Turkish 8Fs about to move from Portbury

Captain Kernow

Guest Max Stafford

Will you lot stop shouting? I can't hear me'self think! :D

Actually, it would be nice if these locos were kept 'Turked up' It would certainly look different. Maybe the Nene Valley or GCR should look out for one of the old BR58s or Vulcans - that would be eye catching and might just be in gauge for those railways too! ;)

Dave.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The new series of Monster moves on the History channel, (Sky and Virgin only, I think) looks as if it will be covering the Turkish 8F moves in the next week or so.

There should be some interesting stuff, but there will also be lots of silly "disaster scenario" animations and singing if the Spitfire episode is anything to go by.

Dave

HI

These two loco where on TV the other night,showing how they got them by rail across Turkey :blink: Amazing program, so glade these guys did bring them back, i take my hat off to them.

Darren

HI

These two loco where on TV the other night,showing how they got them by rail across Turkey :blink: Amazing program, so glade these guys did bring them back, i tack my hat off to them.

Darren

Can you remember which programme as I would like to watch this via catch up TV.

As there are already 8F 2-8-0s in preservation perhaps a boiler could be used to re-create a 1933 Stanier mogul - which had a boiler of identical external dimensions according to Haresnape's "Stanier Locomotives". OK the Stanier moguls had domeless boilers but as a domed 8F boiler has already been mooted for a re-creation of a GWR County 4-6-0 ,it seems possible.

Ian

As there are already 8F 2-8-0s in preservation perhaps a boiler could be used to re-create a 1933 Stanier mogul - which had a boiler of identical external dimensions according to Haresnape's "Stanier Locomotives". OK the Stanier moguls had domeless boilers but as a domed 8F boiler has already been mooted for a re-creation of a GWR County 4-6-0 ,it seems possible.

Ian

I don't really follow this? There is already a stanier mogul preserved? Unless there is another type that I am unaware of?

Ian

Re: Stanier Mogul

Thanks - I didn't know there was a preserved one ! I should have read Haresnape's "Stanier Locomotives" a bit more carefully - there's a photo of the preserved loco.

Don't you just love those Homer Simpson moments? :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I beleive there is a programme on Channel 5 this evening (Tuesday), about 8pm, part of a series called Titanic Moves. The story of moving these locos accross Turkey for their trip back to the UK.

Bob

If there was ever a thought of naming these two 8Fs, 'Ron Jarvis' and 'Fred Soden' would be memorials to the work of the two men who went out with the 8F kits and oversaw the re-erection of the locos, some in Egypt, most in Turkey, and in the latter country then got them running to their new owner's satisfaction, among other adventures. That's the same Mr Jarvis who would later head the redesign and alteration of the Bulleid pacifics into their rebuilt form, the last hurrah of significant steam loco design and construction under BR.

• RMweb Premium

I beleive there is a programme on Channel 5 this evening (Tuesday), about 8pm, part of a series called Titanic Moves. The story of moving these locos accross Turkey for their trip back to the UK.

Bob

Just watched that. Quite interesting.

How did the bearing metal manage to fall out of the bearing?

I got the impression that TCCD hadn't got a clue how much horsepower was needed to move those two locos over the hills as they stalled twice in the footage shown, the first with the loco expiring in a shower of electrical sparks!

Keith

the first with the loco expiring in a shower of electrical sparks!
Those were not electrical sparks, just the results of the wheel treads grinding the rails away, the P-way gang would not have been happy when they found the resulting wheel burns.

Regards

Keith

Just watched that. Quite interesting.

How did the bearing metal manage to fall out of the bearing?

I got the impression that TCCD hadn't got a clue how much horsepower was needed to move those two locos over the hills as they stalled twice in the footage shown, the first with the loco expiring in a shower of electrical sparks!

Keith

I found the speed at which they hauled the dead locos somewhat alarming, especially as they had been standing in dry conditions for some time. Running for any time after losing a bearing like that will not have done any good to the remaining half-bearing, the frames or the wheelset; it would have hammered the track as well.

I would suggest that we don't knock TCCD as could you see Network Rail and a TOC being so obliging.

It's not a case of how helpful they've been, more a case of what the possible consequences of their actions might be. A failed bearing causing an axle to break would derail the train, and cause a heck of a lot of damage to the track- I've seen the mess when this happens.

• RMweb Premium

Those were not electrical sparks, just the results of the wheel treads grinding the rails away, the P-way gang would not have been happy when they found the resulting wheel burns.

Regards

Keith

That was what was said at first, later comments by the team seem to suggest electrical failure. That's why I commented.

I was amazed that there was no walkie-talkie communication between the Loco crew and the 8Fs, hence the later posts about the speed which was supposed to be 40kph and was quite obviously much higher!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I can't belive the locos weren't given a basic service to make sure they were ready to travel before being shunted onto the first train. Surely they should have tested the brake-pipes were air-tight and the bearings were OK before they were moved.

It's also not suprising that the rust was minimal - Turkey's a lot drier than the UK.

Personally, I can't help but think the £100,000 they spent on buying and repatriating the locos would have been better spent getting some of the locos rusting away all over the UK back up and running. It'd be nice to see one restored and then sent back to Turkey - they are part of Turkish railway history after all.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

But it didn't happen, so again all credit to TCCD.

Had the locos not been travelling so fast, then it is quite likely that the bearing would not have flirted out in the first place. My recollection of the rules for moving shunting locos dead-in-train on BR is that they were limited to 20 or 25 mph (about the equivalent of the 40 kph the Turkish convoy was meant to be moved at) and they had to be stopped for examination every hour or so. It was the closure of the loops necessary for such things that meant that these transfers went over to road.

Indeed, TCDD should be praised for having accepted such a movement in the first place; however, the execution (including excessive speed, apparently inadequate traction and absence of communication between driver and the people on board the two locos) did not reflect well on them.

Archived