Glasgow Queen Street '88

DavidM

Hi All,

After a bit of time bubbling under the surface in the Prototypes area, and after a few "you really should start a thread" comments....here goes nothing!

The layout is based on Glasgow Queen Street station in 1988. We've decided to pin down the year as it lets us get away with lots of first gen units withdrawn in either 1988 or 1989 (104s, 120s etc) alongside the more common prototypes, as well as being the final year of 37/4 dominated workings on the WHL....and also it was the year I was born! biggrin.gif

After a few months of research, downloading and scrutinising far too many photos under a magnifying glass, it was time to get the track pins out. The fiddleyards are 're-heated' from a previous uncompleted layout hence the different types of sleepers, being once the up and down WCML respectively!

post-7341-0-89410600-1294607542_thumb.jpg

This is the view from above the entrance to Cowlairs Tunnel, showing the fan of trackwork along with a few services in the platforms. All track is Peco Code 100 and has been laid with the help of aireal photos from the period....which is quite tough considering how much of the track layout is covered by canopy and bridges in real life! The intention is to use Fulgrex point motors on the front of the layout with the fiddle yards remaining hand operated.

post-7341-0-05183300-1294607747_thumb.jpg

A photo of the layout in it's entirity....As said before, the fiddle yards are ex-Roundy Roundy hence the partially ignored markings for tracklaying laugh.gif. The third radius curves 'inside' Cowlairs tunnel are only laid temporarily at the moment to allow a brief playing session - these will be fully covered when the layout is complete.

I'm sure Chris will be along to say a few more words on the layouts construction soon enough, but for now here's a few more pics that hopefully give a feel for what we're trying to achieve....

post-7341-0-17119600-1294608895_thumb.jpg

post-7341-0-34586900-1294608896_thumb.jpg

post-7341-0-47317300-1294608897_thumb.jpg

Dave M

Howdo all, so far GQS has taken the team (me, Dave and Flex) roughly a year to plan and about 3-4 months to get to the stage in the photos above.

Eventually all the locos and DMUS will be sound chipped well I say that 90% or the loco fleet is sound chipped so we really have to concentrate on the DMUs, the layout is controlled using Lenz 100 and the points will be controlled through the route setter on the ECoS.

Also to add a bit of differnce to the layout we are aiming to have 90% of the stock renumberd and customised so we have no 'out of the box' stock on the layout, the same is to be done with sounds for the locos, these will all be custom to our selves so when we are at shows you don't hear the same loco on every other layout,

In the next day or two I'll get some shots up for you all showing the differnt items if stock we have already in the workshop

Thanks for now

chris & the GQS '88 team

i will be watching this one as i frequently use Glasgow Queen Street when i am up in Scotland visiting my girlfriend and by the looks of it you have captured the track layout very well! But i think there is some more points along the track a bit so that trains can traverse to the other platforms. Apart from that it is looking good!!!!!

Hi ian the track plan we have laid is taken from the latest quail map and also crossreferanced with photos taken in and around 88 so the track plan is perfect for'88 Honestly it's right my self, dave and flex have spent many hours planning and arguing about it :/

hope that helps

chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi ian the track plan we have laid is taken from the latest quail map and also crossreferanced with photos taken in and around 88 so the track plan is perfect for'88 Honestly it's right my self, dave and flex have spent many hours planning and arguing about it :/

hope that helps

chris

I agree, the plan is correct, the tracks through the tunnel mouth MUST be bidirectional, reference this photo http://dennistaylor.fotopic.net/p64605583.html

Andi

I agree, the plan is correct, the tracks through the tunnel mouth MUST be bidirectional, reference this photo http://dennistaylor..../p64605583.html

Andi

As no doubt you'll know Andi, the lines were bi-directional long before they were signalled as such all the way up the incline - thanks to the crossovers in the tunnel. Assuming it's just being modelled up to the tunnel mouth the track layout is generally correct after the Platform 1 and the adjacent original Carriage Sidings had been "simplified".

post-6691-0-95198700-1294645657_thumb.jpg

(Copyright BR Residual......)

