Steel Making on Teeside

Hi Ruston. That name reminds me of when I was sixteen and banksman to an old RB 10 Backacter !

Anyway, unfortunately I can't find any pics of the steelworks in my files but you can find them by going to the Scenery, Structures and Transport section under my thread Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes, page one, post #15.

However, I do have pictures of some of the plant that was built for it - just don't ask me what anything is supposed to be !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-54371700-1487615335_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-23599300-1487615376_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-60320700-1487615416_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-14401300-1487615477_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-12818700-1487615510_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-84371900-1487615574_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Slightly (/) off topic I wonder if anyone can identify the location of these DL loco's from the attached scans? 

All the undated pics were taken by J.T. Clewly. 

The one of No. 36 includes J26 65744 which was withdrawn in Feb. '59 which might help to narrow the date down a bit.

Many thanks,

Nick.

post-19032-0-57820800-1498681897_thumb.jpg

post-19032-0-47886400-1498681935_thumb.jpg

post-19032-0-70351000-1498681972_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Birmingham Locomotive Clubs Pocket Book K. "Industrial Locomotives of North Yorkshire 1963"

Currently in reprint.

http://irsshop.co.uk/Handbooks

Any of Colin Mountfords Industrial Locomotives of County Durham books which includes Dorman Long Locomotives transferred to Dorman Long Collieries in the County and those sold to outside concerns, eg. Seaham Harbour Dock Company.

Birmingham Locomotive Clubs Pocket Book K. "Industrial Locomotives of North Yorkshire 1963"

Currently in reprint.

http://irsshop.co.uk/Handbooks

Any of Colin Mountfords Industrial Locomotives of County Durham books which includes Dorman Long Locomotives transferred to Dorman Long Collieries in the County and those sold to outside concerns, eg. Seaham Harbour Dock Company.

Thanks very much for the info.  But has the reprint of the 1963 N. Yorks book also been updated? 

I'm fairly certain this, or a very similar building, is still standing in the old Ironmasters district.

Not the power house Dave. The old test house still stands (See image below) . I think it was going to be to expensive too demolish due to the foundations being too deep set.

Loco 43 is about to ascend the incline into Britannia Works. It's a hundred yards or so due North of the test house. X marks the spot.

post-508-0-15039600-1498747323_thumb.jpg

The test house is at top right.

Google Street view:

https://goo.gl/maps/NcNPUsn6gBp

Detail from:

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW032000

I've counted 12 steam locos (and three steam cranes) in the full screen image.

The power house stood in what is now industrial units on Bowes Ind Estate.

Right here:

https://goo.gl/maps/6SyiB9C6Q1M2

Good view of Pinky & Perky across at what was ICI.

It can be seen quite clearly on some of the Britain from above images.

Thanks very much for the info.  But has the reprint of the 1963 N. Yorks book also been updated?

Not according to the link I posted.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just seen a couple of Teesside related articles in the July Bylines. A couple of photos of Head Wrightson locos and a feature on Cochrane's foundry locos.

A little further a field is an article on Doxford locos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Does anyone have a reasonable sketch map of the various rail systems at Dorman Long which could be used to accompany an article on the subject for Railway Bylines?

Thanks,

Nick..

There is a site plan here

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im20160414RB-DormanLongmap.jpg

But for the railway connections a copy of the historic 25"OS would probably be best?

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Keith,

I may have to go to the National Library of Scotland for an OS of this.

Cheers,

Nick.

Hi Nick,

I had a look earlier at the 25" sheets available on the NLS site, which are pre-WWII as far as I can tell, but there is a 1:25,000 OS sheet for the post-war period and an amazing number of lines for the various works along the Tees are shown on this

http://maps.nls.uk/view/91629720

the 6" sheets have a revision date of the late '30s, eg

http://maps.nls.uk/view/100941353

which I guess might be better for getting a sense of the lines' geography.

I'll look forward to the article!

all the best,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

Thanks Keith.

No pressure then!

