Glasgow Queen Street '88

DavidM

Hi all,

Having just passed GQS's first birthday (is it that long already :O ) we took a gap out of working on the layout to pose a few bits of stock. Although I haven't quite mastered my iphone camera yet, they'll hopefully give a few ideas of how it's all looking! (Although try and divert your eyes from 47004 and 47467 off the rails in the first pic :blush_mini: )

The main area of work has concentrated on the cowlairs end of the layout, with a base in place for the lawned area (a mix of polystyrene blocks, mod rock, tissue, PVA, foamboard and swearing...) and a preliminary layer of flock put down. I find that it's harder to replicate 'gardened' grass than it is to model untouched gorse and weeds, so what you see is definately not the final coat (on either side of the bridge!)

The walls are also undergoing spraying and filling and again these aren't complete. The plasticard is mounted onto foamboard which is then held in place by a sequence of wooden blocks to get the curvature and angle of the wall right - there's been too many nights in with a pint and several pictures of stonework to remember... :biggrin_mini:

The third worksite at the moment is the Cunningham Street (as was!) roadbridge, which by 1988 was in use as an overflow car park, and will be modelled as such. Thankfully, the two road bridges on the layout share a broadly similar design, and while the former bridge is now underneath (and in parts of!) the Buchanan Galleries, the Bath Street bridge still survives to be measured and photographed to give us an idea of what we need to replicate. The model is a mix of foamboard and plasticard which will gain further supports (both decorational and fundamental!) as work continues.

I'm sure chris will be along with a bit more news soonish, but as ever, any queries/questions/comments are welcome!

post-7341-0-93297600-1317310247.jpg

post-7341-0-05413200-1317310251.jpg

post-7341-0-84116000-1317310253.jpg

Hi Dave,

Wow, GQS really is coming along very nicely. You really are starting to get the atmosphere already. Love to stock too. A 1980s ScotRail layout based on a prototypical location. It doesn't get much better than that for me. Am watching this with keen interest.

All we need to do is connect up Waverley West and GQS, then we can run those push-pulls all day long.

Cheers,

Dave

Howdo all!

Glad to see the photos have been warmly accepted! especially by both of you Dave and Pete! as Dave you could imagine your layout of Waverly West has given both my self and Dave M plently of things to drewel over :D and your layout Pete for the outstanding levels of detail! so it is a real pat on the back for the GQS team to have the two of you give such good comments! if i can this afternoon ill add a few more pics as theres still one or two we took that dave hasnt added that are stunning!!!!

We are heading back up on sunday to carry on the hard work as we have just taken deliverly of the rest of the stone walling :D and pete im glad you think the colours are near enough right but what you see at the moment is only the base coat :( there are still many more hours of pain staking work let to get them anywhere near the standards we are aiming for!!!!!!

Remember everyone watching if you have any GQS related photos in your collection Please Please Please feel free to share them with us on here :D

Ta for now

Chris

Howdo all, on sunday the full GQS team made and apperance at the club rooms to work on the layout/stock.

Flex was on with the eye numbing job of renumbering the DMU's and a MK'1 BG for Kyle Of Lochalsh

Dave M and I were on with rest of the retaining walls which are now finally completed and just waiting for spraying/weathering and detailing!

I also started on making the builing on platform 7 which is nearly finnished now apart from the doors,

Dave W has cracked on with the platform tops which are now 90% done and ready to recive fine details, he has also started the plans to make the 'signaling center' which sits on platform 2 (which will also include a fully lit interia :O )

I don't thing we took pics this weekend but we will take some wednesday so you folks can see where we are up too :)

Ta for now

Chris

Can't wait to see this develope. I remember coming in from the taxi rank end and getting a pie from the booth that was next to where the toilets are now. It was the first time I got to shout back at my dad and not get punished for it. Thank you all you lovely diesels that were firing up at the time.

Best regards,

Mark

Starting to feel right although that entrance into the tunnels is still too bright and airy!! I always remember my visits to GQS that the walls and the tunnels mouth area always had a significant air of dinginess to it.

Sure you'll get round to it but you've certainly got the feel of GQS starting to come together.

Howdo all, thanks for the comments, grid there are plenty off duffs ready to role in and out! Originally we said we would need about 10 duffs I think on our last count it was about 25 :/

Millerhillboy what you see colour wise at the moment on the walls is the very first colour its just the under coat and there's plenty more hours worth of work to be done yet, the colour on at the month is aimed to be a morter colour! We were hoping to carry on with the colours last sunday but we all had other areas to work on!

The team will be back on it tonight and we will get some photos up either tonight or tomorrow!

Ta for now

Chris w

Just a quick appologie for the obvious miss spellings and wrong words in my posts!

I'm currently confined to the internet on a blackberry phone and I can't edit my posts and for some reason it likes to change words on me

Ta for now

Chris w

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments!

