Class 47 - Painted!

James

post-125-0-32236200-1302105542_thumb.jpg

Just a little progress - end details with new handrails, top lamp irons, buffers and steps, but they have a real impact in making it appear substantially more complete! And there's been one change to the spec though I can still claim it to be a budget project as I found this 'in stock' but had forgotten about it!

post-125-0-60625900-1302105603_thumb.jpg

The previous motor has already been earmarked for another 47!

This view shows the fillet in the horn cover which has rid us of the 'leaning back' stance - small change but definately worth the effort.

post-125-0-98155200-1302105565_thumb.jpg

There's still work to do around the windows - mostly tidying up the appearance before repainting. The handrail also needs a little attention but hopefully you can see the effect of the work around the valance. So many little changes with this loco but they seem to all add up!

post-125-0-06844600-1302105681_thumb.jpg

post-125-0-60625900-1302105603_thumb.jpg

The previous motor has already been earmarked for another 47!

I've been following this thread with great interest and am going to have a go myself at bashing one of these Lima 47s. I couldn't help noticing you replaced the motor. How many axles are you driving from this gearbox? Would love to know how you did it!

Adriano

I'm afraid i can't take credit for the new motor arrangement - it's an Ultrascale replacement motor bogie (which drives on three axles incidentally). I think they're discontinued but given the nature of Ultrascale's work I'm sure they'd be able to manufacture one if requested.

I'm afraid i can't take credit for the new motor arrangement - it's an Ultrascale replacement motor bogie (which drives on three axles incidentally). I think they're discontinued but given the nature of Ultrascale's work I'm sure they'd be able to manufacture one if requested.

They are discontinued. It was Ultrascale's alternative to the Portescap, with their own contrate-and-pinion drive and a non-coreless motor. The only example I've seen seemed to be a bit stiff.

They are discontinued. It was Ultrascale's alternative to the Portescap, with their own contrate-and-pinion drive and a non-coreless motor. The only example I've seen seemed to be a bit stiff.

I thought they were but with a business where everything is made to order, can't do any harm asking.

This one is a lovely runner, no hint of stiffness at all and very controllable. :)

I think it would be pretty good but then, Formil's bogie was well engineered too - Ultrascale scores on avoiding the possibility of slipped gears.

But in general Dyna-Drive FTW I think :D

Brimalin (sp?) still do as far as I know - they're the sweedish company who make the clutches - the heart of the system but I'm not sure on Formil who made all the loco specific parts for British outline locos.

Their downfall wasn't DCC but whilst the system was six or so times more costly than a standard Lima or Hornby loco it was six times (and the rest) better! When the new 25 appeared from Bachmann the price wasn't far off the previous Hornby and Lima models, so Dyna Drive was still around five times the cost but all wheel drive with a nice big motor meant it wasn't five times better.

I still think it is more satisfying than any anologue or digital control sytem I've seen because the loco itself is behaving with the feeling of mass because it has massive flywheels which cannot be stopped by pressing a red button! DCC locos are just programmed to behave like that...

• 5 weeks later...
James - looks brilliant! Can't wait to see it painted and weathered now! :D

Thanks matt! And you're not the only one! :lol:

Just to add that MRJ 63 has an excellent article on the class and ssome superb underframe shots too. I'd forgotten to mention it before - the following issue had a follow up where Monty Wells (no relation) built the MOK kit.

Cheeky sod Matt! :lol:

post-125-0-91188000-1305145918_thumb.jpg

But a little progress! Just a few little additions around the underframe, and it is very much an impression of the equipment which should work once painted and 'in the flesh' so to speak. Photos will obviously highlight sone of the simplification but for a working model I'm wary of the effects of handling.

post-125-0-14230400-1305145929_thumb.jpg

The new parts should be visable in these close ups.

post-125-0-44470600-1305145945_thumb.jpg

Think it's on the home straight now! Once I'm back at work I should be able to finish off the underframe :)

Thanks Matt!

It's coming along quite nicely now, just a few small bits to go on then painting :)

Sadly I didn't have time to sort my stuff to bring with me today, so I'm a bit frustrated that I have a very quiet 12 hour shift with nothing other than books with which to fill my time!

Thanks Rik! :)

It's been six months on and off working on it in short bursts. With a few decent evening sessions on a similar project it would, no doubt, progress much faster than that. The one advnatage of working slowly is it gives you chance to carefully consider each stage and, sometimes, a chance to go back and re-do parts with which you're not 100% happy.

• RMweb Gold

working slowly is something i'm only just getting my head to understand, ive ruined a class 37 body and a few shawplan bits doing my 37 hence no piccys for a bit, but ive been taking notes from carls thread and slowly I seem to be getting back to the stage where my last post was on my thread, but working slowly is hard work when your an impatient soul like me!

Thanks Matt!

It's coming along quite nicely now, just a few small bits to go on then painting :)

Sadly I didn't have time to sort my stuff to bring with me today, so I'm a bit frustrated that I have a very quiet 12 hour shift with nothing other than books with which to fill my time!

Wish I'd have known.

I'd have popped over the crossing for a brew! :yes:

The 47's coming along nicely James.

Cheers.

Sean.

• 3 months later...

Although the Underframe tank is different, it should be possible ... although the Lima underframe just has the battery boxes moulded. The Hornby one comes with the water tanks as well moulded to the battery boxes, so depending on which 47 youre trying to model you may have to remove the water tanks from the Hornby model, or remove the moulding altogether

NL

Hello Ian,

There's no reason at all why you can't use the same methods when dealing with the Hornby model - in fact the Hornby body is very well proportioned, it's just a little basic compared with other models, it's what betrays its age really. It'd probably not bother with the Hornby underframe though - it's very basic and will need a huge amount of work to bring some of the fundamentals upto standard, and you should be able to acquire cheap Lima parts and use the chassis frame and bogie and apply the same methods as I have. Although the Lima frame is a battery box varient it can easily be used as the basis for all versions of the underframes.

If you have a look here, there are photos of Peter Johnson's Class 47s which use Hornby models as a basis -

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb56.html

This photo shows just how well the Hornby body can look -

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/canada_omwb127.jpg

And with the newer Shawplan parts it can easily be taken to a whole new level.

I have a few updates for this thread but I'm away with work at the moment so haven't had chance to take any photos but I have a couple more locos to start very soon!

You could also do this to the Hornby 47...

Sorry if the Photo is blurry ... Hornby 47 im bebuliding for my friend.. quick run down, added Lima cabs: horn box re-profiled and weld joins added made out of fine strip, rebuilt sections of the roof, Chassis is Bachmann one with Heljan Bufferbeams, underframe tank is Bachmann but also modifyed, to become 47711 "Greyfairs Bobby" in Scotrail

NL

post-3095-0-94176700-1314216378_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ready for the paint shop!

Just a very quick update from me on this but the new parts really have made a huge difference - the new windscreen surrounds from Shawplan are absolutely superb and really help with the loco's 'face'.

So nearly there now :)

post-125-0-99477700-1315085495.jpg

Archived