Next batch of Class 70's

York is Freightliners depot for class 70s.

Guess who waited for 3.5 hours on Saturday afternoon until it was too dark for photography at Liverpool Derby Road :blackeye:

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you were disappointed.

When you say York is the Freightliner Class 70 depot, what facility do they have up there. And why York, as not many of them run in that part of the world do they.?

Enlighten me, some of my pals have a need to know too.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure of the Whys and Wherefores regarding York, I've been told that the centre for 70s is there, I'm guessing that Midland Road is at capacity keeping 66s going and York was available. If I hear anything more concrete I will let you know.

Apparently 019 and/or 020 had "mechanical problems" hence the late departure from Seaforth on Saturday.

I understand that Midland Rd is doing some work on the stored 66's that they have for export to FL Poland. They have even brought over Polish staff for training. It is probable that once many of the stored locos have gone that 70's will be seen in bulk.

I'll prob have a look at MR this week as it's less than 5 miles from home.

I just heard from a friend who works at GE in Erie PA that the damaged class 70 returned from England is in the building where he works. He says that the frame has been heated and straightened, some new sections let in, bent panels still there but will be replaced, trucks [bogies] removed and not with the loco at present. He cannot take pictures as this is a definite no no but it certainly looks like the loco is being repaired and not dismantled

I just heard from a friend who works at GE in Erie PA that the damaged class 70 returned from England is in the building where he works. He says that the frame has been heated and straightened, some new sections let in, bent panels still there but will be replaced, trucks [bogies] removed and not with the loco at present. He cannot take pictures as this is a definite no no but it certainly looks like the loco is being repaired and not dismantled

I hope FL get money knocked off then.

Would YOU buy a new "damaged&repaired" car, for example?

I hope FL get money knocked off then.

Would YOU buy a new "damaged&repaired" car, for example?

I'm sure I read an email somewhere that said the repaired loco would not be coming back, as it could not be insured for running over here.???

Bob

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure I read an email somewhere that said the repaired loco would not be coming back, as it could not be insured for running over here.???

Bob

I thought they were doing it up for demo purposes, but if it passes all the safety requirements then makes no odds really.

There were plenty of 31s, 37s and 47s that had bent frames straightened so it could possibly be coming back although I did hear it was going to be used as a demo/ test loco.

The frames would have needed to be straightened for that anyway so we shall have to wait and see.

Edited by royaloak

A bit late I know, but on the 17th Feb I caught 70018 at Shawford working the Birch Coppice 'liner (it's "debut" run from the South I think?).

When it passed, there was a a fairly strong oil smell which lingered for a bit. It seemed more suited to a knackered 37! I though it a bit odd as the others I've caught there never emitted such a pong.

post-7258-0-50454900-1330723304.jpg

Andy.

What was the 70' on a Northbound 'liner dragging the whole load and two dead 86's out of Rugby at 4.30pm towards Nuneaton yesterday?? Anyone any ideas? Looked quite impressive..........cheers.

Guy

Edited by balders

• RMweb Premium

70018 seems to have become a regular from Southampton. It held up the departure of my train two days on the bounce, fortunately the second day I had the sense to have my camera ready:

post-6910-0-92341100-1331172800_thumb.jpg

Pity about the irritating low sunlight wrecking the shot though...