Once Upon a Time.... in the West

2ManySpams

By Gum, 1,682 of our Earth days have passed since Ol' Spams posted this topic on the web and the boards have not only done a lot of miles, but seen several changes of shape and direction too!  Edit; RMweb only had 10,794 members back then.

In the first 6 months and sixteen pages, the project had really taken off and had generated a life of its own.  However, some time after displaying the vast expanse of polystyrene at the Stafford RMweb open day (July 2011), it was obvious (to me) that it too big to enjoy as the home layout that was part of the original plan.  So, I was quite happy to let it disappear from the headlines and I suppose even happier when in the spring of 2012, our group decided to enter the RMweb/Warners sponsored competition with the new idea which became 'Black Country Blues'.

The nightmarish fairy story of 'Once upon a time' quietly disappeared whilst we all concentrated on BCB through 2012 and 2013 and I was pleased to forget the desert for a while.  Then, last year, in between house repairs, my trusty Jeep expiring and other traumatic stuff, I began to reconsider the project.  As 2014 drew to a close Damian began adding the last Tortoise point motors and associated wiring underneath the third board of the depot and I finished clearing my garage, which was to be the intended home for the layout.

Suddenly it was March 2015 and I received an invite for 'Once upon a time' to attend Warley Exhibition!  After careful consideration (well, a couple phone calls and a few beers) I offered to take a 'working layout, but still a work in progress', if that was acceptable to the NEC exhibition team.

Apparently it was and (with fingers firmly crossed) in 100 days from now, you'll be able to see the latest version of the saga that is "Once upon a time . . . in the West". It is my intention to attempt to produce a weekly post from today until showtime, or at least until loading a big pile of stuff into the inevitable Transit-type van.

Thanks to all my friends who are assisting yet again with another crazy idea.

All the best,

John

• RMweb Gold

It's appearance at Warley may make me make the trek from deepest east Norfolk to the NEC.

Yes I'll make the 7 mile trek to see this too.Will it have the old Treneglos operating team I wonder.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I'll make the 7 mile trek to see this too.Will it have the old Treneglos operating team I wonder.

Nope, won't be doing warley this year. I've been advised by the powers that be at work that I'm likely to be busy on the run up to and over Christmas. Accordingly I'm not committing myself to any weekend train related events.

The first post (661 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28773-once-upon-a-time-in-the-west/?p=1990601) of the latest re-incarnation was, of course, written with the hindsight of the last five years experiences and was therefore reflective and was only intended to include a brief overview of all the factors connected with the project, to bring everyone 'back up to speed' so to speak.  Over the last 15 years, I've helped to build several model railways with the same group of friends, but rarely have any proved as difficult as this one to keep on track!

Anyway, here's the first weekly report (day 93 before Warley) and again it begins with a recap on the most important decisions made since Damian added the last of the Tortoises in March.  Before accepting the invitation to Warley exhibition, I considered what I thought was possible by the show, this time bearing in mind that whatever I decided to produce MUST work as the foundations for my home layout, upon its return.

The positives were: I had three boards now all with Peco Code 83 track & points, with motors and first fix wiring completed.  I had quite a stock of other base-boards, from the earlier ideas, plus several structures and buildings, all more than half-finished.  I had several locomotives, all of the appropriate type and period, chipped and ready-to-roll, plus six passenger cars, about forty freight vehicles and four cabooses!  More than enough stock for a short-line across a patch of desert.

So, I dug out the very first plan and began balancing the idea of an end-to-end operated exhibition layout against the constraints of a home (roundy-roundy) layout situated in a single car garage.  Then with the four centre-piece boards set up (each 48" x 24" / 1220 x 610mm) ready to attach the bus-wire, I tested whether the up and over door would clear the 48" high trackbed in situ and whether all the ancillary equipment/tools would still be accessible.

I also wanted this layout to be quick and easy to erect, by a pensioner!  Quite a few years ago, Chris, Damian and myself built Treneglos (British, Southern Region in Cornwall, with a 20 foot scenic section and 2x 6 foot turntable fiddleyards) using the principle of a master-board (4 legs) and add on sections, piggy-backing with only 2 legs, which proved a simple solution for boards up to 4' x 2'.  Treneglos (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28781-treneglos-the-ace-on-the-north-cornwall-railway/?p=302765) also had a virtually free-standing lighting canopy, with pelmets and 'vanity' display boards and a 24" high back-scene.  For exhibition purposes, IMO, all these features are desirable, but were they possible in the available timescale?

So, back to Once upon a time progress.  Over the last few months, I've designed a stand-alone canopy upon which to hang pelmets, lights and back-scene, giving a 22 foot (6600mm) free area under which to erect six 4' x 2' boards, using the 'master and piggy-back' system.  The four boards you can see us working on (best shot is in post 647 - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28773-once-upon-a-time-in-the-west/?p=1961972) will form the centre-piece of this diorama and then there will be two extra boards (one at each end) followed by fiddle-yard boards outside the canopy area.  The fiddle-yards will use the redundant Treneglos aluminum cassettes, which Damian tested earlier (see post 590 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28773-once-upon-a-time-in-the-west/?p=1827599).

How much of this latest idea will be ready for Warley?  Well . . .

Currently, the steelwork for the canopy has been constructed by my brother, Nigel, and the final parts should be delivered on Bank Holiday Monday.  All the extra boards are almost ready and now have legs and adjustable feet fitted.  Chris has rebuilt the canyon board and I am building a new bridge for the main-line across it, based upon an example in Abo Canyon, constructed by the ATSF in 1907 from steel spans and concrete pillars.  The lighting system has been delivered, but remains untested.  The backscene has been discussed and a test produced.  The bus wiring beneath the depot boards was completed by Andy Y and the track is now equipped with point decoders, supplied by my local model shop Topp Trains of Stafford.

All it needs now is the model railway finishing!

More news next week and perhaps even some more relevant pictures.

All it needs now is the model railway finishing!

John,

Before anyone says that you are modeling a “railroad” - even now the BNSF describes itself as a railway, as do many others.

Membership of “Friends of BNSF”  is free (or was) you too can receive some entertaining emails...........

Best, Pete.

John,

Before anyone says that you are modeling a “railroad” - even now the BNSF describes itself as a railway, as do many others.

Membership of “Friends of BNSF”  is free (or was) you too can receive some entertaining emails...........

Best, Pete.

Thanks Pete, (or should that be Ishmael? ref post 551)

Good to see that you're still following the epic !?!

All the very best,

Johnny Pensioner!

• RMweb Gold

Many happy returns of the day John

Andy

I'll take a wild guess here that today is OG's birthday..

Spookily, it is also Mrs Stubby's birthday, but she is nowhere near as old.

All the best John, hope you get all the navel fluff you desire.

Archived