Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Ron, I'm aware of similar sockets with an 0.05" pitch (1.27 mm) should you need them.

Thanks. I can only find the Male variety so far. The Female arrangement would be most valuable for all the signals, lighting masts, etc.

Ron

Hello Ron,

have a look on the Technobots web site (www,technobots.co.uk). Then look in electronics > connectors & headers > female PCB headers. The female headers start at 2 pin up to 20 in a single row or 40 in twin rows. The prices are quite good starting at 5p going up to £1.44 for a 3 X 8 connector. I'm sure that you'll spend a happy hour looking at some of the bits on sale.

OzzyO.

Hello Ron,

have a look on the Technobots web site (www,technobots.co.uk). Then look in electronics > connectors & headers > female PCB headers. The female headers start at 2 pin up to 20 in a single row or 40 in twin rows. The prices are quite good starting at 5p going up to £1.44 for a 3 X 8 connector. I'm sure that you'll spend a happy hour looking at some of the bits on sale.

OzzyO.

Do you mean this address?: http://www.technobotsonline.com/

If not, sorry.

Cheers,

BR(W).

With just 49 transverse beams remaining to be constructed for the Train shed, I thought why not try using the cutting machine to increase productivity

First redraw the beam structure in three separate layers, and produce arrays of items to fit 20thou styrene sheet 305mm x 225mm –

post-10633-0-87914400-1391365089_thumb.png

26 - Inner layers & 4 type #2 Outer layers

post-10633-0-92952100-1391365093_thumb.png

26 type #1 & 16 type #2 Outer layers - extra cut lines added to ease removal

Then cut 2 sheets of each, plus an extra sheet with just type #2 Outer layers 

Examples of the three separate layers –

post-10633-0-84189900-1391364679_thumb.jpg

The top beam is a typical hand cut - piece by piece example

…. and laminated –

post-10633-0-53321500-1391364708_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-35532200-1391364734_thumb.jpg

The top and bottom flanges need fixing, then all is complete

• Like 9

I do hope it's not tempting fate to suggest that it's over 4 days since we heard anything, and after your recent healthscare I hope all is OK, Ron?

Andy

Hi, Andy

Thanks for your concern - one of the effects of taking all the pills is they make me tired - so modelling is going slower than expected, even with the efficiency gains using the cutter

Have about twenty five beams to complete with the last of the small flange pieces - Should have all 51 complete tomorrow, then I can start assembling all the remaining roof spans, etc.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 4

Know all about meds that make you feel sick and tired. Bored with being sick and tired now!

You should be proud - your methods of multi-layering has reached the depths of Brisbane in Australia. I have just designed a bridge for one of my layouts that needs five layers to create the curved span next to the tracks and three layers to create each under arch. A large plastic bag of laser cut parts that make up into a much more complicated and accurate model than I would have ever achieved using my usual methods. I really must do all this in a CAD programme though - inaccuracies come into the cutting when some of the lines are inside the box (my choice) and some are created straddling the outline (designing with bezier curves), etc.

• Like 1

The new machine must make these sorts of jobs a real breeze now! Being able to design, cut and build a complete train roof in a couple of days must be a revelation.

My attempt at the Ron factor -

post-6702-0-44279400-1391827844.jpg

Edited by artizen
  • Like 7

The new machine must make these sorts of jobs a real breeze now! Being able to design, cut and build a complete train roof in a couple of days must be a revelation.

My attempt at the Ron factor -

attachicon.gifP1080772 800px.jpg

Hi, Ian

Looking good

Are these for the trackside over arch ? Which of your various layouts is this for ?

Now don't leave us in suspense. When you are ready, show us the completed bridge

-

The span beams were already built awaiting the smaller transverse beams (17 per bay). I think 2 days per roof section is rushing it a bit, even for me

Cheers

Ron

The fixing of the over arch ties is in progress -

post-10633-0-26231100-1391860276_thumb.jpg

The ties are fixed on the top of first transverse beam, and using two spacers the first tie is fixed onto the next transverse beam

The spacers ensure the transverse beams are spaced uniformily, and the ties follow a linear path over the roof

post-10633-0-89827100-1391860337_thumb.jpg

The second tie is fixed using the spacers

post-10633-0-93296500-1391860366_thumb.jpg

... then the third tie

post-10633-0-21224700-1391860395_thumb.jpg

... and the fourth tie

post-10633-0-56090000-1391860426_thumb.jpg

This picture shows how the ties curve over the roof arch, and await fixing using the same two spacers

The ties will be completed tonight, and then the windbracing will be installed

• Like 9

Windbracing? Does this mean you need to get a blower vac and test it for wind strength as well as a weight test?  :sungum:

In answer to your reply to my photo of the Ron factor - the bridge is quite small as it is for a 1:24 scale Gn15 layout I am building called The Steamy Pudding. Once I finish the photographic plank for my range of 7/8ths scale rolling stock, I will be hopefully getting back to The Steamy Pudding. Not sure if that sort of layout would go down too well on the layouts section of rmweb though!

The bracing ties fitted -

post-10633-0-83805200-1391976986_thumb.jpg

The overhanging transverse beams either end of the roof section will have the bracing ties fitted when the roof section is fixed to the adjacent roof section and gable end

... windbracing next

• Like 7

As this section of the roof is approx. 850mm x 800mm, fitting the braces on the underside is a bit tricky and arm & back stretching

A simple setup makes life a little easier -

post-10633-0-84146100-1392048670_thumb.jpg

The roof is suspended, underside facing, on a rectangular section of aluminium tube off two chairs. This enables close-up working at comfortable height whilst seated. The working area can be varied by moving the tube to a different place within the roof structure, and the roof can be reversed top to bottom to give access to the extremities 

post-10633-0-89948600-1392048696_thumb.jpg

... 25% complete, even if you cannot see the small bracings

• Like 4