Hi Guys,

I will be watching your progress with this, it's looking good so far.B) I have some good memories of Queen Street, there always seemed to be plenty going on lots of 37s, and DMUs sending up smoke rings. I remember have a few lamb kebab burgers from the 'Cassey Jones' burger bar.:D

Posted before but you can't beat a 37 thrashing out of the station and storming up the incline.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-85022600-1294649565_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-14437600-1294649617_thumb.jpg

Hi

“Uuua uaa Jimmy†he said as he eyed up the pile of cans of McEwan's Export, placed on the platform, having been brought from the offy in Buchanan street, “u uaa, ara†want a can? ok mate have one. My friend, myself and our new acquaintance stood on the end of the Queen street platform, drinking beer and waiting for the departure of the Glasgow portion of the internal sleeper to Inverness. 37408, stood at the front of the train, on a freezing cold night in January 1989, the air was heavy, and the half burnt diesel stung your eyes. Just then the guard blew up, and we headed for the front coach expecting our new Glaswegian friend to follow, instead he headed for the loco, he was the driver!!, the resulting Cowlairs thrash was that good it was shifting the dirt from the tunnel roof that was then raining down on the stock, absolutely awesome

Hope you can capture the atmosphere, it looks good so far.

From the other end of the line (Glenuig)

Gary

These are the kind of memories we intend people to relive :) im glad you all like it so far much Blood sweat and tears have gone into it since the start date and im expecting many more!!!!

We intend GQS to be a 'propper layout' as it was in '88 if you remember, plenty of DMUS and loco hauld stock, my self dave and flex have reluctantly spent much cash on Dmus :( but there needed!!!

so far we have:

2- 101's

2- 107's

1- 108

1- 120

1- HST

and i know its a little early but the ED route learning/sandite 122, all at differnt stages of life but getting there!!!!!

There will be 3 differnt MK3 shove rakes and 2 Aberdeen shove sets and then the fort 'bill and Oban sets that are already completed with final ajustmants being added! Also with a Scratch/rail tour rake chucked in,

We have all IS 37s and all but 3 ED 37/4's to play with and a small veriaty of duffs with a few more to be added :P

Shove duff wise we currently have:

with 705 to shortly follow...

In the coming months we will be working on the rest of the wiring and then putting the point motors on and getting the Colour light signals finally commisioned and installed, once we are finally satisfied with the layout running with signals and points then the wrok will commence on the platforms and other buildings

In the next day or two im going to draw up the plans for the building on the end of platform 7 and start constuction when happy!

Thanks for now and damn i could have done with that track plan months back :lol: that would have saved a few heated debates :P

Chris & the GQS '88 TEAM

As no doubt you'll know Andi, the lines were bi-directional long before they were signalled as such all the way up the incline - thanks to the crossovers in the tunnel. Assuming it's just being modelled up to the tunnel mouth the track layout is generally correct after the Platform 1 and the adjacent original Carriage Sidings had been "simplified".

As far as we could work out Bob the carriage sidings were taken out by '88 and what we have modelled is pretty much correct... I hope but all the photos seem to point towards the plan being right, if i remember they were taken out in '87 or there abouts and then simplified to what we have modeled. Somewhere on the net theres a photo of a tractor bringing in some Grampus wagons and then another photo of a 26 in platform one one grampus taking them out... so im guessing thats when they were redoing the track work,

But if anyone can shed any light on this PLEASEEEEEE do because its confusing the hell out if us lot...

Graham, the layout Might make it to the 2011 LY show but we want to take it steady so we dont mess anything up! Theres a very good chance itll make 2012 tho, but You, Glen and Alex are more than welcome to come up at some point with some stock and have a play :) the offers always open!

thanks

Chris

hope that helps

chris

Oh right i am sorry. It ust feels that when we go through the tunnel to Glasgow queen street it feels like that there are points before the points to the platforms thats all. Apart from that it looks good! There is a layout on here called Glasgow George Street that is based on Queen Street.

Hi Again

I think the carriage sidings remained in place until after January 1989, this was the official date for sprinterization of the west highland and some of the other services, out of queen street.

Edit

Come to think of it, I have a photo of the class 26 pilot used to drag the stock in and out taken in 1989, I will have a look when I get home.

Gary

Hi Again

I think the carriage sidings remained in place until after January 1989, this was the official date for sprinterization of the west highland and some of the other services, out of queen street.

Edit

Come to think of it, I have a photo of the class 26 pilot used to drag the stock in and out taken in 1989, I will have a look when I get home.

