Once Upon a Time.... in the West

2ManySpams

Poking about on the interwebby-netty-thingy this afternoon I found this and thought of you http://cs.trains.com...36/1564956.aspx. I note that in the 3rd post the author models the desert area where he grew up " in Texas and Southern New Mexico" - it might well be worth an email to him, despite his original posting being some time ago. Hope it helps

Jack

• 1 month later...

Poking about on the interwebby-netty-thingy this afternoon I found this and thought of you http://cs.trains.com...36/1564956.aspx. I note that in the 3rd post the author models the desert area where he grew up " in Texas and Southern New Mexico" - it might well be worth an email to him, despite his original posting being some time ago. Hope it helps

Jack

Jack, Even that thread is not too clear. You have to look at the elevation of the area modelled. Off the top of my head, for example Flagstaff is 6,000' higher than Phoenix (but still in Arizona) - and has the biggest Ponderosa Pine forest in the World and absolutely no Saguaro (conversely you will NOT find Ponderosas in Phoenix) and neither does New Mexico north of Santa Fe (maybe north of Albuquerque).

Maybe Google local environmental colleges? I haven't done that yet.........

Best, Pete.

Some South West photos(for example):

Flagstaff enroute to Sedona

post-9016-0-83692800-1302074504_thumb.jpg

Scrub at rim of Grand Canyon (just north of Flagstaff)

post-9016-0-22083700-1302074594_thumb.jpg

Just north of Phoenix:

post-9016-0-80745100-1302074941_thumb.jpg

South of Santa Fe

post-9016-0-96377400-1302075033_thumb.jpg

So far south as to be between Albuquerque and Gallup NM...........

Best, Pete.

Isn't that a rude gesture that cactus is making..??!!? :blink: :rolleyes: :lol:

Certainly true about no 'typical' scenery across a whole State... Being a Mid-Western fan I tend to think of endless rolling prairie... I was quite surprised to hear Minnesota described as the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" on one of my DVDs... hey, what do I know? - I've never been to the USA... :rolleyes: :(

• RMweb Gold

Isn't that a rude gesture that cactus is making..??!!? :blink: :rolleyes: :lol:

Be fair! There you are, a cactus minding its own business, when all of a sudden there's this Essex Boy pointing a camera at you! Who wouldn't react?

Ha!

They all think "Estuary English" is how the Queen speaks........I must have been asked a dozen times whether I'm going to the Wedding, "what Wedding?" I reply. It's not Railway Station it's Rowway Station (as in loud).

Best, Pete.

Yes and its station is on the old Pennsylvania Railroad (it's also the site of the old State Prison and where I go to get my Driver's License renewed every 5 years). Pronounced "rarway"

My favourite local town by spelling and pronounciation is: Piscataway. Exactly how it looks. Mahwah is where the late Les Paul lived.

Best, Pete..

• RMweb Gold

I think I have a young ladyfriend - sadly not that sort of ladyfriend - whose Grandmama lives in Mahwah, which is why said young lady has dual citizenship.

Apologies to our talented hosts for the hijack, by the way!

I'm trying to find a distance shot of Flagstaff because it is like an oasis in the high desert:

The town itself is just behind these peaks (which are actually the remains of one huge volcano - which if it hadn't blown it's top off would have remained the highest peak in Conus

post-9016-0-82180500-1302163935_thumb.jpg

There are 1,500 old volcanos around Flagstaff (mostly cinder cone) this one last erupted c. 1,100ad, "Sunset Cone": Please note "scrub" and Ponderosa Pines in photos.

post-9016-0-61337000-1302164281_thumb.jpg

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Update on the tumbleweed... John and Damian are having a track / electrics session this weekend now that a revised layout has been drawn up. Sounds like it means scrapping a point or two but the loop will be longer.....

........just the soft, lonely, sighing song of the wind in the wires, and the scritch-scratch twiggy sound of a tumbleweed as it rolled and bounced along the dusty road! .......

Which put me in mind of:

See them tumbling down

Pledging their love to the ground

Lonely but free I'll be found

Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds

As in an

or a more
interpretation.

• 2 weeks later...

Which put me in mind of:

See them tumbling down

Pledging their love to the ground

Lonely but free I'll be found

Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds

As in an

or a more
interpretation.

By heck, I remember the version by Slim Whitman, who was in the popular music chart in Springtime 1956.

And I remember "me Dad" whistling that tune out in his workshop, whilst making a six by four base-board for our Hornby Dublo tank engine to run on.

Thanks for reviving that memory Oz, and thanks to Pete and Jack for all the photographs, each time getting closer to our bit of desert!

Some track was relayed a week ago and I've submitted a new plan for the "wye" to my other co-conspirators for their approval. Then we might brush away the cobwebs and tumbleweeds and get the project rolling again.

All the best, John.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies to our talented hosts for the hijack, by the way!

I think I may start a thread of 'great tangental hijacks', of which this would be a first class entry :lol: Mind you it's tame compared to some of the tangental conversations I have with John and Damian! Now what were we talking about again?????

Collects coat - heads for dog-house! :huh:

hmmm....dog having to share again?

or wee you referring to that peculiar American device they used to stick on top of locomotive tenders?

A device whose purpose I really struggle to fathom...?

or....was it really what Aussies might call the 'Dunny?'

Archived