Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

I like this horsebox.

MSE?  I found "Model Signal Engineering" on the GOG traders website page, but can't find a LMS/S&D horsebox listed anywhere.  Is this discontinued, or do I have the wrong manufacturer?

Yet another long time inhabitant of the workbench joins the weathering queue.

This is the MSE Former S&D Horsebox (the one with the leather seat).

SampDHorsebox007_zps27be94de.jpg

I like this horsebox.

MSE?  I found "Model Signal Engineering" on the GOG traders website page, but can't find a LMS/S&D horsebox listed anywhere.  Is this discontinued, or do I have the wrong manufacturer?

Hi Mike,  You are right about it being Model Signal Engineering but this particular kit went to Fourtrack Models (which my version was) and it's  now with Dragon Models - CC022 Here about half way down the page on the left hand side.

I just picked up a rather tasty L&Y/LMS 30 ton bogie van from Dragon on Sunday which will feature on the workbench fairly soon.

Hi Mike,  You are right about it being Model Signal Engineering but this particular kit went to Fourtrack Models (which my version was) and it's  now with Dragon Models - CC022 Here about half way down the page on the left hand side.

I just picked up a rather tasty L&Y/LMS 30 ton bogie van from Dragon on Sunday which will feature on the workbench fairly soon.

Thanks for the info.  I had heard of Dragon, but was unfamiliar with their range.  I see a few LMS horseboxes, so its looking like I have to start saving my pennies, as my "want" list just got a bit longer...

I also saw that bogie van.  Looks very interesting, I'll be waiting to see the build!

There are some nice Midland horseboxes around - Dragon have the Bain D.401 (the drawing looks like George Dawson of Majestic Models' style, so should be good) and SM Models do the earlier Clayton D.399 box alongside a pair of interesting 4-wheel meat and corpse vans. Gladiator do a nice LT&SR horsebox which would be painted in Midland livery post-1912.

• Like 1

Hi Adrian, I have a Bain D401 in my stash and it's from the MSE stable and given that the S&D one is the same origin and with Dragon via Fourtrack I suspect that the Bain one might be too.

Thanks for the pointers on the D.399 I have seen the corpse and meat vans on the SM site but I haven never noticed the horse box and to quote Jonathan, a man can never have too many horseboxes

Having just visited the SM page it looks like he is stopping doing the former Janick /Oldbury NPCS kits so anyone wanting them should get in quick while he still has stock.

Couple of pictures of the bogie van here, Rob. Interesting thing, reminiscent of the NER G7. I can't see a drawing in there, but that might just be me not seeing it.

Thanks Jonathan,  it looks  like a useful resource.

Edited by Rob Pulham

Another one that's ready for weathering is the Connoisseur GER Sand Wagon.

In my world it has been transferred internally to the Leeds District. The lettering has been made up from some old Woodhead transfers that I picked up at Halifax a couple of years ago and some spare bit's of Parkside that I had left. The Woodhead transfers have been revived/made usable by the application of Microscale liquid decal film and I cannot recommend it enough! 

In theory you just apply a coat to the back of the transfer and leave it for 15 minutes then use it like a water slide transfer. 

In practice I found that some of my transfers were still a bit fragile so I applied a second coat for strength. 

To apply them I mixed a bit of PVA in some luke warm water. Then I painted the back of the transfer with the PVA/water mix to wet it (after removing from the backing paper layer) and applied it like a press fix/meth fix transfer but without the meths solution. Then I held it in place, wet the top and after a few moments the carrier film came away. From there I adjusted the position like a waterslide transfer. 

GERSandWagon002_zps53ad0a74.jpg

GERSandWagon001_zps3161d133.jpg
  • Like 5

Another that has had it's finishing touches is the NBR Brake van. This too presented a few challenges on the transfer front but it came out all right in the end.

NBRBrakeVan016_zps09445a3a.jpg

I even managed to glaze the duckets without too much difficulty despite them being a solid casting and no way in from the inside of the van. I have tried and failed to show with the photo below that you can actually see through them and out each end of the ducket. I used some 1mm perpex which I cut in to a 12mm strip from which I cut further strips 2.5mm wide. I filed the ends round and kept filing top and bottom until they were a tight fit. Once they were wedged in I ran some Johnsons clear over them to help them to stick.