Gary

Hi Gary et al,

As far as we can ascertain, the two sidings next to Platform 1 were removed in early 1987 - photos of engineers trains in GQS from this period and the layout from 1985-1988 seem to confirm this. The 26 pilot I imagine would have been on the 'Eastfield taxi' duty taking stock to the carriage sidings at the top of Cowlairs incline.

Cheers for the support and images shared on the thread - as Chris has said, a lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into the research to get it 'just right' and hopefully it'll pay off in the long term :)

Dave

Hi again

I think I misunderstood your comment, and thought you were referring to the Eastfield sidings.

Gary

Aha! That makes sense - theres enough sidings been and gone around the GQS/Eastfield area for sure...:(

Dave

Oh right i am sorry. It ust feels that when we go through the tunnel to Glasgow queen street it feels like that there are points before the points to the platforms thats all. Apart from that it looks good! There is a layout on here called Glasgow George Street that is based on Queen Street.

You can find my layout, Glasgow George Square here in the layout topics and large photo archive in the galleries section... very loosely based on QS, but I have very limited space which necessitated some changes, and I wanted to fit in DMU sheds and an MPD too :D

Doug.

I have had a good look at George Square... its a brill layout! and i really like the stock that you have bashed! i have a soft spot my self for Dept stock!!!!

Another update for today, There has been YET another 37/4 added to the fleet with my farther completing 37405 in LL only a few left to go now then the lot is complete :)

more updates to follow soon!

Chris W

Latest update all... i spent some time last night working on a spare Bachmann BSO last night converting it to a BSOT the red stripes have been added and its now just awaiting a number change and passenger's

Also this evening i plan to finnish the transfers of on the DBSO's so they can start appearing in photos on the layout!

If anyone has any Photos or Info related to GQS.... time tables, Rakes, and so on Please share it with us as we need as much Gen as poss!!!

Thanks for now

Chris

Hi Chris

Don't know if you have spotted this, but I have a thread going in prototype questions on West Highland coach formations.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/28679-west-highland-coaching-stock-early-1980s/

I have quite a few photos taken at queen street, somewhere, I think at my mothers I will have a look next time I’m round there.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

not sure of exact dates but think the alterations at Queen Street were to allow room for HST sets, which there previously wasn't?

- the whole 27/47 push-pull story was due to lack of space/time to turn things round properly at Queen St. I believe, no further knowledge other than read it in a book!

Another sucsesful night at the club! GQS was put threw it's paces as we spent 4 hours worth playing!

Everything performed well and a couple other items of stock that had been left out last time came out to play and I must say my self GQS looked hell fire :)

Some more stock also added to the list by the way of 37113 in br blue and the first of 2 DBSO's has been 90% completed

Chris

Not much to update over this last week I'm afraid, i've been busy getting my house ready to move into, Daves been working on some more sound projects and Flex has been planning the starion edges,

But I have found time for one or two little projects

1- converting a bachy BSO into a BSOT which is 99% done

2- chopping the guards door out of another BSO so we can have a guard stood looking out as the train pulls in and out, just somthing differnt,

and I've also been adding passengers to the rolling stock so we don't have empty stock coming and going, this coming week I'm hoping to Finnish off the BSO's and do some weathering, see how it goes :)

Thanks

Chris

As far as we could work out Bob the carriage sidings were taken out by '88 and what we have modelled is pretty much correct... I hope but all the photos seem to point towards the plan being right, if i remember they were taken out in '87 or there abouts and then simplified to what we have modeled. Somewhere on the net theres a photo of a tractor bringing in some Grampus wagons and then another photo of a 26 in platform one one grampus taking them out... so im guessing thats when they were redoing the track work,

But if anyone can shed any light on this PLEASEEEEEE do because its confusing the hell out if us lot...

thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

I can confirm that the carriage sidings next to platlform 1 were removed between March and June 1986 and the end of platform 1 and 2 was reshaped.

Regards,

Bill

(Who is also currently building GQS late 1985/ early '86

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Remember the problem when you run an HST into Queen Street...

It blocks up the crossovers and access to all the other platforms.

The changes in 88 included a crossover inside the tunnel to enable other trains to acces the platforms if an HST was sat in the station.

At about the same time both lines became Bi-directional

Billywhizz - this affects you more than David M and the guys.

HTH!

Archived