Turkish 8Fs about to move from Portbury

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I don't know too much about this, but the link to the Bristol railway forum: http://www.bristol-rail.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2116&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 indicates that the two ex-Turkish Stanier 8Fs are about to move from Portbury docks very soon. In fact, I now understand that one is to move (may have already started) today, and the remaining one on Friday.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting that, it's an interesting read with some good images. Much better looking locos than the others that have just been shipped in.

shot of 45166 in Turkey in 1984

http://michaelpope935.fotopic.net/p68540251.html

I know nothing about this so could someone please tell what is planned for them, hopefully to be restored? if so are they to be restored in Turkish guise, would be nice and different if they did.

also, slightly on topic, wasnt there a couple of green ones rusting away in Irag or Iran in the 1990s? seem to remember an article in a mag, just wondered what happened to them

Mike

also, slightly on topic, wasnt there a couple of green ones rusting away in Irag or Iran in the 1990s? seem to remember an article in a mag, just wondered what happened to them

Mike

At least one was seen as late as 2003 when they got rid of Sadam I believe. I did see the odd photo but it's all gone quiet since then.

Bernard

At least one was seen as late as 2003 when they got rid of Sadam I believe. I did see the odd photo but it's all gone quiet since then.

Apparently the railways in Iraq are quite interesting to work with - a year or so back I heard about one recruiter looking for engineers to assist with some work rail work in Iraq, silly money with a rather large completion bonus at the end of your contract. I bet it would have been an experience of a lifetime but not something I could ever consider with a wife with a child on the way.

• RMweb Gold

Apparently the railways in Iraq are quite interesting to work with - a year or so back I heard about one recruiter looking for engineers to assist with some work rail work in Iraq, silly money with a rather large completion bonus at the end of your contract. I bet it would have been an experience of a lifetime but not something I could ever consider with a wife with a child on the way.

A pal of mine got involved with them in a minor way while OHMS and the US Govt had thrown an extremely large amount of money at the Basra - Baghdad route but seemed - according to my pal - to be steadfastly ignoring many of the skills available locally while themselves lacking in such basic skills as the ability to re-rail a wagon (something a squad of Geordies and a few locals sorted in 20 minutes or sowink.gif). So a nice new railway to work on plus capable and competent locals but also other locals who are not quite so welcoming and - at that time anyway - were showing quite an aptitude for explosive modification of trackwork.

Ah memories of 45160 (Turkish number) when it originally arrived at Swanage all those years ago - must have had every possible screw thread known to man, and some homemade, hope the guys involved with the other 2 have fun.

Ah memories of 45160 (Turkish number) when it originally arrived at Swanage all those years ago - must have had every possible screw thread known to man, and some homemade, hope the guys involved with the other 2 have fun.

Ha it was a couple of years back we were at Eastleigh and were watching some footage of the 8F and it sounded very out of beat!

Ha it was a couple of years back we were at Eastleigh and were watching some footage of the 8F and it sounded very out of beat!

'Not arf', the 'Churchill' was run only because one of the main shareholders of the loco at the time had a fair bit of 'clout' at Swanage, much to the annoyance of the majority of us that thought the loco not suitable to run, one argument in it's favour was shortage of locos in steam at the time, but never the less the loco soon failed :D . Needless to say that shareholder left not long after - much to everyones releif. But as a great fan of Stanier, you just can't have too many of his locos.

• RMweb Gold

I know nothing about this so could someone please tell what is planned for them, hopefully to be restored? if so are they to be restored in Turkish guise, would be nice and different if they did.

That would be nice for them to be not to be re-anglicised.

• RMweb Gold

shot of 45166 in Turkey in 1984

http://michaelpope935.fotopic.net/p68540251.html

45170 will be spending a few months on display at Shildon before going to Ian Storey's works at Hepscott for overhaul once 76084's restoration is completed. 45166 will for the time being be going into secure storage in the shed at Barry occupied by the remaining 'Barry Ten' locos.

45170 will be spending a few months on display at Shildon before going to Ian Storey's works at Hepscott for overhaul once 76084's restoration is completed. 45166 will for the time being be going into secure storage in the shed at Barry occupied by the remaining 'Barry Ten' locos.

A good excuse to pop down the road (well, about 10 miles!) to see it - nice one :)

Archived