Dapol 142

dave flint

I'm wondering if this model breaks the all time record for duration of time between announcement and arrival in shops? How many years has it been now??

IIRC the Pacer was announced in 2011 but I could be misremembering. I think the Farish Ivatt 2MT was probably the previous record holder.

• 6 months later...

Hmm, they seem to have dropped off the radar again - nothing posted on this thread for six months.

Is there an update?

Apparently Dapol will be at the NGS AGM exhibition at the end of July so they might have news and even samples on display then.

G

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

In reply to the question on the Dapol Digest from last week https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/class-142/5499-class-142-decorated-samples/page2

Joel Dapol commented
1 week ago

Yes, we had some technical issues and had to withdraw from the production slot. These are now scheduled for production imminently and should be in production very soon. Our apologies for the delay 

Regards, Gerry.

Edited by steam-driven boy
  • Like 1

hurrah!

do they come with a speaker already in place or a space for one to go?

if i sufficiently like the rr model i pre ordered i will buy the t&w yellow one too.

yes totally agree. everyone is keen to get new model trains and dislikes delays, but it's not like Dapol killed anyone or ruined lives by delaying this release is it!! some perspective is needed as this is a hobby and it's a luxury one that the vast majority in the world could never entertain.

anyway looking forward to the pacers!

Tim

Hurrah!

Do they come with a speaker already in place or a space for one to go?

Tim

I don't recall an in-built speaker being part of the specifications. It's probably best looking at their catalogue and seeing what the specifications are there?

I'm pretty sure DCC didn't exist when they designed it, let alone sound. More likely it'll have somewhere for the key to go so you can wind it up!

I think the gestation period began back in 1980 whilst the first gen DMUs were going through mid life refurbishment.

• Like 1

I think model manufacturers are cut way too much slack on here. Think of any other industry where it would be acceptable to announce a product in 2011 and not have it available for purchase until 2018?

Most cars only have a life cycle of 6 years before they were refreshed. You could still buy a new mk2 Focus in 2011, and now the mk4 is due out any day now.

Delays and issues happen along the way, I get that. Anyone saying Dapol have been transparent throughout the process must be on a different planet to me. They have given the bare minimum information and even then only when pushed for it.

The real Class 68 wasn't even on the radar in 2011 yet they have delivered an impressive model of that in two scales and in much less time.

It's fairly clear that the Pacer and other projects have been pushed down the pecking order by more lucrative models. Good business yes, and we all want to see manufacturers be successful, but a bit unfair for people who are awaiting the announced models in good faith.

They were originally announced at the Dapol N'thusiasts day back in 2009 as part of their 'Magnificent Seven', which included the Pendolino and Class 92!

Yep, I remember being there. We were shown pictures and CADs and told everything was basically ready and all that had to be done was to press the production button.

Sigh, those were the days

G.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The last info from Dapol around the time of the N Gauge Show in September was that they were about to be shipped from China. 

They were not in Dapol's October/Novemeber release schedule however, so perhaps December/January. 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE