Glasgow Queen Street '88

DavidM

Cheers for all the comments chaps - it's good to know we're paying the real life station homage B)

Richard - not quite sure which working you picked up, but I remember reading about 1D84 (?) which ran between Inverness and the south, which ran into GQS, then was dragged back up Cowlairs incline by anything Eastfield depot could muster, then running with the train loco down to Carstairs for onward electric transport...maybe it was the return working?

Paul - definately interested in any snaps - 1988 preferably but anything is of interest!

Dave - the gantry is definately being popped in (although we're not looking forward to it!) - no stone will be left unturned....

Max - another set of stunning photos, especially of the 20s on the Saloon in Platform 7! Do you have dates for the second set of pics, as a lot look like they come from the '88/89 era?

I've added two more photos - the first is of (some of!) Wednesdays progress on the Operations control building on platform 2, and the beginning of the 'backscene' of the various takeaways and shops on Dundas street behind the station. For Grimley (and the rest of you!) i've dug into the archives and dragged out a photo of 47708 from January - there was a lineup shot of /7s I was tempted to post, however we've had quite a few additions since then so it's something else on the list for a photoshoot....when we ever get two minutes from not working on the layout! :biggrin_mini:

post-7341-0-16980500-1319185168.jpg

post-7341-0-62451700-1319185169.jpg

Hi Dave,

47577 looks great, I like your Scotrail liv MK2ds too, are they a total repaint? I was thinging of doing one and was thinking I could just put the blue & white stripe over the red & white on an old Dapol coach.

Hi Max,

Superb pics certainly brings back a few memories of when I was there, I just wish I had taken more pictures. Is 27054 on a shove set, if so I pressume it's an ECS working.

Cheers Peter.

Max - another set of stunning photos, especially of the 20s on the Saloon in Platform 7! Do you have dates for the second set of pics, as a lot look like they come from the '88/89 era?

guys - thanks for the comments re the photos. Good to have some use for them. There are more to come and I will try and dig out the dates of the ones posted to date.

Max

Howdo all,

Peter for some reason yes my MK2's are all repaints in ScotRail, well the main reason was the Dapol IC ones are harder to catch so I had a ton of B/G ones but as you said you can rebrabd the I/C ones there just as good! Infact I have about 6 to do! If your thinking of doing it tho order the stripes of fox they do ScotRail blue strips just to lay over I haven't got em close so ill post the cat number if you'd like?

Max get diggin fella then pics are brilliant now who was doing a saloon? Race you there Dave?

Bullied thanks for your very kind words, some one once told me the reason for the rear indicators on the points, infact I think there just that if I remember rightly (which I probs won't) they have the drivers an idea which plat they were heading for... But can some one confirm that?

Ta for now

Chris W

Howdo all, a quick update on todays work,

Dave W was on with the Ops Depot on plat 7 with the roof and internal walls now finnished all its waiting for now is painting and then internal details and lighting

I was also on with the row of shops behind the op depot on the main street and also the second road bridge!

Dave M was also carrying on with the platform edging which is looking very very good now

I'm sure dave m will be on later today tomorrow with more gen and some pics

Ta for now

Chris W

Howdo all,

Peter for some reason yes my MK2's are all repaints in ScotRail, well the main reason was the Dapol IC ones are harder to catch so I had a ton of B/G ones but as you said you can rebrabd the I/C ones there just as good! Infact I have about 6 to do! If your thinking of doing it tho order the stripes of fox they do ScotRail blue strips just to lay over I haven't got em close so ill post the cat number if you'd like?

Max get diggin fella then pics are brilliant now who was doing a saloon? Race you there Dave?

Bullied thanks for your very kind words, some one once told me the reason for the rear indicators on the points, infact I think there just that if I remember rightly (which I probs won't) they have the drivers an idea which plat they were heading for... But can some one confirm that?

Ta for now

Chris W

Thanks Chris,

I need to get a few bits from Fox, so I will look out for the stripes.

Cheers Peter.

Hi All,

A quick post as i'm just heading out to work, so i'll come back and update the descriptions later, but here's a quick few snaps of layout progress described by Chris above, including the Operations Depot on platform 2 (take note Chris B) ) and one or two 'arty' shots.

It's the intention to have a long overdue running night a week on wednesday so hopefully then there'll be a few more rolling stock pictures for those who are following the ever-growing GQS fleet...

post-7341-0-44966300-1319455822.jpg

post-7341-0-38174600-1319455824.jpg

post-7341-0-56958300-1319455828.jpg

Howdo Peter while I was working on my MK3's last night I made a note of the number for the ScotRail stripes

You need F4220 they are the blue and white body side stripes

Fox also do a transfer sheet for numbers and branding but I don't have them codes on me at the month ill get em for you later

Ta for now

Chris

Peter the other transfer packs needed to do ScotRail carriages are

F222 for the number sets!

F221 for the ScotRail branding

F4220 for the blue and white stripes

The only thing I have to find now is the small yellow stickers on the MK3 toilet windows

Anyone have any ideas where I can get these from?

Ta for now

Chris W

The only thing I have to find now is the small yellow stickers on the MK3 toilet windows

Ta for now

Chris W

What were they for? I only just noticed them the other day.

From what I can tell Scott they were a route map including the route stops for the service between Queen Street - Waverly

But again I'm sure there is some one on here that can confirm that

Ta for now

Chris W

Hi All,

A quick post as i'm just heading out to work, so i'll come back and update the descriptions later, but here's a quick few snaps of layout progress described by Chris above, including the Operations Depot on platform 2 (take note Chris B) ) and one or two 'arty' shots.

It's the intention to have a long overdue running night a week on wednesday so hopefully then there'll be a few more rolling stock pictures for those who are following the ever-growing GQS fleet...

Looks really great- in the real life "operations depot" at Glasgow Queen Street in the present day, believe it or not at the very end with the door in the corner at the buffers at platform one is a regular haunt for me, I have been to numerous safety and commercial briefings in that wee room! Its an odd place to do it, in there we see scary educational safety films, learn about new and existing tickets and get quized on when are you termed "on or near the line" and the "safe distance from the running lines when the line speed is 100mph" and "how do you get the overhead wires isolated and name the individual parts of the overhead wire systems" :mail:

From what I can tell Scott they were a route map including the route stops for the service between Queen Street - Waverly

But again I'm sure there is some one on here that can confirm that

Ta for now

Chris W

Hi Chris,

The ones I've seen were a stylised route map for the Edinburgh - Glasgow - Aberdeen triangle. I made mine from a scan from an ABC stock book.

post-7247-0-99074500-1319528555_thumb.jpg

I can send you the file if you like. Don't forget the window destination labels too!

Cheers,

Dave

Peter the other transfer packs needed to do ScotRail carriages are

F222 for the number sets!

F221 for the ScotRail branding

F4220 for the blue and white stripes

Ta for now

Chris W

Hi Chris,

Thanks heaps for that, lastest pics look good too.

Cheers Peter.

Howdo Dave, you got mail...

Quick update rolling stock wise. We know have a full MK3 set repainted and rebranded from lima IC models :) ill get some pics tomorrow

Ta for now

Chris W

Howdo all,

Just to let regulars know, sadly there will be no sunday working party to crack on with the layout, due to our clubs show this weekend at rawtenstall - http://www.lydcc.org.uk/exhibition2011.html if any of you are coming the GQS rolling stock will be there in full force so if you fancy a look just let us know!

on wednesday

Dave M cracked on with the platform edges

Dave W carried on with the ops depot which is now near enough ready for an interia and lighting!

I cracked on with Dundas Street shops which are know half up!

We are having a full on running night this coming wednesday so more pics then

Ta for now

Chris W

G'day fellas,

good to see you all at the LYDCC show on Saturday and very interesting to chat with Chris about all things Scottish/Queen Street.

Impressed to see yourselves, with Kyle of Lochalsh and the lads with Tulloch Bridge flying the flag for all things large logo!

I've been following this thread since you first started it with interest and having talked with Chris, you know why...........

As promised, I will keep in touch via here and we can swap ideas if you like, but you are much further along than I am, however, as I said to Chris It would be a good idea just to keep the contact going for the future, as I may need some help from knowledgeable sources when I come to exhibit my version.

Keep the large logo faith!

speak soon,

Andy

The next one 'on the list' is 594 which was outshopped from ED in Trainload Metals in mid-88, spending the summer on the Inverness/Aberdeen circuit before heading for a new life at Thornaby...

