Glasgow Queen Street '88

DavidM

Hi Chris,

The shuff duffs look good,B) are they all Bachmann repaints? 47018 looks good in railfreight, I was hoping Bachmann might do one this year and save me a repaint.:D

Cheers Peter.

interesting and excellent micro buffet. Its on my "to-do" list as well. the only problem i have is sourcing prototypes for the no.s. where did you get yours from?

It's quoting from the 1988 combine as they did a few conversions from vacuum Mk2 BSOs with the number series 9102-9107 by ripping a table area out (making 27 seats) for the trolley to sit (9100/9101 were also part of the batch, being Inverness based for Kyle/Far North traffic but kept the normal seat amount of 31, presumably they had it rest in the guards area).

The TSOTs are going to be equally interesting to do, both the Open and Coffin types :lol:

Alex

Cheers Guys for all the comments - it means a heck of a lot!

Peter, all the 47/7s are Bachmann repaints and mods - there's been quite a bit of tank and bodyshell swapping however after looking in depth at Heljan, Bachy and ViTrains 47s before starting the project, we came to the conclusion that the Bachmann example is, in our opinion, the best 'base model' to begin with.

As Chris says, the workshops have been churning out 47s with 47004/018/461/467/541/577/593/614/643/704/705/706/708/709/710/712 and 716 all being done in the last few months. It was our intention to model simply the amount of locos required to operate the layout (around five 'Shoves' and four to five 47/4s) however we've somehow overstepped the mark - i'm sure we've all been there! :blush:

Cheers Derek for the pics - 47578 has been on my 'wishlist' for quite a bit with the Sealed Beam ends however with the correct bodyshell only being available through limited edition, it may be some time yet....it's also this issue that's holding back a rather weatherbeaten 47703 :(

Cheers for now,

Dave

I like the shot of 412. You can actually see where some one has rubbed off where it said failed again. I suppose in that shot, that statement was incorrect but it wouldnt have taken for 412 to disgrace itself.

578 is an interesting one as i did log it myself but tbh i cant remember the marker lights like that. I assume its because that end must have been facing in to the stock.

47636 "Johny Boy" was one i always remember and also 47654 Finsbury Park even though it was a Bath Road loco. ( i believe it went there from ED).

The 47/7 that had shove piggy shove was 704 Dunedin. If i can find the negs (yes i kept them all) i'll see if i can make the photo better to confirm. But given the date on the photo ( i had fancy camera that i could never understand) i did 704 that day from EDI to Queen Street where i dropped onto a rather massive 37100 (at the time for it was a Stratford loco) for a run to Dumbarton where it was swapped with 403 (on an inbound train) as 100 didnt have RETB and then took 100 back to Queen Street. The rest of the day was spent going after 311s.

Them were the days i wish i'd done more. I'll try and get the better shots scanned in but give me a week or two.

Paul

I see you avoided 47637. Quite a sensible move that. 637 was the holy grail for some reason. I copped it at Bristol, Paddington, Brighton and New Street. Also copped it once at Glasgow Central. Came in from the south and then a few hours later was espied going south again through Motherwell.

1988/89 was as i said the only years i really did scotland and even then i stayed in the lowlands. After 1989 i didnt really see the point. There were better pickings for me down south. I still hold those few memories though dear. Still think 33s make more thrash than a 26 though!

This thread has brought all the memories flooding back. Should be good to do some daydreaming tonight as i'm off to Hong Kong tonight to tell Cathay Pacific that they would be better off buying smaller planes than bigger ones. Still someone has to do it. :D :D

Thanks Dave,

I have gone with the Bachmann 47s myself, is your 47004 still in Banger blue I seen to remember that loco with small ED mutt and ploughs think it might have been a steam heat loco up until the late 80s. Are you planning on any non Scottish based Duffs a nice GD 47/4 wouldn't look to out of place.

Hope you don't mind I've added one of mine, plus a Scotttish loco I would like to do. Pictured at the well known Scottish City of Southampton.:lol:

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-80397000-1300871294_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-74598600-1300871376_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info on micro buffets . I sat in a lot at that time but never thought to take any pics for 23 years down the line! 409 looks quite clean to me!( Nice job on her too ) Interesting people say 412 failed alot, always dead gutsy when I had her. To quote a fortwilliam driver I know "409, what a gutless dog!" my mate was gutted when as it's his favourite .

Howdo all, had a good play on GQS tonight, we managed to identify some faults on the wiring which will be sorted next week! We also got some photos of stock and the layout so between my self and DaveM they will be posted up over the coming days

Thanks for the comments and photos added so far chaps if any of you have any GQS photos in your collections please feel free to chuck em up on this thread, it helps with insperation, also please share your memories of the station with us and moves to and from :)

If we manage to make people get nastalgic about the place through the model then I think we are starting to hit the nail on the head

Ta for now

Chris

422 in its early days was a good performer. It was only when EWS spent more time making it all look all nice than making it work that it started going wrong. For me the best failure was 37411 when it failed on the Weymouth workings. I got 37902 from Temple Meads to Westbury and then a very fresh ex works 37298 from Westbury to Weymouth. Sadly 416 was found for the return working in the evening.

Anyway getting back on topic i've started going through all my photos so i should have something to show by the end of the week. The Shove was 704 as theres a shot of a very young me as part of a seminar and the shove piggy shove on the side. I couldnt even remember that. :rolleyes:

Paul

Howdo all,

sorry for the lack of updates/phots, the GQS team have been very busy behind the scenes this last week! we have just taken delivery of all the Numbers for the bog carts, which have been specially commisioned by... i cant remember Dave will fill that blank later! but they are a Very high Quality and seem to be Perfect!! So with the arrival of these im hoping to make a start on the renumbering and weathering and will hopefully have em all done by wednesday! fun, fun, fun

On other news we are still punching on with the retaining wall, with all the final measurments completed for them the instelation will commence very shortly!!!