Peter/Dave - as builders of layouts that have inspired us with GQS it is rewarding to see your appreciation for the layout during it's construction :) . We'll definately have to get Waverley and GQS together...now who's up for making Inverness to give all these shoves somewhere else to go?

Mark - hopefully the layout is bringing the memories back!

Millerhill, the layout looks really bright under the clubs lighting and also with the lack of permanent bridges etc - it really does look gloomy on a dark day and we're intending to darken the walls a bit yet. The majority of shots we have in the research folders show the layout in dull days so the grey and grime can really be appreciated!

Grimley - we've got quite a stud of /0s, /4s and /7s so far, and we're trying to restrain one of the gang from doing 97472 (but I won't say who! :biggrin_mini: ). I'll take a few pictures when I get the chance, but for now, i've cropped one of the earlier shots of IS's 47467 and also popped up a few more pics...

Dave

post-7341-0-43925300-1317824695.jpg

post-7341-0-89728000-1317824697.jpg

post-7341-0-98861900-1317824700.jpg

post-7341-0-39266600-1317824702.jpg

Howdo all a quick update on last nights activities,

Dave M has now completed the retaining wall so all we need to do now are details and painting

I was on with the building on plat 7 which just needs painting and sticking in

Dave W was on with the 'contol center' on plat 2 and has completed the first floor and he is now on with building the second floor

That's all the gen for now but we will keep you posted on progress and aim to get some snaps on sunday!

Ta for now

Chris W

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of updates, the GQS team have been busy putting the final touches on the LYDCC show at the end of the month, but work still continues on the layout...

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get a decent picture of the under-construction Traincrew/Station Managers building under construction on platform 2 however here's a quick snap featuring the building that sits under the Bath Street roadbridge, along with a few of the rebranded/renumbered items of coaching stock that will be seen on the layout.

post-7341-0-79762100-1318948700.jpg

To add to daves report, the GQS team didn't make it up to the club on sunday, so instead myself and my old mad got on with some respraying

We got another 3 MK3's finnished bar lining and numbers

And we also got the rail gray on my class 120 dmu leaving the white lining and numbers

I also stripped down an 'O' gauge duff but that's a differnt story

We are back at the club tomorrow to carry on with the buildings platform 2s buildings are really coming on and as you see from above plat 7's building is pretty much complete bar paint so I'm now going to move on to the station cafe that sits just out side the front of the canopy and the first road bridge

More photos in the next day or two

Ta for now

Chris

Thanks for posting the photos Dave, lovely work. I really like 467 with the blue roof, am I right in thinking that there were a few that had the same treatment?

As mentioned before I had quite a soft spot for Scottish 47s. Being from Essex it was always difficult to see Eastfield and Inverness 47s which is probably why I liked them so much. Although they did tend to venture away from their home!

I am thinking of asking Father Christmas for the Limited edition 47461 from Rails of Sheffield, I had a Lima version many years ago!

Excellent work on the Train crew building. I look forward to seeing more photos of the layout and your Brush fleet.

Superb photos Max.

Max - some great photos there! Definately interested in any further photos. The main thing i've found is the each and every photo we've got of GQS from the era shows a little snippet of information not available in any other photos....we're getting the whole picture slowly but surely!

Grimley - glad 467 meets your approval! The Class 47 website quotes a few other examples as getting the blue roof at IS - http://www.class47.c...es.php?s_liv=40 however 461/541 will be on the layout in their IC/ScotRail liveries rather than with blue rooves! The next one 'on the list' is 594 which was outshopped from ED in Trainload Metals in mid-88, spending the summer on the Inverness/Aberdeen circuit before heading for a new life at Thornaby...

Regarding Essex and Scottish 47s, we've managed to combine the two :O. 47577 in Stratford LL Blue with mods courtesy of Eastfield....the pics from a few months ago hence the lack of platforms however i'll make sure it's in the stockbox when the next photo session is due....!

Dave

post-7341-0-00942200-1319063962.jpg

This great model reminds me of a railway journey in early September 1986. My son and I were on holiday in the UK (we're from the States) and took a train from Birmingham New Street to Inverness. Everything made sense until I lost track of where we were near Glasgow, when we started on what seemed like a circular route around the east of Glasgow. We passed Springburn, saw Auld Reekie - the loco, waited a while when an engine was attached and then went down the incline into Queen Street! From there we took a conventional route to Inverness. Does anyone know the route we took off the WCML to arrive at Queen Street?

Richard Davies

Utah, USA

Hi Chaps

Sorry for not getting back to you with the promised piccies. Work took me out to the states for a few months. Would the photos still be of interest? I shall try and scan them in the next few days. Is there anything your after in particular?

Paul

Guest Max Stafford

Dave, I'm really liking this layout. You're modelling the period in which I knew it best. Those blue era photos are amazing too - that's how Queen Street looked when I used to go there in the earliest days of my enthusiasm! Fantastic and you've done a cracking job of the retaining wall. I bet you'll have fun doing the old NB gantry across the neck though!

Dave.

Archived