NBRBrakeVan015-1_zpsfcefa963.jpg

NBRBrakeVan014-1_zps91ced679.jpg

NBRBrakeVan013-1_zps0a061600.jpg

NBRBrakeVan012-2_zpsf55b03d3.jpg

NBRBrakeVan011-2_zps2c7ae1e4.jpg

The rest of the windows are glazed with microscope cover slips from CPL stuck in with PVA. What I like about using PVA to stick them in is that any you get on the windows themselves can be cleaned off once dry with a bit of water on a cotton bud. But if you don't do too good a job it looks like dirty windows.
  • Like 4

Thanks for the pointers on the D.399 I have seen the corpse and meat vans on the SM site but I haven never noticed the horse box and to quote Jonathan, a man can never have too many horseboxes

Having just visited the SM page it looks like he is stopping doing the former Janick /Oldbury NPCS kits so anyone wanting them should get in quick while he still has stock.

I spoke to Mr SM Models today and he said the meat van and horsebox were the best sellers in the Midland range and he's got none left (if the kits sold OK why withdraw them?)

Hopefully they won't have disappeared forever and someone with a bit more vision will take them on. OK, they're not state-of-the-art, and a bit niche, but with care made up into nice models.

Mercian still sell them in 4mm and Walsall in 10mm.

Thanks Adrian,  

That's much appreciated. I have a bit of a soft spot for the unusual bit of NPCS. As you say there still a few around, D&S have a good range and Dragon have a few horseboxes in the range. 

I also noticed that Andy Beaton at Ragstone has some new wagons imminent.

He has indeed! The GER Yeast & Parcels, Meat & Fruit and Bullion Van kits will complement the D&S Sundry Vans as they're all based on the same basic design with (some significant) detail differences.

Edited by Buckjumper
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Another even longer inhabitant of the work bench is almost complete - it's been there that long that I have lost the buffers and couplings for it......

LNERFridgeVan004_zpsf44e83b7.jpg

LNERFridgeVan003_zps2bcb3e4d.jpg

LNERFridgeVan002_zps47eaa208.jpg

LNERFridgeVan001_zpsb6311751.jpg

This is another one that I have used rescued Woodhead transfers on.
  • Like 6

Another one that has been across the bench recently is this Parkside LNER loco coal Wagon. It's my very first S7 build, no I have not defected.

I am building a couple of items of rolling stock for a group of guys that are continuing to build a layout that was started by a gent that passed away as a tribute to him. 

I still need to blacken the buffer heads and couplings but I couldn't resist posting a few shots after Chris has weaved her weathering magic on it.

Lovelanecoalwagon007_zps1d840537.jpg

Lovelanecoalwagon006_zps2f539491.jpg

Lovelanecoalwagon003_zps1bfba5f8.jpg

Lovelanecoalwagon002_zpse51e7779.jpg

Lovelanecoalwagon001_zpsde3995f5.jpg

I have also built an LNER 12 ton van to go with it (Parkside again) this is being weathered as I type this.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
Chris has spent some time this week weathering the second wagon for Love Lane.

The flash seems to have highlighted the rust colour even more on these than it did on the coal wagon....

LoveLaneWagons001_zps30373c0a.jpg

LoveLaneWagons002_zps2870e89c.jpg

LoveLaneWagons003_zpsfe5694a6.jpg

LoveLaneWagons004_zps1bb91161.jpg

LoveLaneWagons005_zps8d65b460.jpg

And then one of the two wagons together. I just need to clean the paint off the wheels treads and get them in the post.

LoveLaneWagons006_zpse2309e3f.jpg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
There are a couple of my shelf queens that are especially dear to Chris's heart, since they were gifts from her. This is one of them finished at last - an MMP LMS Glass wagon. 

This is one of those that I started a couple of years too early in the confidence and experience stakes. When I started on it I made mistakes but didn't have the confidence to unsolder it and start again. What seemed a struggle at the time was so much easier when I picked it up again. To be honest using some of the MMP bits on other build has helped me understand the way that they go together which has helped tremendously.

