HEBRIDEAN ISLES FERRY

carl1967

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!

These latest pics could put back my release from the clinic weeks, if not months. I was due to be let out tomorrow as there hadn't been any pics for a while and now they won't say when they'll let me out. Heeeeelp!! I'm cured, believe me. I don't want one, I don't have the room and anyway even if I did want one I don't have anywhere to put it and... and...

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

It was coming on great, but I need some more 2X1 from B&Q to go underneath. Getting to B&Q has become a bit problem at the moment. Linkspan coming on. Will post some pics soon. Jetty is going to go on the starboard side of 'Heb'.

speak soon

Mike

PS Note change of user name, to make same as all my real railway ones.

i have done the balcony wall round the forword observation deck today, just needs sanding smooth before painting. then the red seating....OMG 100s of them i have to make...lol

I poped into the 4D modelshop the other day and noticed these

http://www.modelshop.co.uk/product/1%3A100_chair_basic_Pk6_MU21012#

whilst peering at their architectural parts, they might be a bit small, but would do the job, and would be a consistent size. They do a much larger pack as well.

Jon

I poped into the 4D modelshop the other day and noticed these

http://www.modelshop...ic_Pk6_MU21012#

whilst peering at their architectural parts, they might be a bit small, but would do the job, and would be a consistent size. They do a much larger pack as well.

Jon

thanks for that jon but i need them to be 1/76 and they do not do that scale. each seat is 5.5mm and 1/100 scale are far to small.

i have been doing the genarator room roof detail today, new pics!! the paint is still wet...lol

post-6809-12613186772246_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12613187015911_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12613187248096_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12613187492919_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12613187725377_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12613188000236_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12613188178986_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi all

sorry for the long stint!!! but its cold up them there stairslaugh.gif

but i have been up there working on Heb for the last two days, but its still to dam cold up there so progress is slow!!

new pictures of what i have done today are of the bridge deck raillings and air conditioning duct.

more soonlaugh.gif laugh.gif

post-6809-12648833738165_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12648834008632_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12648834247914_thumb.jpg

Hi Carl,

This is really looking good now. Just one question.... How do you intend to do the Cal Mac lettering and the ship's name? A trip to the local signwriter's for vinyls?

I know what you mean about the cold - It has all but stopped my modelling too!

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Carl,

This is really looking good now. Just one question.... How do you intend to do the Cal Mac lettering and the ship's name? A trip to the local signwriter's for vinyls?

I know what you mean about the cold - It has all but stopped my modelling too!

Cheers,

Chris.

hi chris

all letering is going to be painted on!

Hi Carl.

That is a very impresive model you have built. Still no sign of those red plastic seats yet wink.gif wink.gif . They must be your worst nightmare to make!!!

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

the seats are sorted!! I am going to make a mold from milliput, a male and a female side, witch i will set two rows of ten, then i can just press out as many seats as i wish out of heated plastic card.

I have made molds from milliput before and its fantastic stuff.

I made a mold from milliput for a revel 1/32 Tornado Gr-1 to convert it to Gr-4 for the Perth show. It got 2nd in the 1/32 section.

See pictures, I have circled the part i molded.

post-6809-1264979376884_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12649805860023_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12649806135363_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12649806369266_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12649806616543_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12649806859884_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12649807077341_thumb.jpg

post-6809-1264980734159_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12649807568461_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12649807822472_thumb.jpg

post-6809-1264980784493_thumb.jpg

carl.........you need to see a doctor, mate!

seriously good stuff here....

can you go into more detail on this milliput/plastic moulding malarky, sounds like it could come in handy for a later project.

cheers,

scott.

carl.........you need to see a doctor, mate!

seriously good stuff here....

can you go into more detail on this milliput/plastic moulding malarky, sounds like it could come in handy for a later project.

cheers,

scott.

Hi Scott

Its hard to explain! But I can do a step-by-step process with pictures and text, when I get round to doing it.

But basically all you do is make what it is your going to mould out of milliput, make it on the end of a tapered piece and leave to set, when set carve and sand to shape, or if its a part you already have, stick it to the end of a unset block of milliput and let set, then taper the milliput out away from the parts edges. Then, Mix milliput and form it in to a block, then press the part you made in to it, using car polish on the part so it releases from the milliput. Remove part and leave to set hard. (This is the female side) When set, sand flat the moulded side, the side with the part, sand it very smooth to like 1200 grit. But make shore you do not sand too much off. Also make shore the sides down to the part taper out not in.

Then mix up she same amount of milliput, using car polish, brush the female mould so it has plenty polish on it and in the moulded part. Then press the unset milliput in to the mould and leave to set. When set pull apart very carefully. Then sand off up to 1mm from this male side to give clearance for the plastic card.

Brush car polish on male and female sides, Put female side on the bench, place plastic card over it and worm with a heat gun and then press male side in to female side!! Job done. You only have to worm the plastic card, do not melt it. Or it will all go wrong.

If they are stuck together you did not put enough polish on and you might have to do it again. But you can try prying it with a small screwdriver. You mite be lucky.

Air bubbles can be a problem but the polish helps, you will hit snags with this process but if you get it right you end up with a mould for life.

Carl

There was another interesting technique in the month's Air Modeller to do a 2 seat Lightening cockpit with a Miliput mould and a vacuum forming machine, there was no outer used with that method, the part being made in 2 halves. Making rounded objects in an over or in boiling water is about as adventurous as i've got with plastic-card!

That Tornado is superb and its nice to see examples of other disciplines and techniques shown on here (though ironically its in a boat thread anyway ;)).