes and for certain air traffic management purposes.

At any one time over the UK, it will show anything between only 10 and 50% of all commercial traffic.

It's historic too, with an inherent delay of several minutes.

Back to the 70's then (locos that is).....

Right off topic, but worth pointing out that Flightradar24 doesn't show any radar information at all.

All it shows are positions reported via satellite only from those aircraft equipped with certain equipment (not used for air traffic control purposes).

Not all airlines use this kit, and many aircraft are not equipped.

Also, geographically large areas of Europe have no coverage (no data provided).

It's used by companies tracking their planes and for certain air traffic management purposes.

At any one time over the UK, it will show anything between only 10 and 50% of all commercial traffic.

It's historic too, with an inherent delay of several minutes.

Even more off topic but that's not quite right.

It's based on Mode S Transponder data which is a transmission from the aircraft in response to the aircraft's transponder being interogated by ground based Secondary Surveilance Radar (SSR).

The previous Mode C transponders just transmitted a four digit ID code ("Squawk"), as allocated to the flight by ATC, in response to SSR interogation and this appeared on the ATC radar plot either as a 4 digit number or translated by computer software to the aircraft callsign and limited flightplan data.

Mode S allows selective interogation of individual aircraft transponders and in it's elementary level (ELS) provides the aircraft's unique 24 bit identifier (which relates to but is different from it's registration), it's range, altitude and callsign.

Aircraft with Enhanced Mode S (EHS) capability also provide a datlink capability for navigation data from the aircraft Flight Management System (FMS) which provides the tracking information shown on websites such as FlightRadar 24. The difference in capabilities is why some aircraft dont track.

There are commercially available receivers such as SBS-1 from Kinetic Avionics which receive Mode S data and display it as a virtual radar display. The tranmissions will be line of sight. The websites network multiple recievers but where there are no receivers there will be gaps in coverage.

In most European states Elementary Mode S is madatory for IFR flights and in most controlled airspace. EHS is only mandatory in a few instances, the London Terminal Area being the only UK one, but a lot of aircraft currently hold exemptons so still do not plot. On the other hand most recently delivered aircraft will have EHS capability from new and many others have already been upgraded so do show up.

This is of course different to the many commercial US Flight Trackers who actually buy radar data feeds from the FAA. In the UK, NATS will not provide such data for "security reasons"...

Anyway, back to Uglies - I had assumed that the bloke with the bulldozer thought he had been told to deal with another batch of sheds.... ;)

Regards

Mike