Close-up - awaits painting

post-10633-0-02792800-1432929296_thumb.jpg

Final section of upper walkway fixed

post-10633-0-63329200-1432929325_thumb.jpg

Side view

post-10633-0-00812300-1432929359_thumb.jpg

Middle walkway fixed with bluetack

post-10633-0-54493100-1432929392_thumb.jpg

View showing all three walkways - the middle walkway planking to be trimmed to length, then painted and fixed

post-10633-0-72159100-1432929265_thumb.jpg

The lower glazing panels completed on the West side - the upper panels are under construction

• Like 11

Ron I do wonder about durability of something so delicate have you considered using piano wire for the straight length of handrail it would mean using superglue to join to the uprights or you could solder the uprights to the handrail and superglue the assembly to the walkway. I have soldered wire at 90 Deg for signal gantries but nothing on the scale you are producing.

It would take much longer but would be resilient to minor knocks.

Ron I do wonder about durability of something so delicate have you considered using piano wire for the straight length of handrail it would mean using superglue to join to the uprights or you could solder the uprights to the handrail and superglue the assembly to the walkway. I have soldered wire at 90 Deg for signal gantries but nothing on the scale you are producing.

It would take much longer but would be resilient to minor knocks.

Hi, Gary

Have great problems fixing metal to plastic with cyano, and any joints which are successful eventually break when any movement takes place. Only use it now for fixing fine details

Strangely it always seems to stick fingers to anything - it must be surface roughness which assists adhesion

Ron 

SWMBO is watching Ninja Warrior UK on TV, and just said that it is being shown in Manchester Central - It has been re-clad with a different glazing arrangement since its days as a railway station   

SWMBO is watching Ninja Warrior UK on TV, and just said that it is being shown in Manchester Central - It has been re-clad with a different glazing arrangement since its days as a railway station   

Explains why that policeman was up on the roof Ron! Can't have those cheeky little blighters swinging from the roof when the trains are running!

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Strangely it always seems to stick fingers to anything - it must be surface roughness which assists adhesion

Ron 

Don't forget, the original Cyanoacrylate adhesive was specifically designed to bond human flesh - it was first developed as a wound closure.

It works best where the surfaces to be bonded have some moisture on them, it is a chemical reaction between water and the molecules in the resin which cause it to form the tight chains which create the bond.

As a consequence, breathing on the surfaces before applying the adhesive can promote a better bond.

Al.

Hi, Gary

Have great problems fixing metal to plastic with cyano, and any joints which are successful eventually break when any movement takes place. Only use it now for fixing fine details

Ron 

Hi Ron

Good to see things are moving along again.

I think Araldite (regular) is a much better adhesive for metal-to-plastic joints.  You get a lot more time for adjusting components into precise position, and it seems to absorb shocks a lot better than cyano.  It's also easier to remove surplus adhesive squeezed out from joints (isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud works well).

Andy

Got pushed off course by SWMBO - had to install a 6m x 3m x 2.4m aluminium pergola by the pool, and then start preparation of the ground in the front garden for the laying of artificial grass and foundations for the outdoor section of the railway

Anyway have now completed the glazing on the west side of the train shed roof

For those interested in numbers (Horsetan) - that's 3632  20th x 20th x 28mm microstrip glazing bars/just over 8 pks of Slaters 1005B microstrip/almost 102 metres

Now underway on the 3 access walkways for the west side

• Like 5

....have now completed the glazing on the west side of the train shed roof

For those interested in numbers (Horsetan) - that's 3632  20th x 20th x 28mm microstrip glazing bars/just over 8 pks of Slaters 1005B microstrip/almost 102 metres

My jaw is still on the floor.

To quote Han Solo in the empire strikes back.... "Never tell me the odds"... It is up there with the number of hours it takes me to build a etched brass loco! Ron you still have my admiration for the modelling you do!

If Ron Heggs can walk on water I wouldn't be the bit suprised. This man is pure genius.

I've been a professional model maker for over 40 years now and have never seen anything like it, anything that evens come close and I doubt that I ever will.

Gushing comments maybe, but the truth nevertheless.

Allan Downes standing in awe.

• Like 11

If Ron Heggs can walk on water I wouldn't be the bit suprised. This man is pure genius.

I've been a professional model maker for over 40 years now and have never seen anything like it, anything that evens come close and I doubt that I ever will....

....and certainly nothing that vast, built so quickly.

With such a large and superbly realistic model, all the various structural detail and components aren't just there for show, they will be performing exactly the same engineering function as their counterparts on the original.