Hi Dave. I am about to start a N gauge layout and my first purchase was a CJM complete 47/7 push-pull set in ScotRail executive livery. I wanted the loco to be as unique as possible and one which had not been covered before on the market or was unlikely to be, so went with 47713. This limited the time of my layout to 1988 or before since that was the year it was condemned, so I settled on 1988 as my focus year, although I am sure I will exercise a little modeller's license. A few days later I found this thread which is great, as it has told me a lot about some particular locos that were in Scotland at that time. I now visit the thread regularly and follow with interest.

Finding out about 47594 operating passenger workings in Scotland was great, as Metals sector is a reasonably rare livery for the 47 and thus appeals to me since the class is my favourite. It will definately be on my list now too.

Howdo all,

First of all, thanks to those of you who came along at weekend for a good chat and your support! It was nice to meet you andy and as said we will deffo keep intouch!

This weekend just gone was the LYDCC anual show, which was a brilliant sucsess, the queen street team were on hand and operating a layout based on Kyle so as you can guess nothing was done to QS this weekend :(

But dave and I spent some moneys on it :) we left the show on sunday loaded with a pair of Hornby HST power cars (more gen to come on these) and an ECoS contoller so we can now have an indipendent signaller (and route setting) this is nearly set up now so on wednesday when we go to the club armed with all the opperational stock we will take photos for you all :)

Also today I persuaded my other half for a trip to ikea (didn't really have to do much persuading really) to pick up some lighting rigs for the building. They are doing LED strips with power packs for £9.99 and there perfect for builings (ill post there ikea name up either later or tomorrow) so they will be fitted into the buildings as and when there completed ill get a photo up later this week of them

But that's all for now chaps, thanks for your interest I'm sure ill be speaking to some of you quite soon :)

Ta for now

Chris W

Thanks to all the above (and more!) who stopped by to talk ScotRail over the weekend - although I didn't get chance to speak to most of you for as long as I liked it was great to put a few new names to faces!

As said previously, we're planning to have a bit of a 'back patting session' once GQS is reattached to it's fiddle yards (which have been used with Kyle over the weekend) so there'll be a few decent shots uploaded as i'm taking my proper camera up instead of letting my phone do all the work..!

Not that this will mean a lull in work on the layout. I'm currently in the process of putting the finishing touches on the platform edges, having researched which bits of platform are original stone-flanked and the bits that are concrete rebuilds/newbuilds....what fun :unsure: - as well as making my credit card weep by funding the ECoS and HST power cars mentioned by Chris above. The Derby Area Group ( ;)) of the GQS team wants to see 43107 make an appearence but I can't figure out why....

Dave

Shame the other power car isn't buffered, then we could have 43084 County of Derbyshire with it as well... ;)

Couple of rolling stock updates for the layout, the West Highland rakes got a quick play on Kyle over the weekend (Mk2 TSO 5129 making it's debut), shows the need for Kadees between coaches but we'll need to do some corner testing before we get there! Heres two locos that just missed a run out at the show:

post-10071-0-04995000-1320231828.jpg

26025 in Railfreight Grey, Heljan model but with a few modifications: Snowploughs added to the outer bogie frames (we wanted to keep the original tension lock for ease of coupling, whilst still giving it a set of ploughs!), the ghastly default Heljan numbers removed and the red solebar stripe added. Time to get the MW stuff painted and send this back up north for some weathering

post-10071-0-49857100-1320231928.jpg

20208 in BR Blue, Bachy model, again with a few mods: Replica headlight added at cab end and painted grey, and renumbered with dogs added etc. This one was rare in the ED 20 stable by having the standard small numbers, handy when I didn't have any big ones useable at the time! :D Still needs a bit of detailing on the ends but is otherwise good to go.

Hi All,

A few shots as promised - although I haven't quite mastered this camera yet hence some fuzziness....looks like it's back to the phone camera for me <_< .

After turning the layout and re-attaching the fiddle yards, the layout was rigged up to the ECoS which worked quite well considering it had been set up at home! On the next working sesh we're planning to set it up properly however signs are definately promising and it seems like a great purchase!

Anyway, on to the photos...some with stock, some without.

post-7341-0-16973600-1320276150_thumb.jpg

post-7341-0-58665300-1320276148.jpg

post-7341-0-32873900-1320276147.jpg

post-7341-0-10338100-1320276146.jpg

post-7341-0-52238200-1320276144.jpg

post-7341-0-49948200-1320276143.jpg

post-7341-0-46675500-1320276141.jpg

Dave

Archived