Ill work on the promised stock pics this weekend!

Ta for now

Chris

• 1 month later...

Howdo all,

Again sorry for the lack of updates, GQS has been somewhat neglected this last month or so, with half of the group embeded in the LYDCC expo team. Now the Manc show is out the way and the wiring on my old mans layout of Kyle of Lochalsh is nearly done maybe... just maybe we can crack on with our layout!

Whats new....

well since i last posted we have been waying up how to model cowlairs, which we are hoping wood will start to be cut for in the coming week,

We have completed a model of 20114 which just need weathering now and i still have a duff in primer (i need to choose a colour yer :blink: i think Large Logo ;) )

Ta for now,

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the large gap in posts, however work continues on GQS after a brief period where attentions have been turned to other priorities (job changes etc)

We have now pretty much settled on using an ESU ECoS system for our signalling/route setting needs, keeping the trusty Lenz 100s as operational controllers alongside the 'hub unit'. Although it may seem a bit excessive, we think it's a happy medium between the overcomplexity of a laptop (for which we've never really found a DCC route setting system that does what we want as well as the ECoS) and the basicness of simply throwing the points and changing the signals on the Lenz 100s. Hopefully the above will create and efficient and user friendly system that should keep operation simple and fun :-)

The rolling stock workshops have been on full whack also, with Flex chipping away at renumbering and superdetailing of Inverness, Polmadies and Craigentinnys carriage fleets (as well is interlopers from elsewhere!) - several Mk1s and Mk2s have now been outshopped. Locowise, a number of 26s and 47s have been renumbered and soundchipped, some featuring the authentic ED 'big numbers' (Fox NSE bodyside numbers....a saving grace! :-D) as well as a few more items now soundchipped and awaiting renumbering/weathering to suit 1988 Glasgow.

On the layout itself, the retaining walls are now taking place with the east side now almost fully in place, with the west side currently as a 'skeleton'. These are made from foamboard supported by wooden blocks and 80thou plasticard, with the retaining walls being slaters 7mm stone also on 80thou plasticard. After spending a long time measuring and counting blocks, both in real life and model form, we reckon we've got the dimensions pretty spot on! The walls are now just awaiting detailing and painting which will happen pretty soon....

As ever, thoughts, advice, or plan chitchat welcomed! :-)

Cheers,

Dave

post-7341-0-00142900-1313688247_thumb.jpg

post-7341-0-22973200-1313688439_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that cos it kinda confused me a bit. I saw the air shaft and you also confirmed that i wasn't imagining it, now i know. I like the idea of the crane and the wagons getting in on the building as well! Looking good keep up with the good work fella!

• 4 weeks later...

Howdo all!

Sorry for the lack of posts... Again but the GQS team have been busy elsewhere but now its getting to winter we are all back and ready to crack on with the layout.

Over the last few week alone the platforms have been done and just need sticking down and filling in a few places then spraying,also retaining walls are all just about in bar on sheets worth! We have also got the foundations ready on the other side of the retaining wall for the grass and scrubland areas, and Dave has also started flocking the green area to add a little colour to the layout! Work has also started on the road bridge next to cowlairs with everything but the sides of the bridge complete,

In the next week or so we are going to take up the air gun and compressor to spray/weather the walls. We were hoping to have this done and completed this sunday but Dave M and I are of to shipley show to help a friend pick up his new layout (holcomb brook and tottington) so GQS can wait till next wednesday

Once the platform and retaining walls are at a better state of readyness we will do a photoshoot with a bit/lot of stock so watch this space

Ta for now

Chris

This looks like an interesting project David.

I remember day trips up to Glasgow in the 80's and the 47 7's from Edinburgh. An old pal made a layout of G Q S many years ago. I'm not sure what happened to it, but I had hours of fun operating it and once yours is done, I'm sure you will too.

I'll be watching your progress with interest.

Cheers.

Sean.

Howdo sean, one of the main reasons we chose GQS to model was because of the amount of veriaty in locos and stock, also the stupid time table, we have a copy of the '88 time table and its bonkers! If I remember rightly from about 8am till about 10pm there's about 5mins where nothing moves!

We have no intention of running the layout to time tables at shows as dave and I don't like the idea of the same routine every time we run it! But if we did run to a time table the watching public would never get board!

Due to the fact GQS is well on the way to being completed the team are throwing the idea of extending the layout and adding Eastfield depot into the mix :) but watch this space!

Ta for now

Chris

Howdo sean, one of the main reasons we chose GQS to model was because of the amount of veriaty in locos and stock, also the stupid time table, we have a copy of the '88 time table and its bonkers! If I remember rightly from about 8am till about 10pm there's about 5mins where nothing moves!

We have no intention of running the layout to time tables at shows as dave and I don't like the idea of the same routine every time we run it! But if we did run to a time table the watching public would never get board!

Due to the fact GQS is well on the way to being completed the team are throwing the idea of extending the layout and adding Eastfield depot into the mix :) but watch this space!

Ta for now

Chris

Eastfield.....? Now there's some memories!

My mate did a representation of Eastfield and some carriage sidings, but I'm thinking that yours would be a little more closer to the original. Go on..... You know you want to!.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Sorry fella you'll have to wait untill GQS is finnished and out on the road! But it will deffinatly be something to keep an aye out for in the near future! At the moment we don't want to get side tracked with another project. But it will deffo happen :) we have even measured it up and get plans in place,

Ta for now

Chris

Archived