Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I don't want to overdo the praise and get into fawning territory but the more I see your work the more three things become apparent

1. I am a keen photographer of full-sized railways and I would be very pleased with a lot of your shots if I produced them from real-life subjects
  2. The models you build are superb and your eye for detail is amazing (the rubbish on the ballast in front of that MK1 for instance)
  3. Even with great models, your ability to photograph them so well and so "realistically" is up there with the leading magazine guys like Chris Nervard and Andy Y (hopefully he's busy at Peterborough and I wont get a yellow card!)

You are indeed multi-talented and I for one can't get too much of your work - thank you

Hi Dave,

I don't want to overdo the praise and get into fawning territory but the more I see your work the more three things become apparent

1. I am a keen photographer of full-sized railways and I would be very pleased with a lot of your shots if I produced them from real-life subjects
  2. The models you build are superb and your eye for detail is amazing (the rubbish on the ballast in front of that MK1 for instance)
  3. Even with great models, your ability to photograph them so well and so "realistically" is up there with the leading magazine guys like Chris Nervard and Andy Y (hopefully he's busy at Peterborough and I wont get a yellow card!)

You are indeed multi-talented and I for one can't get too much of your work - thank you

Thank you, Colin, that's very, very kind! 

You bring up some interesting points actually, as I always try and make a point of photographing models in the same way I would the real thing. I always try and get down to the model "human eye level", as I think that in itself instantly makes for a much more realistic photograph. Maximum depth of field is another factor, as is natural lighting, which I think makes a huge difference too. 

As regards detail, I think modelling a real prototype makes this aspect much easier. I don't even need to know what things do in order to model them. There is a lot more detail to be added to the layout yet (pipework on the retaining wall and details around the Mound Tunnel, cabling along platform faces, etc., etc. etc.), all based around photos and often without much idea as to what they actually do!

Thanks for the feedback. It really is very much appreciated and spurs me on.  :)  

Cheers

Dave

PS The cheque's in the post as my side of the bargain!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't get too modest, there Dave  - we are very fortunate to be able to follow the ups and downs of a number of iconic layouts - this one, and Peter Midwinter's among them - I reckon if WW went on the circuit, they would be serious competition for the silverware.

Hi Dave

Just been catching up with your thread. There are some truly excellent photos on there. Also saw the new acquisition as in the Ferry, a masterpiece without doubt. Can't wait to see that Oban extension start to develop. Remember it's only RA 5 up there, so looking forward to plenty more stunning photo's of EE Type 3 traction.

Regards

Marcus.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Dave & other WW followers.

How time flies, I can't believe it's been over 18 months since I last trawled through your thread, and what a couple of great hours I have just spent catching up.

I too don't want to sound too creepy, but....WOW....the modelling, lighting and composition of photo's are more stunning now than ever. Words fail to describe just how fantastic everything looks. 

I love what you are doing with Haymarket, it is going to look brilliant.

I just want to take this opportunity to say that I agree with other peoples sentiments regarding modelling what "pleases" each individual person and not to worry about what other people may think. I have always modelled for me in mind, no one else, and if others find pleasure with what I have done then that's a bonus.

Hopefully it won't be another 18 months before I revisit, but then again it probably will be so thankfully I can start from this page if it's the case.

Stunning, stunning, stunning..... and superb. ( No monies have changed hands )

Paul W

HI Dave & other WW followers.

How time flies, I can't believe it's been over 18 months since I last trawled through your thread, and what a couple of great hours I have just spent catching up.

I too don't want to sound too creepy, but....WOW....the modelling, lighting and composition of photo's are more stunning now than ever. Words fail to describe just how fantastic everything looks. 

I love what you are doing with Haymarket, it is going to look brilliant.

I just want to take this opportunity to say that I agree with other peoples sentiments regarding modelling what "pleases" each individual person and not to worry about what other people may think. I have always modelled for me in mind, no one else, and if others find pleasure with what I have done then that's a bonus.

Hopefully it won't be another 18 months before I revisit, but then again it probably will be so thankfully I can start from this page if it's the case.

Stunning, stunning, stunning..... and superb. ( No monies have changed hands )

Paul W

Cheers Paul. Much appreciated. Glad you are enjoying the thread!

Dave

Hi folks, 

Another quick pit-stop update. 58050 is now undergoing some final adjustments to its bogies (my younger daughter loves using that word and getting away with it) to prevent derailments on curves and will then be ready for release from the works.

The inspection saloon is very nearly complete too. This has undergone the usual WW weathering and been fitted with interior lights and suitably officious looking characters (with apologies to any and all past and present inspectors on here) as well as documents on the table.

The tribometer train is also complete and ready to roll.

A blue-grey 101 has now entered the works at last and is a priority job for weathering, populating with a driver and passengers and sound fitting, plus the fitting of new suitable destination blinds.

Work is also progressing on the depot concrete area, which is now almost ready for spraying. 

A couple of quick pics while I'm here...

post-7247-0-18205700-1415308891_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-39129800-1415308922_thumb.jpg

More photos to follow soon I hope.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic photos Dave!

As usual - we can't see the layout in reality, as it's a stay at home, but the photos really do convey the atmosphere of WW.  I was in Edinburgh the other day, and was longing to get down to Waverley to compare the reality with the model, but time did not permit.

I've just been catching up with your thread and stunning pics.

The pics always remind of the time I spent a couple of weeks in the early 80s at the Carlton Hotel, with a room overlooking Waverley station.

I thought you might like this pic. A pair of 20s arriving on a late running service from Inverness. (If my memory serves me correctly)

post-7898-0-92053500-1415470695_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 12

Hi Dave,

Great work on the inspection coach. What colours did you use for the interior? They look about right to me. 

Cheers Peter.

PS How do you get the body off?

Edited by P.C.M