The batch of engine pics I have all seem to be located at the Acklam and Britannia complexes, so I'll have to get a detailed map of that area plus a general map of the overall complex.  

It was an incredible network in its day and difficult to do justice to in a fairly short photo essay - but I'll do my best!

Cheers,

Nick. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My mother gave me this yesterday, which she'd found in my late father's papers. He was in road haulage and did a lot of work for Warners through the 1970s until he got out in 1978 and found other things to do. This must have been published after 1960, but not long after by the appearance of it. I haven't found a date. It's quite comprehensive on what they do; I've only scanned the cover, inside page and the centre spread photo.

warners_booklet_cover_small.jpg

warners_booklet_inside_small.jpg

warners_booklet_works_photo_1_small.jpg

warners_booklet_works_photo_2_small.jpg

My recollection of going into the works was that there were nowhere near as many rail wagons and the weighbridge was somewhere in the middle of this picture. They did still have two locomotives, right to the end. One was an 88DS, I think - certainly a Ruston - which was scrapped when they closed. My dad asked for one of the nameplates from the other and later gave it to me.

julia.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much gentlemen.

Any idea when steam finished at DL?

Nick.

As far as I am aware last two steam locos with BSC on former DL system was Cyclops and Beatty, neither had seen traffic use for a number of years Cyclops haven been in the apprentice school and Beatty spare to two planets at Dock st site, or so I was told by former staff, the were officially off the books in 1974 although Cyclops was on long term loan to Tanfeild and ownership was transferred more recently. Edited by Beatty 139

• 1 year later...

This brings back memories.  (Malcolm (Nick) Carson. Owton Manor in those days)

Back in early, mid '50's. My mum drove the overhead crane in plate mill on the rollers.

South Durham works.

(Ada Carson Born 1913 died at 98yrs). I worked there for a while too as a "stamper" on the plates.

But it wasn't for me. I went on Suttons Trawlers for a coupla trips. then in the army to get a trade.

Lived here in Australia for last 46 yrs.  (77 yrs now)

BEST move I ever made, believe me.

Went back to see mum in 2000. The bloody place ain't changed much. I'm awful glad I got out of there believe me.

Nostalgia.  maybe,  But believe me. There ARE a lot better places in the world to live.

And your air is still black as hell. Not like it was back in the '40's/50's when I lived there though.

I did come back in construction though when they building Nuclear Power Stn though ('64ish)

digging the cooling Tower pits. Didn't stay long.

If anybody Knows of Jackie RHYMER or either of her sisters and they still alive.

Ask them to contact me on this E'Mail addy. (kiwa170642 at bigpond dot com

I'd like to hear from her.

Edited by Macka17
Adition
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just going back to the beginnings of this thread and the criticisms made then of Middlesbrough Football Club for using German steel in the construction of the Riverside Stadium. I am very surprised that those criticising on here are not aware that Middlesbrough Football Club was COMPELLED to buy that steel from Germany because of European Union competition rules.  I am quite certain that if the Club or its owner, Steve Gibson, who is a VERY proud Teessider, had had any choice in the matter they would have insisted on the steel for the stadium being made on Teesside but the fact Is that they had to buy it from the German tenderer, under strict EU competition laws. IT WAS THE LAW! 

12 hours ago, D9001 said:

Just going back to the beginnings of this thread and the criticisms made then of Middlesbrough Football Club for using German steel in the construction of the Riverside Stadium. I am very surprised that those criticising on here are not aware that Middlesbrough Football Club was COMPELLED to buy that steel from Germany because of European Union competition rules.  I am quite certain that if the Club or its owner, Steve Gibson, who is a VERY proud Teessider, had had any choice in the matter they would have insisted on the steel for the stadium being made on Teesside but the fact Is that they had to buy it from the German tenderer, under strict EU competition laws. IT WAS THE LAW! 

Calm down, please, there's no need to shout. This is a nice quiet corner of RMweb and we don't need someone to drag up a dormant topic for no other reason than to get shouty about the E.U.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 8 months later...