Have you taken any special precautions to stop the base of the supports splaying outwards under the load of the glazing, etc.? In the prototype, that function will have been performed by the foundations for the supports, and/or crossmembers linking opposite ends of each arch to tie them together to stop the weight of the roof collapsing the arch, but your model looks to be freestanding. I believe at St Pancras, the arch is tied together at "floor level" with the track and platforms laid on top of the tie structure, I don't know if that also applies to Manchester Central.

Edited by GoingUnderground

I've been a professional model maker for over 40 years now and have never seen anything like it, anything that evens come close and I doubt that I ever will.

Gushing comments maybe, but the truth nevertheless.

Allan Downes standing in awe.

Thank you Alan for your much appreciated comments

There are somethings I wouldn't attempt, although I might research them, just for interest

Ron

• Like 3

Have you taken any special precautions to stop the base of the supports splaying outwards under the load of the glazing, etc.? In the prototype, that function will have been performed by the foundations for the supports, and/or crossmembers linking opposite ends of each arch to tie them together to stop the weight of the roof collapsing the arch, but your model looks to be freestanding. I believe at St Pancras, the arch is tied together at "floor level" with the track and platforms laid on top of the tie structure, I don't know if that also applies to Manchester Central.

Apparently, all the forces were taken by the foundations which were some 3m below platform level - there were no horizontal ties involved as at St Pancras

The model structure was built to be freestanding. However, to ensure movement of the individual spans does not take place, each span leg has been fixed with Araldite to the platform bases

The only additional loading required after the access walkways are fitted, will be the suspended overhead lighting, comprising 32 pendant units. These will be constructed from nanoLEDs with fine supply wires

Ron

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having just enjoyed Ron and Barbara's hospitality and seen the layout in all it's glory, all I can say is that the photographs in these posts do not convey the enormity of the project. To open the door into into the railway room and be confronted by the vista before you, Castlefields warehouse to the left, Central ahead and the viaducts to the right, it truly is an impressive sight.

I'm sure he wont mind me saying, but, considering Ron is a relative newcomer to the hobby, to have taken this on, with all the trials and tribulations of living some 1500 miles from his "local" model shop, quite apart from the preparatory construction work which has been carried out, is no mean feet. The quality of workmanship is superb as the pictures testify, and Ron is to be congratulated on his achievements.

Ultimately when the return loop is completed, sitting outside watching the trains go by will most enjoyable.

As civil engineering continues apace, with tracklaying not to be started until all the structures are completed, I admire Ron's restraint, I, like many others I'm sure, would be itching to start playing trains as soon as possible.

All in all a masterpiece in the making.

Mike.

• Like 5

Having just enjoyed Ron and Barbara's hospitality and seen the layout in all it's glory, all I can say is that the photographs in these posts do not convey the enormity of the project. To open the door into into the railway room and be confronted by the vista before you, Castlefields warehouse to the left, Central ahead and the viaducts to the right, it truly is an impressive sight.

I'm sure he wont mind me saying, but, considering Ron is a relative newcomer to the hobby, to have taken this on, with all the trials and tribulations of living some 1500 miles from his "local" model shop, quite apart from the preparatory construction work which has been carried out, is no mean feet. The quality of workmanship is superb as the pictures testify, and Ron is to be congratulated on his achievements.

Ultimately when the return loop is completed, sitting outside watching the trains go by will most enjoyable.

As civil engineering continues apace, with tracklaying not to be started until all the structures are completed, I admire Ron's restraint, I, like many others I'm sure, would be itching to start playing trains as soon as possible.

All in all a masterpiece in the making.

Mike.

Thanks Mike for your much appreciated comments

It was most enjoyable to have the first visitor to view the layout - especially a RMWebber - and to see the future routing of the track taking form outside in the garden

Looking forward to your future visits when you are in the area again, and thanks again for playing postman

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just after Mike's visit, I went and injured my back moving the remainder of 4 tonnes of sand in the front garden for the laying of artificial grass. Whilst I could move around OK, couldn't sit down for more than a couple of minutes at a time - no that wasn't due to pressure from SWMBO to complete the garden landscaping

Modelling standing up is no joke, it just causes more pain in different muscles - Now almost fully recovered, and have started to complete the remaining access walkways for the train shed roof

Whilst searching for items to make the 32 overhead platform light reflectors, found that the individual bubbles in the bubble packaging for some of the tablets I have to take are just the right shape and size - it will be another 4 weeks before there will be enough (one a day) to make a start on producing the lights - in the meantime the platform bases construction will be started

Ron