Class 47 - Painted!

James

Hi James. A mate of mine (nabit on here) had the dreaded chassis swell on one of his 47's. He contacted Howes, who appear to be Heljan's spare parts holders in the UK. They said to send the chassis to them, so I stripped it down to the bare block for him and off it went. Lo and behold, a while later a good condition, secondhand ''complete'' chassis arrived! And I got to keep the left overs, now in a class 90!!! Might be worth the phone call. no moaning necessarily! hth, kev.

Thanks for that Kev!

I'm not over bothered about a replacement - I have a number of spare Heljan parts including an unaffected chassis whch I could use under the old body.

I just see it as the catalyst for some modelling really!

• RMweb Gold

Don't put yourself down!

A lot of what I've done with the Lima body in this thread can easily be applied to all the other options for 47s. I even have a couple of spare Hornby bodies and am considering using one at some point! My aim is have consistency across my models, so the ability to repeat the exercise is very important. Also I ideally want to be able to have the Lima based models stand happily alongside other class 47s from other bases. These could be Bachmann or Vi Trains.

The only model which won't site easily, I suspect, with the other models will be the Heljan model which is a shame as i rather like it!

One from a few years ago -

DSCF2304a.jpg

Eagle eyed viewers may be able to spot the source of the bogies for the latest model!

like the look of this loco

just out of interest what exactly is wrong withe the Hornby body? ive seen some people sing it's praises and some say it looks rubbish.

like the look of this loco

Thank you :)

just out of interest what exactly is wrong withe the Hornby body? ive seen some people sing it's praises and some say it looks rubbish.

People who say it looks rubbish are wrong - it's basic but the overall shape is very good indeed. In fact one of the bast Class 47 models I've seen was by Ken Gibbons and based on the Hornby model.

The windscreens need to be wider, but with the Shawplan windscreen etch (as seen earlier in this thread) would make this quite an easy task. The side windows need extending forwards by the width of the beading and that's essentially it round the cab. Only other thing required would be to curve the cowling around the bufferbeam to follow the shape of the cab front.

Have a look here for a demonstration of how the Hornby model can look -

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb56.html

..... the overall shape is very good indeed. In fact one of the bast Class 47 models I've seen was by Ken Gibbons and based on the Hornby model.

The windscreens need to be wider, but with the Shawplan windscreen etch (as seen earlier in this thread) would make this quite an easy task. The side windows need extending forwards by the width of the beading and that's essentially it round the cab. Only other thing required would be to curve the cowling around the bufferbeam to follow the shape of the cab front.....

I foresee a run on old Hornby bodyshells now....

• RMweb Gold

Thank you :)

People who say it looks rubbish are wrong - it's basic but the overall shape is very good indeed. In fact one of the bast Class 47 models I've seen was by Ken Gibbons and based on the Hornby model.

The windscreens need to be wider, but with the Shawplan windscreen etch (as seen earlier in this thread) would make this quite an easy task. The side windows need extending forwards by the width of the beading and that's essentially it round the cab. Only other thing required would be to curve the cowling around the bufferbeam to follow the shape of the cab front.

Have a look here for a demonstration of how the Hornby model can look -

http://www.emgauge70...del_omwb56.html

i've seen this site and was very impressed with the models on it, definatly someting to aspire to.

Thanks for the info on what needs to be done as I have got one what I have been thinking about doing something to, if only ruining it

Had a little bit of time to get the basics of the new loco sorted over the last couple of days. The photos were taken on the 'bench' at work!

post-125-0-23476400-1337958882.jpg

The basic chassis set up - althought plastic bearings aren't ideal, the arrangement should be fine as there's very little movement in the cross member so it shouldn't wear out easily.

post-125-0-30806400-1337958926_thumb.jpg

And finally a broadsie view - I rather like the combination of the Vi Trains body with the Heljan bogies :)

post-125-0-13155700-1337958986_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

A little bit of progress and look rather rough round the edges (I need to run a little black ink round the edges of the glazing pieces in particular to remove the white edges they have), but only a few small parts to add and finishing weathering the body and it'll be done all being well.

post-125-0-76966600-1349710667.jpg

Not to bad thanks Sean! A week and a half off with plenty of trains :D Can't be bad! And with full Suzi-approval too! :D

That's looking very nice James.

Thank you :) And it runs quite nicely too which is quite pleasing!

I'd agree with the windows needing some colouring, but it's only noticeable once you've drawn our eyes to it, (to me anyhow).

I'll use indian ink which does it nicely and easily wiped off the glazing - surprisingly effective.

It is the Lima one, so thank you :)

The hybrid one hasn't moved on at all I'm afraid, but another 47 is on the cards which will be based around a Bachmann mechanism with Penbits bouncy parts :D Not sure what body I'll use yet though.

• 6 months later...

... I think it depends on the majority vote... i.e. which you'll have most or all of. The problem comes, as stated by others to which I have to agree, when you start mixing models with different bodies. The ViT and Lima might look ok with a Bach... but would the Heljan look a little bit tubby in comparison? The Heljan does look "right" in profile... it has that facial look that seems just "right"... partly due to the handrail position I think... which I had to lower on the Bach to get the same feel. For running, yes it's probably the Bachmann one. although I do like the ViT bogie frames and I will be using these next time... I just need to see whether the ViT face looks right with scale windscreen frames or whether it's slightly narrow look will defeat that?

I think you're right to go with the penbits items... please let us know if Ian produces some more detailed instructions and I might give mine a go sometime... I've a spare chassis in the drawer waiting for its moment. ... although it might be waiting a while.

Good luck with the decision... and at the show next week.

Jon

post-125-0-22012500-1366993020_thumb.jpg

Finished (aside from lighting, but that'll come later!) at last!

post-125-0-29404000-1366993134_thumb.jpg

There will certainly be more Lima based Class 47s on the way - quite pleased with this one :)

She's one of our MOMs - Mick said he thought you were at block school together!

No. I think she had a year or so in before I joined. I started in 1992 I think which shockingly is over 20 years ago! More to the point, the 47 you have modelled was still a very common sight on the railways.

I'm looking forward to doing my 47's although they may be a while off getting underway. I do have a few parts already for when I get round to it though.

Cheers.

Sean.

Archived