Once Upon a Time.... in the West

2ManySpams

Aha, let me see, I nearly forgot a weekly report should be every seven of our Earth days and the first report was on a Wednesday!

Anyway, perhaps a weekly report was over-ambitious, especially after the activities of last week.  As many people know, I'm a volunteer at Kidderminster Railway Museum in the photograph and archive section, however, four of the last seven days were spent helping with the Big Bank Holiday Sale, of books, prints, pictures and models.  (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101956-kidderminster-railway-museum-bank-holiday-weekend-sale/&do=findComment&comment=1980409).  All the proceeds of the sale are going towards the new building appeal. 

And another day was lost meeting up with my brother, Nigel, to collect the last pieces of steelwork towards the lighting and pelmet supports.  I will post a picture of this after it's all had a coat of paint and had all the end caps fitted.

But that left two days to make a bit more progress finishing off the two additional base-boards and the two fiddle-yard boards and their folding legs.  Here's a photo of the four boards, almost ready to use. 

post-10252-0-20722700-1441228127_thumb.jpg

and a photo of one of the depot boards with the addition of the bus wire and the point decoder and wiring.

post-10252-0-77926600-1441228180_thumb.jpg

All that's left to do before testing a locomotive across the three depot boards is to add the control wires to all the Tortoise motors.

During the next week, I'll be back down at the Museum for a couple of days (tomorrow and Sunday), as the sale is being extended over this coming weekend.  And I'm helping Geoff with New Haden Colliery on Friday, so it will be Saturday before I can erect all the steelwork for the first time and check it out against the footprint of the layout.  I'm looking forward to a dry day, as I need the drive-way to test the structure on.

More news in a week's time.  

A day late with this week's report, after another eight days have rolled rapidly by - and I note that even Queen Elizabeth's reign has been measured in days too!

After a couple of days at the Museum and one spent helping Geoff with New Haden Colliery (which will be at ExpoEM North this coming weekend), I'm afraid only a little more was done towards my own layout.  As planned, I set out the steelwork on the drive to measure up and then made the pelmets to hang on it.  Besides giving them a quick coat of paint that was it, and no photographs were taken, as it's all just more boring woodwork, finished in matt white one side and dark grey the other!

And I took a day's holiday on Tuesday!  My old pal, Frank, organised a trip way out west (well North Wales, actually) for a lot of his old steam-days pals. 

Starting out of Chester at 09:23, the Jollyboys tour headed west.  At Llandudno Junction, we changed trains for a run up the Conwy Valley to Blaenau Ffestiniog, where we hopped across the platform into a reserved coach on the Fffestiniog Railway heading for Portmadoc, behind a double-Fairlie locomotive.  At Portmadoc, we crossed the platform to climb into the Pullman observation car (Glaslyn) right behind the bunker of one of the Welsh Highland Railway's Beyer Peacock built, Garratts for the ride up the Glaslyn pass, over the summit in full view of Snowdon and then down through Tryfan and Dinas to Carnarfon. 

Arrival at Carnarfon was in good time for afternoon tea, then a walk along the track bed of the old railway towards Bangor, which brought us to the pier, ready to board the vintage excursion ship, 'Balmoral'.  Just over a couple of hours later, having cruised through the Menai Strait beneath Stephenson's and Telford's historic bridges, past Puffin Island and around Great Orme in the setting sun, we returned to Llandudno for the train journey back to Chester. 

post-10252-0-79520200-1441922333.jpg

post-10252-0-93694000-1441922362.jpg

post-10252-0-55492500-1441922381.jpg

A super day out and all of it under a virtually cloudless sky!

More news next week, after the weekend at ExpoEM (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101919-expoem-north-2015/&do=findComment&comment=1979422)

All the best,

John

• RMweb Gold

What a fantastic trip - always wanted to do the rail circuit, but the boat trip is a magical addition.

I"ve sailed through the straits, dinghy raced off Port Dinorwic, and got married in Menai Bridge - so very envious !

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Whilst John is working tirelessly on the layout day and night...   his little team of HO workers are also ready to start. that's if the parrot doesn't get them.

Andy

No, no, no Andy, you're not allowed to tell folk what you've done. You need to remove that photo immediately. Tut tut. ;-p

• RMweb Premium

Whilst John is working tirelessly on the layout day and night...   his little team of HO workers are also ready to start. that's if the parrot doesn't get them.

Andy

Some of these little folk are back in the works following a prototype review.

I always new that these were British outline Edwardian figures and that flat caps were more sort of 1920's Chrysler building than New Mexico but there are other short comings to fix:

So more brimmed hats.. That's a tough one, not sure how to fix that yet

Dungeries.. Hadn't appreciated just how common they were. Easy to fix on some of those braced chaps

Denim. Same as above, easy to fix

Ethnicity... How did I miss this? The 100% Caucasian turn out is just wrong for New Mexico workers in the early part of the last century. again, a easy fix.

Will correct them and repost.

I will post some pictures of the corrections as well as a new Santa Fe sectional house I have offered to make for the layout.. 5 days, let's see how far I get. You will probably have to put up with my few photos, john is now sleeping in the garage under the layout to maximise his modelling time.

There are those who think he always did!

Andy

Archived