RMweb

Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

I hoped there was some detail in the background of some of the other shots, but obviously not which is a shame.

Perhaps access might be better if/when the works near Potato Wharf have finished; although my work trips to Manchester have now finished.

Hi, Richard

Not to worry, thank you for your photos which will come in handy, and your interest in my modelling

I have had two offers of help so far so not all is lost

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ron, I have some original engineering drawings of the bridge over the Lune at Lancaster that the Midland built in 1911. This gives details of platework, rivets and the jack arches that supported the deck with the ballast on. If you think this is of any use I might be able to get them to you. I got them from the , now retired, Lancashire County Council Bridge engineer as the Council have built a road on the top of the railway bridge. You might be able to get similar plans from metrolink who will have got them from BR when they took the structure over. I've used mine to produce the etching artwork that;s on my Lancaster green Ayre thread.

Jamie

Hi Ron, I have some original engineering drawings of the bridge over the Lune at Lancaster that the Midland built in 1911. This gives details of platework, rivets and the jack arches that supported the deck with the ballast on. If you think this is of any use I might be able to get them to you. I got them from the , now retired, Lancashire County Council Bridge engineer as the Council have built a road on the top of the railway bridge. You might be able to get similar plans from metrolink who will have got them from BR when they took the structure over. I've used mine to produce the etching artwork that;s on my Lancaster green Ayre thread.

Jamie

Hi, Jamie

Thanks for the offer of the drawings, I can't think of a use of them to me at present

I will take up your suggestion of contacting Metrolink

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Premium

I'm certain that when the viaduct was transferred the original construction drawings would have been supplied. The ones that i got had all been microfilmed by the County Council.

Jamie

GMCRO have a diagram for the MSJ&AR viaduct (drawing A/MSJA/1/7), but nothing for the others.

But like a lot of their stuff that I've seen to do with Manchester Central (and close area), it's not in very good condition.

Will be away for the rest of the week, so will leave you with the some pictures, etc. of the modelling of the first pier XX, which is a single pier located on the south side and at the eastern end of the viaduct -

A few photos provided by 65179

40_141715_140000003.jpg

View of Piers BB

40_141715_130000002.jpg

Closer View of Piers BB

40_141715_130000001.jpg

View of upper part Piers AA to the left

40_141715_120000000.jpg

View of under bridge detail at Piers AA to the left

© Copyright of the above photographs remains with 65179

Revised and updated drawing showing location of Piers -

40_141712_360000003.png

Whilst waiting for the bulk plastic delivery, I have started the build with the first of the piers, the single pier XX

This will be used to establish a construction process for all the remaining piers

40_141712_350000002.jpg

40_141758_330000000.jpg

The cutting list -

40mm OD PVC pipe 140mm long

20thou plasticard 127.5mm x 17mm

20thou plasticard 130.3mm x 17mm

20thou plasticard 142mm x 5mm

40thou plasticard 137mm x 6mm

40thou plasticard 55.5mm OD/40.5mm ID annulus

40_141807_010000000.jpg

First fixing the 20thou plasticard 127.5mm x 17mm strip

40_141807_540000000.jpg

.. then the 20thou plasticard 130.3mm x 17mm strip

40_141808_280000000.jpg

.. and the 20thou plasticard 142mm x 5mm strip

40_141758_340000004.jpg

and the 40thou plasticard 137mm x 6mm strip

40_141800_230000000.jpg

and finally the 40thou plasticard 55.5mm OD/40.5mm ID annulus

The size of the common uPVC waste pipe is spot on at 40mm dia for a 10 foot dia pier, and the 3mm thickness makes it a substantial support and the weight enables a low centre of gravity for the structure

To enable better adhesion of the styrene to the PVC, the pipe is treated with MEK (Butonone) to prime the surface by removing the PVC surface skin

The first two 20thou strips are used to produce a 40thou lamination (easier to curve). One end is tacked to the pipe, and allowed to go off, and then the strip is brushed with Plastic Weld little by little as it is wound round the pipe, and finally the end held closed against the pipe with the back of the knife blade. To ensure the strip is firmly stuck a light wipe with PW around the top and bottom edges finishes the job

The second strip is easier to fix following the same process, but with the joint slightly offset from the first

The narrower 40thou strip ends are gentle pre-curved, and fixed using the same procedure as previously, with the joint offset again. When firmly fixed and dry any slight joint peaks which are apparent can be filed smooth

The next step is to fill the area below the annulus with moulding clay and produce a concave fillet

The modelling clay is similar to plasticene - 500g for £1.50

40_150659_130000000.jpg

40_150659_390000000.jpg

40_150659_550000000.jpg

The grey discolouration is from the moulding tool (an old aluminium scalpel holder)

The surface will by cleaned up after the clay has hardened

Now for the second level of pier decoration -

A 20thou x 7mm wide plasticard strip is fixed 16mm below the top of the pipe/pier

then a 40thou plasticard square 51mm x 51mm with a 40.5 mm dia hole is fixed on top of the previous strip

40_151119_230000000.jpg

40_151119_230000001.jpg

View of underside

40_151119_240000002.jpg

A fillet of modelling clay is moulded into position, and left to harden

40_151119_240000003.jpg

A template is made to enable the marking-off of the flutes, which pass vertically through each side of this upper level

40_151119_240000004.jpg

Using a fine saw blade (31 tpi) cutting from the plasticard face, the 3 flutes are produced

Cleaning up the edges and faces with a narrow bladed craft knife

40_151119_450000000.jpg

The flutes on the three other faces will be cut in the same way

Final cleaning up will be carried out before painting

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 3

I really like the way you break the task down and give very useful stepped explanations

The modelling clay you used could solve a problem for me with cornicing on station buildings I will be modelling

Is there a trade name to ask for or supplier ?- I am only familiar with with DAS?

Looking forward to the next bits!

Many thanks

Bob Hughes

Wouldn't it be simpler to join all these holes together and make it into a trench :laugh:

Colin

I haven't got a big bottom jaw, but there was a very loud thud just now. Just need to make another space in the trench.blink.gif Outstanding!

If we all drop our jaws into the same trench - does it become trenchant? laugh.gif

Wikipedia -

1. 1. (obsolete) Fitted to trench or cut; gutting; sharp.
  2. (figuratively) Keen; biting; vigorously effective and articulate; severe; as, trenchant wit.

I particularly like the vigorously effective bit. Of course Ron has keenly articulated the real thing using very small pieces of plastic into a work of art. yes.gif

Can you all please find you own holes.

By the time my jaw has dropped it's already full off someone elses. :rolleyes:

The problem is with Ron, is that he makes it all sound so simple :huh:

Dave

Hi, All

Just back from my walking jaunt to Wet Southern Spain, will commence the modelling tomorrow once my feet have learnt to stop moving through the mud :unsure:

Thanks for all your jaw-dropping comments, very much appreciate the thoughts behind them all yes.gif, I thought I was slugging through a continuous muddy trench rolleyes.gif

drinks.gif

Cheers

Your dedication to small detail is amazing. I'm sure I saw similar architecture on the Liverpool & Manchester from the window on an ambulance when I was being brought home the long way around from Liverpool to N.Wales.

Hi, Larry

Thanks for your comments

There are a number of similarly designed bridge structures still around, The Midland Railway appear to have standardised around 1860-1900, on this particular type of structure

The Irlam Deviation Viaduct, 1893 over the Manchester Ship Canal was one which springs to mind. The bridge was a single span of approx 365 metres, and tested using 10 MS&LR locomotives weighing a total of some 750 tons

Not all the bridges have been recorded on photographs in accessible archives

Cheers

Ron