As a kit it is very highly detailed and the only bit's that I changed were the rope rings that I remade from brass wire (they were very nice whitemetal castings) and the screw clamps that hold the packing cases. Once again the ones supplied were castings but I wanted them to work. It turned out quite easy to do the make up of the slide that holds the clamp was easy to tap 10ba and the clamps themselves I made from a 10ba brass screw with two sections of tube  soldered over them at the head end (I only had countersunk screws so I had to mount them in my mini drill and turn the heads down so that the large tube would fit. This was then filled with solder. 

There were some etched handles supplied but I wanted something a bit more robust so cut a slot in the end of the screw and soldered in a brass pin.

A shot of the clamps - I need to patch in the paint where I moved them to clamp the crates.

MMPLMSGlassWagon009_zps873c1345.jpg

I didn't take any photo's of the end of the journey on this one but here it is in it's grey livery just needing the black bits doing and then some transfers and weathering.

MMPLMSGlassWagon008_zpsd287aa09.jpg

MMPLMSGlassWagon007_zps8a5451da.jpg

MMPLMSGlassWagon006_zpsa45e9eca.jpg

MMPLMSGlassWagon005_zps9e16ed5f.jpg

MMPLMSGlassWagon004_zps4307f083.jpg

MMPLMSGlassWagon003_zps2750e93a.jpg

MMPLMSGlassWagon002_zps16a36dcd.jpg

MMPLMSGlassWagon001_zps473c644a.jpg

I also replaced the buffer heads with some brass ones that I had in the spares box this made it a bit easier to spring them.

The wood for the deck and packing cases was supplied with the kit along with cutting templates.
  • Like 10

Chris has weaved her magic on the S&D Horsebox so this is another one ready for service on the layout (layout, what layout I hear the cry, I must get on with it....)

SampDHorsebox001_zpsaf89c6e9.jpg

SampDHorsebox002_zps97afb5d4.jpg

SampDHorsebox004_zps9b93c7e6.jpg

SampDHorsebox005_zps9a8a2684.jpg

SampDHorsebox006_zpsbb5747af.jpg

Because this one wouldn't have been in LMS livery for too long in my modelling period I wanted this one to be grubby as opposed to rusty and work worn.
  • Like 4

Another joint effort between me and my good lady is this Salt Wagon. It was built from one of the unlettered Slaters kits and it's another that has sat for quite some time unfinished - I am not sure why really....

I finished of the build and having looked at POW sides for transfers we liked the Mangers colour scheme I also fancied the idea of a very faded and worn look to the wagon. Working towards this I still hadn't ordered the transfers but I painted the wagon green using Railmatch Doncaster green.

Using the air brush and varying the amount that I sprayed on I got a head start on the colour variations that I was looking for.

SaltWagon2_zps6b6d03c1.jpg

SaltWagon_zps721674f8.jpg

SaltWagon1_zps6ad18c71.jpg

I had also ordered some transfer paper in transparent and white with a view to making my own transfers for boiler bands and the floor cloth wagon. To cut a long story short we decided to have a go at making our own Mangers transfers and after a bit of playing about in Microsoft word with various font Chris came up with these printed onto clear laser paper (I printed a full sheet in case I had problems).

Mangerstransfer_zpsa4c7ac0e.jpg

They were a bit of a challenge to get them to lay down over the hinges and straps (I will buy some Microsol for another set). By applying them over the varying shades on the wagon and with them being printed on clear decal film they further "faded" without too much effort. Chris then did some more weathering to the whole wagon ending up with this which is just what I hoped for but wasn't sure that it could be achieved.

Saltwagon001_zps53f1cb3c.jpg

Saltwagon002_zps359165ae.jpg

Saltwagon003_zpsf5bd0476.jpg

Saltwagon004_zps12a932e3.jpg

Saltwagon005_zps6a774b27.jpg

Saltwagon006_zps96b4080d.jpg

Saltwagon007_zps1fa99cd2.jpg

In the end up I only make a muck up of one set of transfers - being a bit heavy handed, so I have 3 spare sets should I happen across any more salt wagon kits.

The roof canvas was done with some blackout curtain liner which make a reasonable representation of canvas.

Edited by Rob Pulham
  • Like 4

That blackout curtain liner looks like it could do 4mm scale rough concrete.

I should imagine it would, you could cover large areas at once with it too. Something that's a bit lacking in bought in scale plasticard sheet materials