Rail Express January 2011

Jim Martin

Bought in Smiths in Liverpool this afternoon.

Prototype magazine:

Photo feature on class 37s on the Cambridge line (mainly b&w, some colour);

Article on BR Mk 2 coaches in service in New Zealand;

Two-page article by David Ratcliffe on the VGA van: not a modelling feature, but a review of their use in Speedlink days. Apparently the first of a series to mark the 20th anniversary of the end of the Speedlink network;

All the usual news / stock updates / Irish etc. bits

Modelling bit:

A LAYOUT FEATURE! Yes, for those that like that sort of thing, Longcarse West is here to cement Scotland's apparent stranglehold on current D&E modelling. Haven't read the article yet, but the layout looks really good with a great sense of space and some lovely scenic work.

Article on Autoballasters, with fleet details, train formations etc. Some interesting possibilities for owners of the Bachmann or NGS models, including some mixed sets i.e. not just autoballasters.

Short piece on an N gauge 25/0 built from a Farish 24 (photos of the finished model, not a step-by-step)

Warley photo feature

Reviews (Farish Deltic prototype and TPOs, Bachmann IPA car carrier, Real Track FLA, Murphy Irish Mk 2 coaches, Comet Mk 1 bullion van kit, Hornby Wrexham & Shropshire Mk 3 train pack)

News and stuff

I haven't really dibbed in yet but it looks, at first glance, to be the best issue for a few months.

Jim

As the north-east of Scotland newsagents always seem to be ages behind anybody else (even without a foot of snow outside) I decided to take the plunge and go for the Online download subscription

I can well recommend it, even if you do get a few boring ones in a year. Although this one is right up my street for content, esp. REM

Looks great on a big screen (21.5") and still useable on a net-book

Have to try and get back issues this way too

Rgds

Mark

A LAYOUT FEATURE! Yes, for those that like that sort of thing, Longcarse West is here to cement Scotland's apparent stranglehold on current D&E modelling. Haven't read the article yet, but the layout looks really good with a great sense of space and some lovely scenic work.

See Longcarse West at the Rochdale show on 5th/6th February 2011. It's S4 BTW and very nice too. :)

The pictures in the Cambridge Line Class 37 feature are well worth the price of the magazine on their own, bringing back memories of travelling on this route from 1978 to 1980. The regular locos were like old friends, and I still remember many of their numbers. In particular the detail visible in the photo of 37103 passing Cambridge Depot is superb.

As the north-east of Scotland newsagents always seem to be ages behind anybody else (even without a foot of snow outside) I decided to take the plunge and go for the Online download subscription

I can well recommend it, even if you do get a few boring ones in a year. Although this one is right up my street for content, esp. REM

Looks great on a big screen (21.5") and still useable on a net-book

Have to try and get back issues this way too

Rgds

Mark

That's the first bit of feedback on this venture that I've seen. Very interesting. I think I'll be sticking with the print version (haven't got a laptop / netbook; can't take the PC into the loo :O ) but I think it's an imaginative step. So was the large format, although not that many people seem to have taken to it. I liked it, though, and I'll be sorry to see the back of it.

Jim

See Longcarse West at the Rochdale show on 5th/6th February 2011. It's S4 BTW and very nice too. :)

Apparently Pete its P4 - Ive just been admonished on the S4 soc forum for cutting and pasting your layout list which refers to it as S4. You had better watch out or the P4 Taliban will be round your house with a 15 year old Nissan Micra and two pound of Semtex before you can say 18.83 :lol:

Howver you can still see it at the Rochdale show, and a good layout it is too.

The pictures in the Cambridge Line Class 37 feature are well worth the price of the magazine on their own, bringing back memories of travelling on this route from 1978 to 1980. The regular locos were like old friends, and I still remember many of their numbers. In particular the detail visible in the photo of 37103 passing Cambridge Depot is superb.

Especially to me. I was fuelling 170's on there tonight.

That foreign freightliner thing seems to have had its bufferbeams chopped off at the bottom though. Printer error?

• RMweb Gold

I'm completely confused now :unsure:

S4 has scale crossing clearances, P4 has a bit of leeway - Mostyn was admonished in the same way by the armchair respected modellers in the S4 society. Not all of us who model in P4 are so annual (mistyped)

I bought my copy in WH Smith at Waterloo this morning. The guy serving me looked at the cover photo (a rail-mounted snowplough) and fell about laughing at the suggestion such things existed on the railways in the light of the weather problems on the railways over the past few weeks.

Only read one page so far and that's the one we can't mention until tomorrow :D .

S4 has scale crossing clearances, P4 has a bit of leeway - Mostyn was admonished in the same way by the armchair respected modellers in the S4 society. Not all of us who model in P4 are so annual (mistyped)

Thanks Beast - I wonder whether Mr Furmage will post and confirm that, as he's used P4TC turnouts, it is indeed P4? His Exhibition Guide write-up blurb refers to 'P4 modelling' rather than S4 might give the game away.

Hi Gang;

Seen it in the Wiltshire shops this morning. Didn't pick it up as I didn't want to spoil my fun when my subs copy hit the doormat.

Trouble is, the subs copy has not yet arrived. Looks like 29th at the earliest now.

BAH Humbug....Just might not bother renewing in Feb!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

http://stusphotos.fotopic.net

Guest no1stpaddy

Got my copy today from the local newsagent, I know Im a bit late but it was worth the wait. Enjoyed the article on the Anglian 37s but not sure on the worth of the article on ex MK2 coaches in New Zealand!

On the modelling side it was a shame that the class 25/0 in N gauge didnt go into a more detailed article. My only criticism of this though, iso do people insist on painting there blue locos in that matt acrylic BR Blue, it doesnt look right and I dont remember the prototypes looking that matt and if you look at the images of the 25/0 on page 21 they confirm this.

The JLTRT post coaches look very impressive and will make 0 gauge modellers happy, I will be at the end of the scale though, buying the Graham farish ones which will make me happy and bring back memories of sitting at Derby Station in an evening awaiting the mail trains to see if a Class 40 would produce on the Manchester-St pancras train and to see which Peak would take over. Had some very short Class 40 cab rides down platform 6 before they powered off to Toton.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darryl,

I think that N Gauge locos look best with a matt finish (if depicted in usual use) or a satin finish if "ex-works." This is because that I don't think "shine" scales well - gloss finish on N Gauge locos looks toy like to me; satin looks more like a scaled-down gloss.

This is an effect that in my mind is exacerbated when seeing the model in real life as opposed to in photographs.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Beast - I wonder whether Mr Furmage will post and confirm that, as he's used P4TC turnouts, it is indeed P4? His Exhibition Guide write-up blurb refers to 'P4 modelling' rather than S4 might give the game away.

Hi All,

Longcarse West is built to P4 standards and I'm a member of the Scalefour Society. The S4/P4 debate goes way to far back in history for me to know much about it in any detail.

I'm pleased you are enjoying the article. Gareths pictures make the layout look far better than it does in the flesh.

After the Rochdale show the layout will appear at Scalefour North, Expo Em and then Scaleforum and will then be withdrawn from the exhibition circuit so that I can get busy on the next layout project.

Cheers

David

Archived