Dapol 142

dave flint

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It will be on shop shelves fairly soon. Logistical delays are a real thing.

Yep, and, of course, the seasonal holiday season will slow things down.

But good news is that in that the Dapol advert in the forthcoming NGS Journal (1/19) magazine the following are featured as 'coming soon' : class 142s as 'new', the HST-P as given the 'go-ahead' and new liveries on the class 68 and terrier.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I've noticed is that Dapol seemed to have dropped the dummy versions which they proposed when it was first announced. Also I'm a bit disappointed that the initial releases don't include one in the original Provincial livery. 

Don't worry, I reckon they'll be a certainty for the second batch. They're due in 2027  :sarcastic:

yeh and also gmpte orange would be nice!! maybe these can be in third batch in 2037.

looking forward to getting regional railways one soon though I hope!

Tim

Lets not exaggerate. A third batch based on current timings should be ready by around 2035  :)

In all seriousness, despite all the delays, I think Dapol might be onto a winner with the timing of these arriving. Whilst they are almost universally disliked by everyone that uses them, including enthusiasts, now that they are in their Indian summer there is a heightened interest in them and I expect the Northern livery in particular to fly off the shelves. 

Strong chance of the second batch featuring the original BR provincial blue & GMPTE grey, based on demand in this thread.

Edited by ash39

• RMweb Premium

I'd still like the Northwestern/First Northwestern dark blue with the big gold stars... One day... (but seriously I'm really looking forward to the turquoise one I've got on order - and hope it'll go round the corners on Gresby)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd cancelled my pre-order for a RR one a few years back, but just had contact from the shop saying they expect it to be in stock tomorrow. In two minds now whether to cancel or take delivery and see what it's like. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Premium

I thought I'd cancelled my pre-order for a RR one a few years back, but just had contact from the shop saying they expect it to be in stock tomorrow. In two minds now whether to cancel or take delivery and see what it's like. 

Tom.  

Tom,

Have you been tipped off that the Mid-Hants is going to acquire one and repaint it in RR livery or is there another little project simmering in the background somewhere?  Also would be pretty easy to convert to 2FS I shouldn't wonder . . .  :yes:

David

• RMweb Gold

Tom,

Have you been tipped off that the Mid-Hants is going to acquire one and repaint it in RR livery or is there another little project simmering in the background somewhere?  Also would be pretty easy to convert to 2FS I shouldn't wonder . . .  :yes:

David

Haha, the Mid Hants tried a PPM once, not sure they'll be going down that route any time soon again!

I've had a micro 2mm project in mind for something like this for a while, so I'll keep the order and see how easy it is to finescale. 

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

I quite like the look of the T&W PTE version but noticed that the destination board is Whitby.

The PTE gave funding for the Sunderland to Newcastle service before the Metro was extended and the units although used on that route were sometimes extended further south.  At one time there was one train a day south from Newcastle to Whitby, I don't think it had a return service timetabled (although of course they didn't just collect them in Whitby).

Must have been a fun ride all the way!

Has anyone got their hands on one yet?

I understand they need 2x NEX18 Decoders for DCC operation. Can anyone confirm?

I think it might have the older 6-pin socket - possibly due to the protracted development gestation that what was all that was available at the time it was designed.

G.

• RMweb Premium

I think it might have the older 6-pin socket - possibly due to the protracted development gestation that what was all that was available at the time it was designed.

G.

When I spoke to my local shop just after writing the post, they confirmed its a NEX18 socket. Just wondering its a decoder per car or one per set. Hopefully the latter, but I suspect the former. Edited by richierich

I understood they would only require 1 DCC decoder as the couplings are able to transfer power between vehicles? The price uplift for a DCC-fitted model (around £21) suggests only one decoder as well.

It says

• Digital Ready (NEXT-18 socket)

on the Hattons website.  I'm not well versed on the benefits of next 18 over the older 6 pin decoders? Do they offer additional functionality or reduced size, there must be a reason for the change?

Interestingly, the photo of the box on the Hattons website also shows that the model is shown as suitable for use on 1st radius curves. Not that I would ever plan any into a layout, but it's good to know it can do it if it needs to. I thought tight corners might be problematic with fixed axles.  

Edited by ash39

• RMweb Gold

It’s listed as Next 18 on various retailer sites.

I’ve been looking back over this thread and others for the original specs but it’s so long ago now I can find them. Looking at the photos on Hattons & Rails websites there are a few things that struck me. There appears to be no interior, just exposed mechanism & wires and the shape issues that were flagged up years ago are still present. The destination blinds on the RR example appear to have ended up as the larger sized dot matrix display and I can see no evidence this was ever the case whilst they wore this scheme.

When mine arrives I’ll take a proper look but of course if you need/want an N Gauge pacer it’s the only game in town.

Tom.

Edited by TomE